Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hi,

Sorry if this subject has been broached elsewhere...I did a search and didn't find anything.

I currently have the ppc6700 with sprint and am considering switching to the Treo 700W. I have owned the Treo 600 and 650 in the past (both via sprint) and loved them, with the exception of the need for a third party application to enable the use of an mp3 as a ringtone. I switched to the WM5 based PPC6700. I have been pretty satisfied with it and especially like the fact that I can transfer an mp3 into the ringer file within windows mobile and ...poof... it shows up in the ringer list and is immediately usable. Since the Treo 700 also has WM5 I was wondering if mp3 files are usable with the 700 without a third party software install. Anyone know?

Thanks,
    Mike
    you can use an mp3, but you must use windows media player sync on your PC, because the windows media player only plays wmv or midi files, the windows media sync, will convert it to the proper format to use as a ringtone
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks Larry...................so what kind of sync software is included with the treo 700? I would assume MS active sync since it's WM5. I'm wondering if / when a palm version of the 700 will be released. I'm in a prime position right now and should probably wait to see what happens in Q1 because I can dump sprint at anytime since my contract duration agreement is up in a couple of days.
    -Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    hmmmm, I put a bunch of MP3s on my SD card, and was able to use them just fine as ringers without messing with the Windows Media part of the sync process. Just to check, I hit Windows Explorer a minute ago, went to the Treo, and copied an MP3 over, and it worked fine as a ringer as well. These are complete songs BTW...
    same here. I use mp3s as ringtones all the time. But just in case, I just tried it again to be sure...it works just fine...you can even use video tones and have the video you choose pop up on your screen when you get a call...
    Video ring tones....Now that is...AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    I think the other posters were referring to audio files not video files. Audio mp3 files work fine as ringtones. Even if video files work well too as ringtones on the Treo 700w, the video files are probably going to use too much of the resources of the 700 each time your phone rings.
    Is there a way to make custon mp3 ringtones for the 700 by using your own cd's without buying a software program that never works?
    I have run into a problem with MP3 ringtones. I was using a 3.5mb mp3 file and found that sometimes the phone would hang when hitting the answer key. It wouldn't completely freeze, but for instance one time the music stopped when I answered but the vibration motor kept going while I was on my phone conversation. Anyways to fix this problem I have shortened my mp3 ringtone files to about 30 second clips. Since doing this I have had no problems.
    What is actually a good program for turning the MP3's into shorter files for ringtones? I know that sounds like a total "newb" question, but I am! I just purchased my Treo on Tuesday and I am still learning what all it can do.

Thanks for your help!
    mp3's work fine as ring tones, just go to manage and add the files from an SD card or a place on the device you saved them too. SD card is much easier method.

i use the mp3>wav>mp3 method to shorten up the mp3 ringtones I want to use. Acoustica wav converter I think it's called.

Now using a video for a ringer, never done it, but now I have something else to hack on....cool.....
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the info guys.........I really appreciate it.

As for making mp3 files smaller....there is a program I use called Power Mp3 cutter that does the job very simply. I use the trial version which limits you to 20 seconds or so........but it's perfect for ringtones!
    audacity is a free mp3 editing tool. You can also export in wav and wma i beleive. Also iTunes is a good free program for pulling music off of a cd with, just make sure you change the import method to mp3 instead of AAC.
    Quote Originally Posted by likestech
    I think the other posters were referring to audio files not video files. Audio mp3 files work fine as ringtones. Even if video files work well too as ringtones on the Treo 700w, the video files are probably going to use too much of the resources of the 700 each time your phone rings.
    That would be why I answered the question about the audio files first, then simply commented on the video files...just they work like a charm...they don't play full screen or anything...they play in the same place a photo contact would pop up...if anyone figures out how to play the full screen, that would be some trick stuff...

I leave my mp3 ringtones full size...I guess I should cut them down too, but so far I haven't had any issues with them locking up my machine...
    I loaded a few MP3's on an SD card and am trying to use them for ringtones, but I don't see them as a choice on the phone. Do I need to do anything else to take advantage of this feature?
    go to settings > sounds and notifications > manage tab > menu > add

when that is all done click on the notifications tab then pull up phone :known/unknown caller from the event drop down menu. then go to the ring tone drop down menu and whatever file you added should be there.
    Quote Originally Posted by allen2oo3

when that is all done click on the notifications tab then pull up phone :known/unknown caller from the event drop down menu. then go to the ring tone drop down menu and whatever file you added should be there.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    is there a way to get an mp3 to play for, say, an alarm?
    Quote Originally Posted by allen2oo3

hey whats up? first just wanted to say this is a great site. lots of info.

anyway, I followed these directions and I still have no luck. I am using a treo 700p, btw.

My problem is that I cannot seem to assign mp3 files as ringtones in my contact list. So I go to preferences > sound & alerts > manage...from there I only have a few choices: New, Send and Details. When I click on New, it brings up this little recorder so you can record your own i guess. When I press the menu button, no menu pops up. so Im guessing these are my only options. i have tried everything but I cant find it. I have a 1gb SD card with tons of songs on it. I would love to use some of them, but I cant figure out how. any help would be appreciated!

edit: sorry I put this in the wrong forum.
    My problem is that I cannot seem to assign mp3 files as ringtones in my contact list.
    Let's take this step by step. I use a free program called power mp3 cutter to cut down the size of my mp3's to ringtone size (about 20-30 seconds worth). Then from the SD card, I "add" them to the library using the Sounds setting on the Treo 700w. To make them specific to a contact, go directly to the contacts list and directly edit that contact. You should have a choice for that particular ringtone.