Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    First of all, thanks to everyone on this forum for the great information regarding the latest Palm Treo. I can find more useful information about my phone/PDA here than anywhere else, and I love seeing the interchange of ideas.

It's also interesting to watch the various threads come and go, and you soon find that the various frequent posters here develop very real online personalities, just as if you were talking to them real-time. They also are (usually) the best informed and have most helpful comments. Take Lady Treo, for example. She is very clearly knowledgeable, has firm opinions which she is unafraid to voice, and seems to actually listen to the comments that follow.

Having said that, it seems to me that everything that can be said about 32mb vs. 64mb of memory has been said. We have had 3 weeks of endless discussions about this, and in the end, I think that the following is obvious: the reduced memory does create some inconvenience, but it certainly does not invalidate the 700w as a legitimately good phone or PDA. Sure some people want more memory (when is it ever enough for everyone), but others find the device perfectly usable.

So my modest proposal is that we try to end the debate which includes "How could Palm have been so dumb...", "Why I would never consider buying a 700w...", and "The 700w is even better for having less memory..."

The 700w is here, it isn't perfect, but it works pretty well. Buy one of you like it. Don't buy one if you don't.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I agree... and such insight from a first time poster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Q*bert
    Take Lady Treo, for example. She is very clearly knowledgeable, has firm opinions which she is unafraid to voice, and seems to actually listen to the comments that follow.
    Suck up!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    LOL That was a weird first post.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/28/2006 at 12:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I think Q*Bert is Oalvarez in disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    I think Q*Bert is Oalvarez in disguise.
    now that is funny, as are most of the memory posts! and you should definately know it's NOT me as i would never make such coments related to Lady Treo as Q*Bert did.
    I agree to disagree with Q*bert.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    For Heaven's sake put this issue to rest. The beefs most of us have with the 700w is that it's a 650 mistake in the Windows Media world. The 650 is not an unusable phone. I enjoy it. The problem is that it will cause real inconveniences with regard to memory management, potentially even more than my 650. For some it will be more than others. I've learned to live with the 650 and make it work. But for what is out on the market I, and it seems others, are less willing to accept Palm's deliberate crippling of this otherwise pretty good phone (and without the built-in WiFi.)
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ...The problem is that it will cause real inconveniences with regard to memory management, potentially even more than my 650. For some it will be more than others. I've learned to live with the 650 and make it work. ....)
    The memory issue is manageable - as with the 650. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be able to model earth's climate or calculate satellite trajectories on the device - but then, for that there's terminal services.
    I am working on a fix which uses 2 Gig of low latency Corsair Pro line mem modules (the ones with LED's) as a RAM drive....current problem is duct tape color doesn't match Treo case.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I have some dark gray duct tape. PM me and I'll arrange for delivery. Heck, with EVDO, maybe I can email it to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I am working on a fix which uses 2 Gig of low latency Corsair Pro line mem modules (the ones with LED's) as a RAM drive....current problem is duct tape color doesn't match Treo case.
    SHEEESH....

Do a DA search on your Treo for Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware or something along those lines. You should be able to find some designer colored duct tape to match the colors of the 2 gigs of LED rip ram drive.

If that don't work, get some silver/gray duct tape and a blue felt tippped pen and start coloring....

Chuck
    I am adding a credit card swipe and some of the other features of the Treo 666 from message #34

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...&highlight=666

Wonder if I can add pinstripping ?
    use heavy duty clear packing tape...problem solved...
    so wasn't Palm dumb for only using 32mb of memory in the Treo 700?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    so wasn't Palm dumb for only using 32mb of memory in the Treo 700?
    Was Sony dumb for making BetaMax which was way superior to VHS ?

People went XMas shopping for grandma and saw VHS for $179 and BetaMax for $189 and guess what they brought home ?

The 700w was designed for corporate america.....having done inumerable focus studies and surveys Palm decided that there was a price point above which CFO's would do a betty ford (just say no) . So they said to their engineers.....give me this list of features and make it cost less than this.

Of course the engineers came back with a $900 device and the big wigs started pairing the feature list down till it broke below the price ceiling.

Coulda come down to say EVDO or 96 MB ? Pick one.

People went XMas shopping for grandma and saw VHS for $179 and BetaMax for $189 and guess what they brought home ?

The 700w was designed for corporate america.....having done inumerable focus studies and surveys Palm decided that there was a price point above which CFO's would do a betty ford (just say no) . So they said to their engineers.....give me this list of features and make it cost less than this.

Of course the engineers came back with a $900 device and the big wigs started pairing the feature list down till it broke below the price ceiling.

How would you explain the 6700 then?

I think those who don't know about the memory, will just complain about the screen. That screen is horrible, most cell phones have a better screen.
    Last edited by vikingjunior; 01/28/2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior

I think those who don't know about the memory, will just complain about the screen. That screen is horrible, most cell phones have a better screen.
    yep, after you turn them around 180 degrees and pull out their keyboards a thousand times you'll feel differently.
    Does this infer 32 megs of RAM is somehow superior to 64 megs? Interesting.
    Inumerable focus studies, huh? If any one of those decision-makers had spent 10 minutes on these boards, they'd know how their potential 700w customers feel about short-changing the RAM based on their 650 customers' complaints. Fucus studies, yeah, right.
    I'm trying to figure out which feature they added by saving ~$0.34 per unit with the smaller RAM chip (check out the wholesale pricing). Could it be wi-fi? Oops, not that! Could it be higher rez screen? Oops not that! Could it be smaller form factor than the 6700 (which sells for $100 less and is built by the same company)? Oops not that! Hmmm - I wonder what the great feature is? Could it be penny-pinching, profit-maximizing, clueless Palm decision-makers? I think I'm getting warmer now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior

In what respect ? They have different form factors and therefore different design limitations. Some factor of there design may allow for a feew extra dollars left over that wasn't available to Palm engineers.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast