Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Those are the only two square resolutions.. there are others like 320x240...640x480
    Basically, as pointed out, it comes down to marketing and target demographics. Was Palm aiming at a narrow customer base with offering no WIFI and only 32 MB of memory? I like Palm. I don't want to see them go away. But when they offer less connectivity options and half the memory of competing phones with the same OS and price range, you have to ask, what is their marketing plan? Heck 128 mbs of memory have been standard for over a year now in WM with at least 64 mb of memory. WIFI is offered on other phones in it's price range. And coming very shortly are a new bunch of phones with 128 MB, WIFI, and some with even GPS built in on top of that...and with very similar form factors of the Treo.

I am not putting the 700 down, as the 700 does work. It does meet a lot of peoples needs. But it also excludes a lot of potential customers from considering buying it because of potential memory issues of only have 10 available mb for cache and multitasking or lack of built in connectivity options.

I just think Palm is sometimes just shortsighted enough to be worried about. Ever since after the release of the 600, it has been...."nevermind what the market place is doing, never mind what the customers are asking for....if they want a Palm they take what they can get" attitude.

I want to see them blow the market away like they did with the 600. Not offer only half of the market standards each release.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Those are the only two square resolutions.. there are others like 320x240...640x480
    Yes, I know, but what actually works on WM5. I have seen folks say that palm was forced to use a 240x240 screen because of limitations on WM5. If that's the cause, then how can it be added to devices like the i730 who clearly dont have square screens.
    I don't think that the square screen is the standard by WM5. From what I've read is that for exposed keyboard devices, where the square screen is used, the standard is 240x240 (and possibly a larger and much more expensive 480x480, since you'd just have to make each pixel 2x2 bigger). It does seem silly, though, that if something can work 320x240, and 240x320, depending if it is portrait or landscape setting, that it couldn't also be 320x320, but I guess they have their reasons.
    Folks,

The standard for WM is 320X240. All the developers are writing for this, and many devices have twice this resolution which is accomodated.

The T700 needs third party support. The 6700 forum has a lot more posts than this forum. I just hope that third party software companies support this platform.

Glenn
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blario
    Yes, I know, but what actually works on WM5. I have seen folks say that palm was forced to use a 240x240 screen because of limitations on WM5. If that's the cause, then how can it be added to devices like the i730 who clearly donít have square screens.
    I was talking about WM5... there are a number of supported resolutions that I donít remember off the top of my head..the ones I do remember are:

240x240
    240x320
    480x480
    480x640

WM5 does not support a 320x320 resolution...Palm was forced to choose between 240x240 and 480x480. Donít know if they were able to source 480x480 screens in qty right now since no other WM device manufacture is using it.

If they went with 480x480 it would of been a costly option for them but I would expect it on the next model .

Most developers were given more than sufficient notice of the native screen resolutions that WM5 supports. Most are currently supporting or planning to support the new screen resolutions with the bigger developers having the resources to update their apps faster than the hobbyists.

Also..most apps written for the higher res screens still function but with scroll bars on the screen....this is if they followed the UI guidelines

Games are a notable exception.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    WM5 does not support a 320x320 resolution...Palm was forced to choose between 240x240 and 480x480.
    Almost correct. I believe it more true to the point that WM05 can support 320x320, but MS opted not to make the necessary adjustments to implement the support needed for this resolution at this time with Palm............at least that is what I read from other posts from those who traditionally are very knowledgable about these things (was it Shadowmite that posted it?)
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Almost correct. I believe it more true to the point that WM05 can support 320x320, but MS opted not to make the necessary adjustments to implement the support needed for this resolution at this time with Palm............at least that is what I read from other posts from those who traditionally are very knowledgable about these things (was it Shadowmite that posted it?)
    LOL... yes.. well they could of supported 428x239 if the wanted too. WM5 code was frozen a long time ago (over a year ago i think) so there was no way MS was going to do this for Palm. They have been working on WM6 for over 6 months now... I know people using it
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...also one of the reasons why we dont have one handed access to sub folders in Mobile Outlook...expect it in WM6 though.
    Do you have a link to additional info on WM6?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts

No links.. just people in the right places.

Someone try to nab an early release of MSFP...Large enterprise customers can get it for testing soon...if that is you (not sure if that means as little as 100 or +500 deployment potential but that larger the better) send me a PM for a contact who may be able to provide it...im sure you will be required to sign NDA's, first borns, etc.

help a brotha out by throwing down though
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123