Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    nonymousester, I think you had best have a nice tall drink of water and step back for a minute. This doesn't come anywhere near the level of a class action lawsuit, and it's comments like that from people like you that have nearly destroyed the integrity of our judicial system.
    Well put. Class action? Where are the damages? I'm sure attorneys will be fighting w/ each other to handle the case.

There was a mixup w/ your order and buy.com rectified it. What's the problem? Get over it.
    Grr, ok. So after much "fun" playing phonetag with buy.com and Verizon (with MUCH hold time, also note that when you call up buy.com account support with the number they give you, the service is called ibox.com for some reason) I learned this: buy.com only uses the billing address you submit only for THEIR purposes, and will send in the shipping address you supplied as both the billing and shipping address to Verizon. When you check your status on www.whereismyorder.com it will then tell you that you need to supply a copy of your drivers license, Social Security Card, and a utilities bill with the current address, not something I was particularly eager to spend the time doing.

If anyone here is going to use a different shipping address than their billing address, I would either urge against this, or I would pre-empt the whole confusion by calling up Verizon at (866) 338-7390 and clearing up the mistake with them (you can call up the ibox people first if you want, but they won't be able to help and will just tell you to call Verizon). Verizon will probably ask for an order number or something, but neither the buy.com 2xxxxxxx (original order #) or 3xxxxxxxx (order # you will get after you click the "Wireless Order Details" link in your account detail on buy.com, and which the ibox people will use if you call their support at (866) 327-2230) numbers will work for this. You'll have to just give them your SS# and name and all that other info, as well as the state so they can check your credit approval status (my shipping address is Michigan, but billing address is Pennsylvania, so I'm not exactly sure which they used, I gave them both). Make sure you get a confirmation # from them once they approve your credit, since the ibox people will want this before they can actually submit your order. Next step is to call back the ibox people, give them that confirmation number, and they'll go from there (my order status according to buy.com hasn't been updated for me yet, but I just got off the phone like 30 min ago, so it probably won't go through until Monday, and then hopefully I'll have my phone on Tuesday).

I hope no one else had the same problems I had, and if they do that this will help. If your billing and shipping addresses were the same then you were lucky and probably didn't have any problems.
    Ugh, this is BS. After going through all that, now buy.com is telling me I can't port my # from Verizon to Verizon. They say that since it is an existing Verizon number that Verizon will revert my new account to my old one, and thus consider this an "upgrade" and so buy.com won't get the commission. I am now stuck with the decision of changing my phone number that I've had for ~7 years (originally ported from Cingular), or not getting the deal on the phone. I don't know if my number is really worth a few hundred $$ to me, but I REALLY don't want to change it, and don't appreciate that everyone BUT me (and other Verizon customers) can get this deal. It was a very similar situation as this that made me leave Cingular in the first place, even though their coverage in my area was actually better, and cheaper, than Verizon (I can get pretty stubborn sometimes). If I can't get this resolved then I might be moving over to Sprint, seeing as they actually even have "Broadband" coverage here where I go to school, something Verizon was supposed to have a month ago.

Does anyone know if I can port my number to another carrier for a couple days and still be on that probationary period with them, and port my number back to Verizon? That seems my best bet so far, but not really sure how the process works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse
    Does anyone know if I can port my number to another carrier for a couple days and still be on that probationary period with them, and port my number back to Verizon? That seems my best bet so far, but not really sure how the process works.
    Actually I did that once. I had changed from Sprint to AT&T to get a killer amazon.com deal on a Motorola Smartphone and ported my number, but the service was way too terrible to bother with it, even if I liked the phone. So I called up Sprint with my tail between my legs and signed up for a brand new account and then had the number ported BACK to Sprint through LNP. Personally, I had no issues with it whatsoever, it required probably a total of 30 minutes on the phone COMBINED for BOTH ports. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it seems like your best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCrimando
    Actually I did that once. I had changed from Sprint to AT&T to get a killer amazon.com deal on a Motorola Smartphone and ported my number, but the service was way too terrible to bother with it, even if I liked the phone. So I called up Sprint with my tail between my legs and signed up for a brand new account and then had the number ported BACK to Sprint through LNP. Personally, I had no issues with it whatsoever, it required probably a total of 30 minutes on the phone COMBINED for BOTH ports. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it seems like your best bet.

Just be sure it's a major carrier - I had to make many calls to Earthlink to get them to port my number back to Verizon. I wound up randomly dialing extensions until I got to someone who could help me.
    For those of you who got the phone already shipped to you, did you sign up for the data plan? I had to sign up for the data plan in order for them to ship the phone, so I just said yeah go ahead and sign me up. I'm fine with it because after reading the $150 rebate I'm going to just use it for 2 months then cancel.

My question though, this is BS right? You don't need a a data plan with a treo -- because I know when you order through VZW.com you can choose the plan that costs nothing (pay per kb or whatever it is).

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroot
    For those of you who got the phone already shipped to you, did you sign up for the data plan? I had to sign up for the data plan in order for them to ship the phone, so I just said yeah go ahead and sign me up. I'm fine with it because after reading the $150 rebate I'm going to just use it for 2 months then cancel.

My question though, this is BS right? You don't need a a data plan with a treo -- because I know when you order through VZW.com you can choose the plan that costs nothing (pay per kb or whatever it is).

Thanks.

dont follow. why would you cancel in two months? why would you NOT need a data plan with a treo?are you saying one can get EVDO without a data plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    dont follow. why would you cancel in two months? why would you NOT need a data plan with a treo?are you saying one can get EVDO without a data plan?
    Well, I don't think it's worth the 44.99 for unlimited coverage. I also don't think I'll be using the phone to go online all that much -- just here and there for which I don't need some data plan that will cost me 24.99-44.99.
    After reading the rebate terms, it looks like I'll have to stay on for atleast 181 days:

In addition to this rebate, an equipment purchase discount of $250 has been provided to you in exchange for activating and maintaining a new, non-substitute wireless service mobile number on any commercially published wireless services rate plan for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. Should this number disconnect (permanently or temporarily, except based on the fault of the Wireless Service carrier) from the chosen Wireless carrier, or if the customerís wireless service rate plan is changed to one of a lower service rate plan, within the same time period (181 consecutive days), both this discount and rebate will be null and void and the customer must reimburse this Authorized Carrier Representative $250. The customer herein provides authorization for the $250 to be charged to the customerís credit card without need for further approval; the $250 will only be charged if the monthly service rate is changed to one of a lower monthly service rate or if the wireless phone bill is not paid for 181 consecutive days.
    Ugh, this is BS. After going through all that, now buy.com is telling me I can't port my # from Verizon to Verizon. .... It was a very similar situation as this that made me leave Cingular in the first place, even though their coverage in my area was actually better, and cheaper, than Verizon (I can get pretty stubborn sometimes).
    Well that's why they do it. It's basically a "jump ship" rebate. If Verizon can "steal" a customer from a competitor than it's worth it to them to give Buy.com the check. Ironic that what made you leave Cingular and their better coverage and plan to move to Verizon is coming back to haunt you now.

That is one advantage to GSM. My plan when upgrading will be to buy the new Treo for one of thre other 3 phones on the family plan. Then I will just swap SIMS, I'll take the new Treo and pass on the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well that's why they do it. It's basically a "jump ship" rebate. If Verizon can "steal" a customer from a competitor than it's worth it to them to give Buy.com the check. Ironic that what made you leave Cingular and their better coverage and plan to move to Verizon is coming back to haunt you now.

That is one advantage to GSM. My plan when upgrading will be to buy the new Treo for one of thre other 3 phones on the family plan. Then I will just swap SIMS, I'll take the new Treo and pass on the old one.

Actually - you can do the same thing with Verizon - just move the ESN from one number to the other. You can do that online if you want. Not as easy as a SIM card switch, but gives the same result.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Just got my phone. This little thing is sweet. I was wondering if anyone really let it charge for 24 hours before dialing *228? I used to have an ipaq 3835 so I dunno, to me the menus seem faster if anything. Can't wait to try the internet out on it.
    It may be a "jump ship" rebate, but you think they'd be just as concerned about keeping people from jumping off of their ship as they are about trying to get people to jump on.

Also, after doing some research I'm a little hesitant to even get this phone through buy.com, since the rebate is being handled by InPhonic (aka Wirefly), who have apparently had some major problems with actually honoring rebates, even when they are submitted exactly as stated on the rebate forms (they even lost their membership to the Better Business Bureau back in November). Even though the $299 price before rebates is still better than I can get anywhere else, I'm worried that they'll say I somehow broke the terms of service and charge me the $250 fee they mention as a disclaimer in the rebates section.
    http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/01/consumers_irked.html

So essentially I gave up, was going to go through Verizon, get my $100 New Every Two deal, and the $100 discount for signing up for the data plan. The rep said they never heard of such a deal, and I didn't have the specifics offhand, but not that it matters, since you apparently can't combine the New Every Two offer with anything else...kinda defeats the purpose of such a "loyalty" deal if it never really winds up saving you money.

So I guess now I have to wait until Sprint gets their 700p and that it hopefully gets favorable reviews, so I can "jump ship" and get a phone discounted for a "new subscriber", the ability to keep my phone #, and actually get EVDO service (Sprint has a big footprint around Lansing, MI, while Verizon's only EVDO service in Michigan is in Detroit.

Argh, this whole process is like pulling teeth...heck I'd be willing to buy the phone for $299 straight through Verizon now if they just offered it for that cheap...but I'm still clinging to hope I can keep my number AND get this phone for $99. (Anyone know how long after you cancel an account it takes for the number to get recycled so I can pick it up again?)
    So I guess now I have to wait until Sprint gets their 700p and that it hopefully gets favorable reviews, so I can "jump ship" and get a phone discounted for a "new subscriber", the ability to keep my phone #, and actually get EVDO service .
    By then rumors of the GSM / HDSPA model will be breaking which some have reported will be the 800p and even hinted at a new OS.....just to make things more nerve wracking and make decision making harder.

Argh, this whole process is like pulling teeth...heck I'd be willing to buy the phone for $299 straight through Verizon now if they just offered it for that cheap...but I'm still clinging to hope I can keep my number AND get this phone for $99. (Anyone know how long after you cancel an account it takes for the number to get recycled so I can pick it up again?)
    Didn't thyey pass a law in your state that says if you change carriers you get to keep ya number. I know several peeps in my family did that.

And yeah, it seems the companies would be smart enuff to want to keep customers from jumping by matching any competing offer. One thing I haven't quite been able to figure out is that Sprint seems to get more $$ outta it's customers than the competition. Their ARPU (Average Revenue Per Subscriber) is way up at over $60 while Cingular and Verizon closed the year at $48.86 and $49.36 respectively. I wouldn't be surprised that since Sprint tends to get the newer phones 1st, many gadgeteers jump in that direction and thes eusers tend to eb higher volume users.

It's a good thing that they are relatively close in subscriber base (54.1 for Cingular - 4th quarter, 51.3 for Verizon - 4th quarter and 45.6 for Sprint - 3rd quarter). This bodes well for competition and low prices
    Didn't thyey pass a law in your state that says if you change carriers you get to keep ya number. I know several peeps in my family did that.
    It's a federal thing - went into effect a couple of years back.

One thing I haven't quite been able to figure out is that Sprint seems to get more $$ outta it's customers than the competition. Their ARPU (Average Revenue Per Subscriber) is way up at over $60 while Cingular and Verizon closed the year at $48.86 and $49.36 respectively. I wouldn't be surprised that since Sprint tends to get the newer phones 1st, many gadgeteers jump in that direction and thes eusers tend to eb higher volume users.
    It's due to NXTL, which has always had the highest ARPU of any carrier. They have focused on business customers for years, which tend to be less price-sensitive. NXTL historically just didn't have a great network for the rest of the world unless it was important to have a combo walkie-talkie with a phone that was the size of a small rodent.
    Yeah, that isn't my problem at all, though. Since I'm already a Verizon customer, even though I'm off contract I can't set up a new account with Verizon and "port" my number like that, since it apparently just goes through as an upgrade to my account, and the people at buy.com apparently won't get their commission. They should just end this bs and treat anyone signing a new 2-yr agreement as a "new" customer. I'd even forego that silly "new every 2" deal that they pretend is a benefit, since you can usually get a new phone cheaper than you can with their non-stackable $100 discount if you sign up for new service.

I also enjoy how Verizon offers that $100 discount for signing up for the voice and data plan, but when I called they said it was only offered for business people (even though there's no mention of that on www.vzwshop.com/treo700w), and that it won't stack with the NE2 discount. I know the companies are trying to discount as little as possible while pretending to offer these huge rebates, but it would be nice if they weren't allowed to pretend that the offers were as great as they're making them sound. I know, I know, "if it sounds too good to be true..." but I'm definitely getting frustrated

On the plus side, the VZW customer support people have been very nice to me while they're refusing to offer me (a paying customer) the same service they offer their non-customers
    Maybe you can do a trial on Sprint, port ya number and then give it back....and then run back to Verizon. That's one reason I like the all carrier brick and mortars, they know all the tricks and can work one carrier against another. Maybe you shud walk into one and see what ya can find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    It's due to NXTL, which has always had the highest ARPU of any carrier. They have focused on business customers for years, which tend to be less price-sensitive. NXTL historically just didn't have a great network for the rest of the world unless it was important to have a combo walkie-talkie with a phone that was the size of a small rodent.
    It was listed separately for the Sprint and Nextel divisions...Nextel even higher at $68. EVen before Nextel acquisition Sprint's was up there at $65...they dropped some due to a lotta prepaid stuff and big business deals.

I know where there are 8 one week old Nextels .....you just gotta dig them outta the "port-a-pottie". On construction site, project manager bought 8 of em, loved the walkie talkie, hated the phone service.
    Maybe you can do a trial on Sprint, port ya number and then give it back....and then run back to Verizon. That's one reason I like the all carrier brick and mortars, they know all the tricks and can work one carrier against another. Maybe you shud walk into one and see what ya can find out.
    After talking to buy.com and Verizon people it seems like I'll be able to to the trial with Sprint and then hop back to Verizon. The person at Verizon was sure to tell me that I'll have a new account number, and thus will lose my $100 New Every 2 discount. It usually takes a while, but after a few attempts they usually are able to realize that $99 doing it my way is just a tad cheaper than $399 doing it their way

On a side note, the Verizon CSRs seem to be willing to hand out $50 account credits like candy. Every time I call they offer that, sometimes in conjunction with NE2, sometimes exclusive of. Either way, it is fun to know that you can get $50 through them basically by asking for it ;-)
    Well, I am currently a Sprint Treo 650 owner, hopefully only for a day or 2, then I'll be a Verizon Treo 700w owner.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast