Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I got in on this deal as well, however my order is still in the activation phase. Let us know if you got in on the lower price and your phone is shipped or in hand.

Fingers crossed.
    Shipped today, next day for tomorrow. Will post again after I have it in hand.
    I never thought buy.com was not respectable in any way, and I know plenty of people who have had wonderful experiences with them, and I have a feeling I'll be getting my phone soon (I even called them up because I'm shipping it to a different address than my billing address, and according to this link you can click on next to the order it seems they sent the shipping address to Verizon as my billing address as well, which I think could cause me some delays, but I hope it was just the way the forms worked and that everything goes through fine).

My statement is more about previous dealings with other respectable companies who have had an "advertised price" error, but then "caught the error" before they technically billed me and so basically they cancelled the old order on me and were gracious enough to let me know I could now buy it at the "correct" higher price. There's probably some bait-switch law against that, but it's never really been for anything pricey enough for me to care about before, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen here. Plus they already charged me, so that must be a plus.

This is how I get when I'm impatient...too OCD :-p
    there was nothing on their website which said that it was a time bound promotion. thats why its robbery!
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    there was nothing on their website which said that it was a time bound promotion. thats why its robbery!
    They may have either a fixed number to sell or were running a promotion - either you bought one then or are out of luck.

Prices change, sometimes on a daily basis. If $299 is more than you're willing to pay don't buy one. It's as simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    They may have either a fixed number to sell or were running a promotion - either you bought one then or are out of luck.

Prices change, sometimes on a daily basis. If $299 is more than you're willing to pay don't buy one. It's as simple as that.
    you are, as always, missing the point. no promotion nor a fixed number was openly advertised
    How much was gas today, how much was it yesterday, how much will it be tomorrow?

Same kinda thing?

Maybe next time you see a deal on Buy.com you'll jump on it immediately, I don't know if I'd run a business like that but perhaps they have their reasons.

I've had a similar issue before when a pricing error was found after I had placed an order and mine was cancelled with no information given, that was BestBuy.com -- I've never had an issue with Buy.com, nor do I expect one -- but I'll feel a lot better when I have phone in hand!
    you are, as always, missing the point. no promotion nor a fixed number was openly advertised
    NO. Most retailers (online and bricks & mortar) employ this as a standard of their pricing models. It's selling a loss leader (the retailer takes a hit on profit, or loses money to create volume). There is no guarantee that the price you see one day on any item, anywhere, is the price that you are somehow entitled to for the rest of time.

The gas price analogy is a different pricing model but, perhaps, is the best one: in that the retailer is pricing what it would cost to REPLACE the gas you are buying today, not necessarily related to what his INITIAL cost was. That is why gas prices spike in times of shortage - the combination of high demand and low supply don't necessarily mean that there is gouging - but if the retailer buys a gallon at $0.97 and you want to buy it from him at $1.00 (yes, by the way, the margins are that small or smaller), but it will cost $1.50 to buy the NEXT gallon, the price will adjust to $1.50. So, the retailer makes a temporary profit due to simple economics, and then has a gallon to sell me when I come along later. Otherwise, he makes his $0.03 and can't buy anymore gas to refill his station.

Or, perhaps the most simple of all - it was a mistake by a web guy and they honored for the people who got there in time. Period.

Give it a rest. You missed the deal. Get over it.
    Looks like an awesome deal, but when you select services, they want $15/month for text messaging. I'm pretty sure that's part of the voice plans if you buy direct from Verizon. Still a lower price, just not as much lower as it seems.
    I didn't bother to sign up for text messaging through them, because I'm going to try and see if I can get that 2000 PDA/Smartphone TXT message allowance offer they have (do a search for it, I think it is technically for exchange messages or whatnot, the way they work now I guess they send text messages to/from the server or something, but to compensate for that you can get 2000 free txt messages). I've heard that some people are told they can't get it on the treo 700w, while others have. Seems if you give them the exact name/promotional code it is easier, but again, not sure seeing as I don't have mine yet. I also read differing accounts as to what the txt messages can be used for: either all types of messaging and you don't set up another txt message package, or alternatively where you have a separate txt message package, and the 2000 messages are only used for the e-mail whatever it does thing (dontcha love my technical jargon?)

Worst comes to worst, I figure I'll try to get the 2000 messages and use them as normal, and if not, then just call up Verizon and add a package.
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    NO. Most retailers (online and bricks & mortar) employ this as a standard of their pricing models. It's selling a loss leader (the retailer takes a hit on profit, or loses money to create volume). There is no guarantee that the price you see one day on any item, anywhere, is the price that you are somehow entitled to for the rest of time.

The gas price analogy is a different pricing model but, perhaps, is the best one: in that the retailer is pricing what it would cost to REPLACE the gas you are buying today, not necessarily related to what his INITIAL cost was. That is why gas prices spike in times of shortage - the combination of high demand and low supply don't necessarily mean that there is gouging - but if the retailer buys a gallon at $0.97 and you want to buy it from him at $1.00 (yes, by the way, the margins are that small or smaller), but it will cost $1.50 to buy the NEXT gallon, the price will adjust to $1.50. So, the retailer makes a temporary profit due to simple economics, and then has a gallon to sell me when I come along later. Otherwise, he makes his $0.03 and can't buy anymore gas to refill his station.

Or, perhaps the most simple of all - it was a mistake by a web guy and they honored for the people who got there in time. Period.

Give it a rest. You missed the deal. Get over it.
    pulled some strings..got the deal now. open to call anytime. have told them of its interest at Treo Central..have urged their ceo to open it up again for $99. He has promised to do his best.
    Arrived at lunch today. Works like a champ.
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinBlair
    Arrived at lunch today. Works like a champ.
    WHAT part of it works? Cant be push email? try skype and tell us abt that and email incl active sync
    it came back to $99 yesterday but only for a day.
    The point is they do not need to advertise an end date or what quantity they will sell at that price - they can change the price whenever they want. If you go to their site and they're advertising it at $99 you get it for that price; if not you're out of luck.

They have no obligation to keep the price at $99; nor do they have any obligation to tell you when the price will expire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse
    I didn't bother to sign up for text messaging through them, because I'm going to try and see if I can get that 2000 PDA/Smartphone TXT message allowance offer they have (do a search for it, I think it is technically for exchange messages or whatnot, the way they work now I guess they send text messages to/from the server or something, but to compensate for that you can get 2000 free txt messages). I've heard that some people are told they can't get it on the treo 700w, while others have. Seems if you give them the exact name/promotional code it is easier, but again, not sure seeing as I don't have mine yet. I also read differing accounts as to what the txt messages can be used for: either all types of messaging and you don't set up another txt message package, or alternatively where you have a separate txt message package, and the 2000 messages are only used for the e-mail whatever it does thing (dontcha love my technical jargon?)

Worst comes to worst, I figure I'll try to get the 2000 messages and use them as normal, and if not, then just call up Verizon and add a package.
    It's 2000 INCOMING messages; designed for prgrams that us SMS as a trigger to retrieve mail.

It's not a feature they currently offer; they can grandfather the feature on some accounts but not on all (at least according to the VZW rep I spoke with).
    uh..checked it out..it's $299 NOT $99
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCrimando
    Maybe next time you see a deal on Buy.com you'll jump on it immediately, I don't know if I'd run a business like that but perhaps they have their reasons.
    It could be chosing to pass on VZW's incentives that Buy.com gets for selling a new phone plan to the consumer in order to raise revenue numbers for a particular period. The book the entire sale price plus VZW incentives as revenue but the rebates come out out of sales expense; since sales expense as a percentage of revenue is expected to fall as revenue increases the higher revenue makes them look like they're on track to hit growth projections and become profitable.

It could also be that they hope to sell accessories as part of the order to make teh deal more profitable.
    I had the same problems. Buy.com entered my shipping address as my billing address and that apparently screwed up the system. After spending hours on the phone with customer service reps in India (who didn't understand English half the time and seemed like they were reading from a prepared script) I finally got to a supervisor who advised me to cancel my order and re-order the phone because it would be quicker than cleaning up their glitch. Well, I cancelled the order and tried to place a new one only to find out that the price jumped $200. Well, I had a fit and finally got a supervisor to promise that they would honor the original price and would issue a $200 credit to my account. We will see what happens, but I am an attorney and WILL sue them big time if they don't come through. Anyone interested in a class action should leave messages on this board.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonymousester
    Anyone interested in a class action should leave messages on this board.
    nonymousester, I think you had best have a nice tall drink of water and step back for a minute. This doesn't come anywhere near the level of a class action lawsuit, and it's comments like that from people like you that have nearly destroyed the integrity of our judicial system.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast