Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Actually not!
    I have been using a phone and I carry a Windows PDA (HP 5455).
    I need an integrated device with the right form factor.
    If I want to surf I'll do WiFi on a laptop.
    There is software, like loan calculators, eWallet, ListPro that I like to use and carrying two devices just sucked.
    My 700W reduces the number of devices I need to carry down to one.

tech

Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    Without a data plan, why do you want a treo 700w? The only hardware highlight of this device is high speed internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    HMMM, if they are already discounting the 700 that much what does that say about the amount they are selling? Did anyone see the 650 for that price within a couple of months of release? I think this may indicate the 700 is not selling as quick as they had hoped.

More liekley buy.com wants to pump up revenue by selling a bunch of 700w's; I'd bet VZW pays them enough of a fee for new suscribers that they don't lose anything on the sale otehr than the additional profit they's get without their additional rebate; but they wouldn't sell as many and get the revenue bump.
    Worse case scenario if you don't get the rebates then you still paid only $299 for it which is cheaper than a lot of places. You do not need to keep data on you plan for the full term of the contract. It only states that you keep it for two months then just cancel it. Just make sure it is in the bill you send in. So if you get the phone but don't want the data plan cancel after 2 months and the cost is still only $99 for the phone and $90 for those 2 months of data. For $189 it sounds pretty good to me.
    Has anyone gotten a phone through buy.com before? Any pitfalls to be leery of? Seems like a great deal!
    Well, I just ordered this one through buy.com so hopefully it all goes well. I've personally never used the site before, but I have friends who buy stuff from there all the time, so it seems trustworthy. The rebates seem a bit tricky if you read them (something like submit rebate with a million copies of every documentation possible between the 180th day and the 210th day, etc., but all rebates are tricky) but as amartins said, even if you don't get those rebates, the $299 price is still cheaper than anywhere else right now.

One interesting note is that they make you "Agree" to some agreement for Verizon Wireless service, however if you actually read the agreement it is in reference to T-Mobile. Hopefully that won't cause any problems, and though I doubt it, maybe I can use that as some sort of defense if I have to cancel my Verizon account early, though they'll probably just come right back and say that I have to get a T-Mobile one or something like that. Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellneuron
    Without a data plan, why do you want a treo 700w? The only hardware highlight of this device is high speed internet.
    I wouldn't own one without data. I'm saying I will not go with a provider that charges the MOST for data. I'm holding out for Sprint (and push email).
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse
    Well, I just ordered this one through buy.com so hopefully it all goes well. I've personally never used the site before, but I have friends who buy stuff from there all the time, so it seems trustworthy. The rebates seem a bit tricky if you read them (something like submit rebate with a million copies of every documentation possible between the 180th day and the 210th day, etc., but all rebates are tricky) but as amartins said, even if you don't get those rebates, the $299 price is still cheaper than anywhere else right now.

One interesting note is that they make you "Agree" to some agreement for Verizon Wireless service, however if you actually read the agreement it is in reference to T-Mobile. Hopefully that won't cause any problems, and though I doubt it, maybe I can use that as some sort of defense if I have to cancel my Verizon account early, though they'll probably just come right back and say that I have to get a T-Mobile one or something like that. Anyway, just thought I'd bring it up.

please keep us posted. $99 bucks sounds like a REALLY good deal!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I went and looked at the website last night and was contemplating getting it, but this morning I went and the phone is now $299 after the rebates. Oh well. I'm sure there will be other similar deals elsewhere.
    I wonder if this is a sign that Sprint is going to release their 700w VERY soon, on schedule with their 90 day release after VZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmereos
    I went and looked at the website last night and was contemplating getting it, but this morning I went and the phone is now $299 after the rebates. Oh well. I'm sure there will be other similar deals elsewhere.
    With everyone else selling for $299 ($499 - $200 rebates) , I thot perhaps buy.com had booboo'd and took the $200 of the alreday discounted $299 number
    Wow, yeah, their "Our Price" just jumped from $299 to $499. They haven't shipped mine yet, I hope they don't pull something akin to saying that it was a glitch, and that I'll have to pay another $200 to get the phone.
    Well, they've charged my credit card the $300, and when I check the status it says "sent to warehouse", but that is what it said yesterday, and I paid for next day shipping (Bought it late night 2 days ago).
    Well, they've charged my credit card the $300, and when I check the status it says "sent to warehouse", but that is what it said yesterday, and I paid for next day shipping (Bought it late night 2 days ago).
    Yeah, same thing happened to me. I ordered Wed or Thu of last week, and chose two day shipping. It will stay at that status until it is shipped, even though at this time they have sent your order to be approved by Verizon. You can check that status by clicking the link next phone description, IIRC.

Let me know if you have any questions. They won't ship it until you are credit approved, the whole process for me took 5 days or so (just got the phone this afternoon).
    Yeah, that is what is happening, still checking through Verizon. You would think it would be a speedier process, since I'm "transferring" my number FROM Verizon, just opening a new account (my old contract expired in November or December). Ah well...I'm not the most patient person when it comes to these things ;-)
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Yeah I placed my order on the 30th. I paid for next day shipping as well so I was starting to get antsy. I guess i'll just wait a little longer.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Yeah, that is what is happening, still checking through Verizon. You would think it would be a speedier process, since I'm "transferring" my number FROM Verizon, just opening a new account (my old contract expired in November or December). Ah well...I'm not the most patient person when it comes to these things ;-)
    Yeah. I am pretty sure that if I walked into a cell phone store they would have me out of there with the phone working the same day. O well this is what I get for trying to get a good deal online :P
    Fight the good fight people. If they try to go back on their offer threaten with complaints to the BBB.
    I was with cingular and switched to Verizon specifically to get the Treo 700W. There was no way I was going to pay their $499 price and I noticed that treocentral had a $299 offer for the 700W.
    So popped down to the local Verizon store and asked them if they were doing any specials, even with a contract, answer was no. So, I mentioned the treocental $299 deal, the saleswoman looked on the treocental site and then offered to price match. So I paid $399 in the store and then received a $100 credit on my bill. I did go for a 2 yr contract though.....
    The only good side is that my company pays half of my cell phone bill, so the $45/month data is not too much of an issue.....
    hey guys whats all this? buy has gone up? this is robbery..what the hells happening? its not 99 anymore
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Ok, first of all the remark I made was not a SLAM against buy.com. I have bought very many things from them and they are a very respectable reseller, so for those of you that are posting about them not shipping it yet, and robbery because they raised their price, you are totally jumping to the wrong conclusions....yadayada you will be ok. Buy.com has been known to have short 1 day specials, and I have a feeling something similar is what happened, for those of us that procrastinated...well too bad for us.
    I see where this thread is going, and it really should not be going there. I will repeat.... BUY.COM is a very respectable online reseller, so I would not worry or jump to conclusions.

Have fun with your $99 Treo 700w's for those that got in on time.

M
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast