Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Handango doesn't have a "Presentations" category but searching on "presentations" I came up with a lot of programs (55) that let you view, edit etc ppt files on a portable and even one that lets you control a slide projector. But I found none that actually let a Treo or any other SD equipped handheld connect to a LCD projector and play the presentation through that projector.

    Best I could do was Pocket Slide Show http://www.cnetx.com/SlideShow/ which includes in its feature list.....

    "Direct output to external video cards (Toshiba Expansion Pack, Voyager VGA, Margi PresenterToGo, LifeView FlyJacket, etc.)"

    Voyager and Lifeview need a CF or PCMCIA slot, Margi is gone and Toshiba well is for Toshibas.....can't find anything that might work on a Treo or any SD card equipped device.

    OS requirements are: Microsoft® Pocket PC 2000, 2002, or 2003.

    The memory requirment of 18 MB walso prsents other obvious issues.

    "Storage memory : Minimum of 3MB in your Pocket PC required for software installation. Minimum of 15MB memory free for running the software"

    what about this?

    http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...=21530&R=21530
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    has someone tried using any software for using the treo to make ppt presentations through a projector onto a large screen? any suggestions?
    Yes there are....at least for WM. Browse around the back pages of a WM magazine and you will see ads for this. A Google might help to. I have never paid too much attention to them, but I do they are out there.
  3. #23  
    GPS
    With an added BT GPS and software package, I am never lost. I have been using the BT iTrek and iGuidance for 13 months now and love it. For more info visit the GPS thread in the WM Apps forum and GPSpassion.com

    Vito Navigator is a pretty cool GPS program. I use it alot while my 6600 is sitting the windshield holder around town when I never need my GPS mapping. It shows which direction you are traveling...like a compass. How long you were sitting at stop lights for any given trips. Helps record mileage and drive time for work documentation.

    I also have mine set so if I go more than what I set it watch for over the speed limit on the freeway, it plays a wav file of my choosing....which I have it set for "Bad To The Bone".

    Basically, my phone becomes my car's driving computer while driving around town.


    I have not checked yet if it is 240x240 compatible so here is the company website: http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/navigatorii.html

    MP3 PLAYER
    This is an obvious one. I have a 2 gig SD card so 1 gig of it is MP3s. I have inside the ear noise reduction headphones that work great when on a plan with gabby neighbors or screaming babies.

    I also bought an FM modulator that I plug into the headset and when I tune my car stereo to the set FM station I can hear my MP3s and especially my Audio Books I have on my SD card.

    You can buy them at any electronics store, IE. Best Buy or I think even at Wal-Mart for $12-20.

    Copy & Paste and Enhancement
    I have been using....and LOVING Wishbar Advance (ver 2.4.1.7 Beta). It gives the phone a nice look with choice of any skin you can download. It all has a great and easy task manager. It cascades the Start Menu, like in Win XP. And you can add custom buttons to the top to do a whole list of things........including a button for Copy and one for Paste. I have heard from several people that Wisbar works great on the 700w.

    http://www.lakeridgesoftware.com/wisbar/index.html

    TAKE CREDIT CARDS
    For those of you in business for yourself here is a good one from PDAphoneHome:
    I can't believe nobody has posted this one yet. I run a handyman/contractor company and accept credit cards for payment. I do this trough a credit card reader/printer that is connected to my PDAphone. I got it from http://merchantanywhere.com/.
    SOUND MACHINE
    I have made my PPC-6600 into a nature sound machine. At Circuit City I bought a decent inexpensive pair of external speakers.

    Then instead of paying $20 for a single nature / relaxation CD, I bought a program to make my own! It works really great too. Attached is a sample of I just made that includes a fire by a brook at night with a breeze. It took me less than 2 1/2 minutes to select the sounds I wanted to include, adjust the volumes for each sound, adjust the panning (balance) for each sound, random frequency it is included, etc....

    I have made lots of other sounds, like Fan whitenoise, walking in the snow, calm meadow, etc.... But most of them were over the 450kb upload limit on this board.

    The link for the program is:

    http://www.vectormediasoftware.com/atmdeluxehome.htm

    Extra Bonus for this software that they do not recognize on their website is.........It also will record ANYTHING that goes through your speakers. So you can record streaming content, or use it to convert Midi files into mp3 or wav files, etc..... I really have had fun with it this last week.

    The will be having a PDA version of the software to be released hopefully sometime this month.

    While looking for extra sounds to add to my library of white noise / ambient sounds library to use with this program I found a really cool site that has just about any sound you can think of for free.

    http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php
    Attached Files Attached Files
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    OK, again, what we are looking for ia a way to play presentations directly from a handeld to a LCD projector. In the previous examples, additional hardware devices were required such as devices that plug into the CF card redaer slot.

    In this case again, additional hardware is required. Instead of a CF based device converter this software requires a laptop or desktop. AGain the goal here was to be able to eliminate the need to acrry a laptop so I don't see how this solution helps any.

    That program essentially turns your Treo into a remote control for your laptop. Most LCD's already come with a remote so to my mind this thing doesn't really help any other than to provide an laternate way to show handheld screens in the presentation.....the way this is done now is to simply use the developers tools on the laptop itself or to take sceenshots and iinclude those images in your desktop / laptop ppt files.

    So no, I'd say this software does not proivide the desired solution. As yet, every solution I have seen requires additional hardware and none of this hardware is as yet compatable with a 700w.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    OK, again, what we are looking for ia a way to play presentations directly from a handeld to a LCD projector. In the previous examples, additional hardware devices were required such as devices that plug into the CF card redaer slot.

    In this case again, additional hardware is required. Instead of a CF based device converter this software requires a laptop or desktop. AGain the goal here was to be able to eliminate the need to acrry a laptop so I don't see how this solution helps any.

    That program essentially turns your Treo into a remote control for your laptop. Most LCD's already come with a remote so to my mind this thing doesn't really help any other than to provide an laternate way to show handheld screens in the presentation.....the way this is done now is to simply use the developers tools on the laptop itself or to take sceenshots and iinclude those images in your desktop / laptop ppt files.

    So no, I'd say this software does not proivide the desired solution. As yet, every solution I have seen requires additional hardware and none of this hardware is as yet compatable with a 700w.
    not sure you are correct. it projects the treo onto a large screen through a projector..does not turn it into a remote.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    not sure you are correct. it projects the treo onto a large screen through a projector..does not turn it into a remote.
    Well that is what the link you gave says.

    "Periscope enables professional display of the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby PC or laptop for projection, and can also remotely control a PowerPoint presentation (now with DRAWING)."

    Going to the manufacturer's site....

    "Periscope Presentation displays the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby desktop or laptop PC for projection, and remotely controls PowerPoint presentations."

    "Typical User Comment

    "I have to tell you that Periscope has been the ideal solution for my selling and training needs. I use it to display my handheld device to a large audience using a projector attached to my laptop. It has worked out very well." (Pennsylvania, USA, January 2005)
  7. #27  
    The other means previously discussed in other posts in this thread used a "CF card to Video in" converter. Without this converter, or laptop connection, how would you conenct from the Treo to the LCD's Video in conenctor ? I am nota ware of a video out connection on my 650 or any other Treos. The only possible means of connection are via USB - hotsyc cable, BT, IR, WiFi or card slot and none of the LCD projector sI have used have any inputs for those.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well that is what the link you gave says.

    "Periscope enables professional display of the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby PC or laptop for projection, and can also remotely control a PowerPoint presentation (now with DRAWING)."

    Going to the manufacturer's site....

    "Periscope Presentation displays the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby desktop or laptop PC for projection, and remotely controls PowerPoint presentations."

    "Typical User Comment

    "I have to tell you that Periscope has been the ideal solution for my selling and training needs. I use it to display my handheld device to a large audience using a projector attached to my laptop. It has worked out very well." (Pennsylvania, USA, January 2005)
    it ALSO happens to be a remote control. the user comment is exactly what i meant. what were you thinking it would do?
  9. #29  
    It seems that he wants to connect the Treo directly to the projecter (no "hardware" inbetween, such as the SD converter, or connected through a laptop), which I don't think is possible, but I have no experience with projecters other than using a laptop which is wired to it through the video out.
  10. #30  
    can anyone help me out w/ the XM Radio streaming sites?

    I'm a subscriber, but can seem to sign onto the 2 previously mentioned websites. Is it a different service or diffent sign-on?
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouse
    It seems that he wants to connect the Treo directly to the projecter (no "hardware" inbetween, such as the SD converter, or connected through a laptop), which I don't think is possible, but I have no experience with projecters other than using a laptop which is wired to it through the video out.
    that is also possible..not sure about compatability with the 700 though..there is a finnish company which makes accessories for the Nokia Communicator which makes such bluetooth projection tools.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by finadvsr
    can anyone help me out w/ the XM Radio streaming sites?

    I'm a subscriber, but can seem to sign onto the 2 previously mentioned websites. Is it a different service or diffent sign-on?
    I do the xtream one and have not had a problem. What kind of error are you getting? There is no special service, you just need to be an xm subscriber and have an account on XMonline, which is free if you are an subscriber.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    it ALSO happens to be a remote control. the user comment is exactly what i meant. what were you thinking it would do?
    The stated goal at hand here is something that lets one leave that laptop at home. When an LCD projector is the desired display option, what is the advantage of being able to play the ppt presentation on the Treo if the software program still requires you to funnel the signal from your Treo to a laptop or desktop ?

    Without the referenced software, I need a laptop and an LCD projector to show my audience my ppt show. I would use the USB remote that came with the projector to control the laptop.

    With that software that you pointed us to, I can use my Treo to display my ppt file on my laptop and, thru the laptop, on the LCD projector. The Treo has simply taken the place of the remote. Again the goal here was to display the image from the Treo directly on the LCD projector without additional hardware. That is, no physical devices between the 700w and the LCD Projector.

    The site says that "Periscope enables professional display of the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby PC or laptop for projection."

    So what they are saying is that when using Periscope, the signal goes like this:

    Treo -> Laptop / Desktop - > Projector

    What has been asked for is:

    Treo -> Projector

    Margi had a SD card based solution but are no longer making the device. Others that I mentioned use CF Card based dongles but the Treo doesn't have CF card reader.

    Treo Central just published a review of LibertyControl. The description reads:

    "LibertyControl is software that lets you take command of your computer wirelessly with your Treo. Trust me. It’s cool. "

    But the article also mentions Presenter to Go and it again states that:

    "A while back, I reviewed Presenter-to-Go That’s an entirely different beast. With that program, the PowerPoint presentation is actually compressed and stored on your Treo and a hardware dongle connects you to an LCD projector or computer monitor. "

    The input on an LCD projector is an analog Video In port. It's a trapezoidal shaped connector containing 3 rows of 5 pins (most often missing 1 pin on the middle row) identical to the ones on the back of a CRT. I expect we will start seeing digital connectors on these things soon but I have not seen any yet. How are you going to take a signal from the Treo and make it go into this input w/o a piece of hardware ?

    I remember a few years back Sanyo I think it was announced that they were planning on releasing a BT LCD projector. I do not think however that the device ever came to market. My organization does at least two seminars a month, sometimes using our own, sometimes using LCD projectors on site. This month we are doing 70 seminars over two days in Albany New York. I mention this because in our experience at all of these sites, we have never seen an LCD projector that allowed for any input other than the standard analog video cable. I expect some are now being made with digital audio cable connectors as a 2nd input but we haven't run into any yet.

    At this point we have three options:

    1. The Treo Software uses BT to send a signal to a laptop / desktop which in turn sends the signal to an LCD projector. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as the Treo is redundant; you still have to bring the laptop.
    2. Replace our Treos with a CF card equipped handheld and use on of the hardware dongle based solutions. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as the Treo is absent.
    3. Try and find a used or still in stock Margi SD card device and hope it works with the 700w. Note that the TC review says "The Margi SD card system is compatible with many Pocket PC SD card handhelds as well as all Palm SD handhelds." Since Margi stopped selling the device some time ago, I have my doubts that, if you can find one, will it be compatable with WM5. I'd also have concerns about ongoing support for a device that has already been discontinued. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as it's no longer available, support for WM5 is questionable and still requires additional hardware [ see package below].





    Just as an added note, remember that if you are going to use the Margi solution, you have no SD card. So where are you going to keep this PPT presentation ? Including the images, my presentations run from 0.5 to 4.0 MB's. The aforementioned review of the Margi solution states:

    "“Presenter-to-Go does not support any slide-transitions, animation, or audio/video features available in Microsoft PowerPoint® Only static slides are supported.”"

    "this means that your expansion memory card is gone and you have to rely upon internal memory only. This is particularly an issue for Treo owners who have too little memory to begin with. At least the Margi folks have come up with some workarounds for this issue. First, all presentations and embedded images are compressed as they are converted to the Presenter-to-Go format and simple slideshows take up a meg or two. "
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 02/02/2006 at 02:30 PM.
  14. #34  
    Well, seeing as there is no standard analog video out on the Treo, and you are saying that many of the projectors you use/come in contact with only accept standard analog video as input, it is IMPOSSIBLE to connect to these projectors without at least some sort of hardware adapter, or funneling through a laptop. The one advantage I see to funneling through a laptop is that you wouldn't have to bring your laptop, you could borrow someone else's at the seminar, but probably not the most practical solution. It seems your best hope is to find an alternative hardware adapter that plugs into the SD port like the ones Margi used to have. Still a hardware intermediate, but at least allows you to bypass a laptop and plug into the LCD "directly". Next best alternative is getting those finnish bluetooth LCD projectors that athreya was talking about, but you'll probably rarely run into those at other sites.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    The stated goal at hand here is something that lets one leave that laptop at home. When an LCD projector is the desired display option, what is the advantage of being able to play the ppt presentation on the Treo if the software program still requires you to funnel the signal from your Treo to a laptop or desktop ?

    Without the referenced software, I need a laptop and an LCD projector to show my audience my ppt show. I would use the USB remote that came with the projector to control the laptop.

    With that software that you pointed us to, I can use my Treo to display my ppt file on my laptop and, thru the laptop, on the LCD projector. The Treo has simply taken the place of the remote. Again the goal here was to display the image from the Treo directly on the LCD projector without additional hardware. That is, no physical devices between the 700w and the LCD Projector.

    The site says that "Periscope enables professional display of the screen of a Pocket PC onto a nearby PC or laptop for projection."

    So what they are saying is that when using Periscope, the signal goes like this:

    Treo -> Laptop / Desktop - > Projector

    What has been asked for is:

    Treo -> Projector

    Margi had a SD card based solution but are no longer making the device. Others that I mentioned use CF Card based dongles but the Treo doesn't have CF card reader.

    Treo Central just published a review of LibertyControl. The description reads:

    "LibertyControl is software that lets you take command of your computer wirelessly with your Treo. Trust me. It’s cool. "

    But the article also mentions Presenter to Go and it again states that:

    "A while back, I reviewed Presenter-to-Go That’s an entirely different beast. With that program, the PowerPoint presentation is actually compressed and stored on your Treo and a hardware dongle connects you to an LCD projector or computer monitor. "

    The input on an LCD projector is an analog Video In port. It's a trapezoidal shaped connector containing 3 rows of 5 pins (most often missing 1 pin on the middle row) identical to the ones on the back of a CRT. I expect we will start seeing digital connectors on these things soon but I have not seen any yet. How are you going to take a signal from the Treo and make it go into this input w/o a piece of hardware ?

    I remember a few years back Sanyo I think it was announced that they were planning on releasing a BT LCD projector. I do not think however that the device ever came to market. My organization does at least two seminars a month, sometimes using our own, sometimes using LCD projectors on site. This month we are doing 70 seminars over two days in Albany New York. I mention this because in our experience at all of these sites, we have never seen an LCD projector that allowed for any input other than the standard analog video cable. I expect some are now being made with digital audio cable connectors as a 2nd input but we haven't run into any yet.

    At this point we have three options:

    1. The Treo Software uses BT to send a signal to a laptop / desktop which in turn sends the signal to an LCD projector. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as the Treo is redundant; you still have to bring the laptop.
    2. Replace our Treos with a CF card equipped handheld and use on of the hardware dongle based solutions. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as the Treo is absent.
    3. Try and find a used or still in stock Margi SD card device and hope it works with the 700w. Note that the TC review says "The Margi SD card system is compatible with many Pocket PC SD card handhelds as well as all Palm SD handhelds." Since Margi stopped selling the device some time ago, I have my doubts that, if you can find one, will it be compatable with WM5. I'd also have concerns about ongoing support for a device that has already been discontinued. Doesn't meet the stated criteria as it's no longer available, support for WM5 is questionable and still requires additional hardware [ see package below].





    Just as an added note, remember that if you are going to use the Margi solution, you have no SD card. So where are you going to keep this PPT presentation ? Including the images, my presentations run from 0.5 to 4.0 MB's. The aforementioned review of the Margi solution states:

    "“Presenter-to-Go does not support any slide-transitions, animation, or audio/video features available in Microsoft PowerPoint® Only static slides are supported.”"

    "this means that your expansion memory card is gone and you have to rely upon internal memory only. This is particularly an issue for Treo owners who have too little memory to begin with. At least the Margi folks have come up with some workarounds for this issue. First, all presentations and embedded images are compressed as they are converted to the Presenter-to-Go format and simple slideshows take up a meg or two. "

    thanks for the comprehensive note.i was also under the impression periscope will project it directly to a projector. sorry for getting it wrong..

    we have a BT projector at work..wondering if i can simply use the BT on the treo to project it or transmit the slides to it? We do it now through a laptop WIRELESSLY
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    we have a BT projector at work..wondering if i can simply use the BT on the treo to project it or transmit the slides to it? We do it now through a laptop WIRELESSLY
    Way cool....can you point me to a manufacturer's site ? I'd like to put one on our shopping list since we have one budgeted for a June purchase.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    I do the xtream one and have not had a problem. What kind of error are you getting? There is no special service, you just need to be an xm subscriber and have an account on XMonline, which is free if you are an subscriber.
    When I go to xstreamxm.com and try to listen to a station, I get the ole "Cannot play the file. The file is either corrupted or the player does not support the format you are trying to play" error... tried a soft reset and using both high and low... nothing worked.. I guess i'll stick with minixm.com for now
  18. #38  
    I used a 'Pitch' unit from iGo with my (get ready) Treo300 and then 600 and 650, to do ppt right from the device. They made a little box unit, not much larger than the Treo itself, which would stand between the Treo & the projector (to your point above, Jack). They have a PPC version, and I've/am testing it. Something, though, isn't kosher. The way the whole peocess works is there's a PC-side component, to which you drag a file onto, and then that file gets converted to a handheld format (not really sure why that's needed on a WM device, but it seems to be), and then that converted file gets installed on the hh. The hamdheld app (called Quickpoint - but not the same as QuickWord & Quicksheet; similar, but different) reads that file and allows presentation via cabled or BT connection to the little unit.
    As I said, I've done this 1000s of time on my Palm OS devices, in much the same vein as Margi, but I can't seem to get the app to fly on my 700w.
    Do a Google on 'Pitch Duo' and see what you get....
  19. #39  
    Well for $250 I am tempted to buy a laptop Seems it's available for the Treon 650 bu I didn't see a "skin" for the 700

    http://www.mobilityelectronics.com/h...t/app_palm.htm

    I assume the conversion process is necessary to both reduce the file size and the resolution of the slkides as it's just too much info to send via BT without significant delay.

    Nice find tho...this is exactly what many peeps will be looking for.
  20. #40  
    HobbesIsReal - Great write up. Where's you get Wisbar Advanced 2.4.1.7 beta from? Website has an older stable release up for d/l.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions