Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    how about this T700w question for some of those that continue to insist that this device doesn't work or isn't worth what your paying for?

-if you didn't know anything about ram or the sort, and went to your local Verizon dealer to buy the device and used it out of the box, AND IT WORKED, would you ever ask about the supposed ram issue?

read carefully now!

regards
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/26/2006 at 10:10 PM.
    You are so right, I have a 700w, formerly used a I600, I used that phone for a 15 months without a problem. I upgraded to the 700 because of bluetooth, and stylus,
    form factor. I have been using the 700 for 3 weeks, have soft rest about 8 times,
    Works great with provided ram..
    Before the phone starts slowing down, probably not. After(because I am a heavy user), yes I would wonder what the problem was.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Before the phone starts slowing down, probably not. After(because I am a heavy user), yes I would wonder what the problem was.
    but you wouldn't know unless you actually "owned it." if you owned it and state such then so be it!

regards
    Good Point, Lady Treo Do you carry and use all your WM5 devices at once??
    No, I end up switching devices depending on what I feel like doing. I may carry one device this week and another the next.

On the other point, I do own the ONE other 32MB RAM WM5 device out there, and yes it does slow down with heavy usage. One 32MB RAM WM5 device is enough for me to know not to get another.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    32mb in a modern WM5 device is about as smart as 256mb base memory in that lowball Dell XP desktop you almost bought. I don't care how many discounts you can get, a $600 retail WM5 device with 32mb RAM is a JOKE.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I don't care how many discounts you can get, a $600 retail WM5 device with 32mb RAM is a JOKE.
    Agreed. It won't run web, music player, GPS and mail simultaneously (tested this last night). Deal breaker for me.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    ... It won't run web, music player, GPS and mail simultaneously (tested this last night). ...
    Agreed. It was not intended for this type of usage. I think we've been through this, it is intended to be a good phone with pda capability, not a pda first, not an entertainment center and not a laptop replacement. If you need these capabilities, you need a different device.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    how about this T700w question for some of those that continue to insist that this device doesn't work or isn't worth what your paying for?

-if you didn't know anything about ram or the sort, and went to your local Verizon dealer to buy the device and used it out of the box, AND IT WORKED, would you ever ask about the supposed ram issue?

read carefully now!
    The real question is "how many of you knew or did REAL research before buying a phone or went in on faith of the Palm Treo name that the phone would be *at least* as competitive as other phones on the market?"

Did Palm commit an egregious sin? Well... maybe. Look at their own marketing. Do you wonder why they don't give the usual ROM/RAM numbers in their specs? Palm says "Memory: 128MB (60MB user accessible) non-volatile" -- so why not the 32MB of RAM number? Why not a meaningful ability to compare against other phones?

Now crap like this does force people to realize now that companies like Palm will sock it to you if you don't know what's *really* under the hood before you buy. Basically, Palm has tarnished it's own image. At one time Sony used to have a lock on TVs and computer monitors because the Trinitron name was known as a "pay more but get the highest quality" brand name. Now they've sunk to a new level in trying to pull the same crap as Palm has by putting in only 32MB of RAM. The fact that you have to "read carefully" means Palm has concealed this potential issue in the fine print -- I love how they advertise the memory in this phone...

oalvarez, you can slice it and dice it any way you want in order to rationalize that the 700w is perfectly fine the way it is. Sure it works and for some they won't notice it after a month's use. But Palm cut a real corner here for many that use the device as a PDA and they will have to deal with the consequences. Enjoy your phone and don't whine when the new OS and apps come out that may tax the limits of the 32MB of RAM. That's all.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Agreed. It won't run web, music player, GPS and mail simultaneously (tested this last night). Deal breaker for me.
    I think if you want to run that many and those types of apps, you need to invest in a media center. (with the exception of the GPS) In what situation would you use those apps simultaneously? Hopefully not while driving.
    It amazes me that the people buying the T700W, Where shocked that the unit only has 32MB , I knew the specs of this phone 3 months ago. Kupe, please dont get behind the wheel when you are. Surfing the net, using the GPs and retreiving your email. LOL good point nuflat...
    I bought it knowing it has 32MB and I'd buy it again--I love the thing and it does work well as a phone. That doesn't mean I'm happy about the 32MB and don't think that Palm goofed up; it hits its limits way too quickly and I'm not what I'd describe as a power user. Again, I'll take it despite the limitations, it is just frustrating because I don't see what the tradeoff is--the battery life is fantastic and memory is cheap.
    I agree, would like more mem, but I still Think its a great unit.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ntaylor
    ...it is just frustrating because I don't see what the tradeoff is--the battery life is fantastic and memory is cheap.
    About $10 saved for Ed's yacht.

Surur
    Hi,

Let me chime in here.
    I've owned the following PDAs -> Newton 100, 110, 2100; Compaq Aero and Aero Color, Compaq iPAQ 3900, HP/Compaq Ipaq 5455. I consider myself somewhat of a PDA expert. I'm also a hardware engineer.

*ALL* and I do mean *ALL* Windows PDA devices *WILL* run out of memory and start running slow.
    It just depends on how many apps you launch in what time frame.

My 5455 needed to have all the applications stopped when it started running slow.
    I have gotton used to going in and killing background apps. No big deal.
    So when I got the 700; I was well aware that applications would have to be stopped or the device would start to slow down from memory issues.

If you are not a Windows PDA user you might be suprised, I was not and bought the phone knowing full well what the memory limitations were. My advice "look deep, before you leap."

tech
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEGRT
    It amazes me that the people buying the T700W, Where shocked that the unit only has 32MB , I knew the specs of this phone 3 months ago. Kupe, please dont get behind the wheel when you are. Surfing the net, using the GPs and retreiving your email. LOL good point nuflat...
    I'm impressed you knew the memory specs 3 months ago - even the Verizon folks posting on Howard Forums were "misinformed" by Palm as to the exact amount - up to the release.

The Treo 700w is a PPC - it's supposed to do all those things at the same time - out of the box - like the rest of them do.

I use that config all the time. My job takes me all over DC so the GPS, Phone App, and music are a fairly constant thing. Email is pretty easy to read at the lights and I need to stay up with it to see where I might be going next. The web is available (without *sigh* closing something else I'm using just so I can load it) to check OWA, or an address, or a client's web site before I go in to meet with them.

I've been operating this way for about 18 months now - I'm surely not willing to back track for a "task-switching" device.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    Agreed. It was not intended for this type of usage. I think we've been through this, it is intended to be a good phone with pda capability, not a pda first, not an entertainment center and not a laptop replacement. If you need these capabilities, you need a different device.
    Thank you! One of the best articulated comments I have seen on this forum in over a month.
    When you pay what many of us paid for the T700w, you should know the specs before you buy. Most of us on this forum know better than to go out and buy something we don't understand. We should have known it had 32mb and should have known the limitations (if any) for your specific usage.

I wonder how many average users out there keep using soft reset and have no idea why. I would assume not many because they aren't greedy like we are. They use basic apps, check email when convenient and go to bed earlier than 2:00 am because they don't need to see what the latest post was regarding memory issues of the t700.

We want everything packed into the 700 and we want to use it all at once. Nothing wrong with that necessarily but if the t700 doesn't do it, then it just doesn't do it. Find something else. For me it's fine.

The funny thing is that the memory thing wasn't an issue until I started reading and writing some of the posts in here. I must have memory issues because everyone keeps telling me I do. I felt like the boy who feels sick just because someone keeps telling him he looks sick.

Sorry to rehash but it's important to understand that most of us on the forum are power users and we will always want more than we get, no matter what device(s) we use...
  20.    #20  
    boy, just what i expected. for most of us that went into the store simply to buy the new windows based Treo have done just fine.

Slinky, while i try and respect your comments i'm starting to think that you're not very well thought out. Do i care if Palm "cut the corners" as you state? NO! because the damn device works right out of the box. I'm not whining and either are many thousands of users, it works for us. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you, Mr. Power User. Whining about what? Pal, whenever this device stops working for me I'll move onto the next. Currently this device works out of the box, maybe not for you (you must be one of those "power users") but it works for many of us. It works. Remember the original post? the question was if "it worked" which you can hardly answer not even owning the device.

i think it's time for mr. slinky to look in the mirror and face the facts. maybe it's you that is justifying owning the treo 650.

You use a Treo 650; is it all that different?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast