Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    LOL, we really should start our own show.

Truth is that we are by far the most technologically aware buyers. People sometimes become more aware when they encounter issues that they assumed wouldn't be issues. This is the reason why marketing is the way it is for the 700w -- they don't want people to see 128/32 when all the other phones say 128/64.

Does this mean it isn't a good phone -- once again, no. I love my 650. It doesn't work for me efficiently because of a lack of WiFi drivers but otherwise I've gotten plenty of usage out of the phone and it's meager 32MB of RAM. I really do love the phone.

But again.. it STILL ticks me off that Palm were a bunch of cheap b@st@rds and basically didn't build a great phone but a pretty good one. That's my new tagline for Palm -- "always approaching greatness but never reaching it."

PS -- The upgrade issues concerning the RAM are real. I think you'll still love your phone. Enjoy it.
    Here's what's funny, Slinky. Even ALL the WM5 Smartphone(the watered down WM5) versions have 64MB RAM. You'd think those would be the ones to put the 32 on! Because obviously the Treo is more useful than them!

I seriously do not know what Palm was thinking. Regardless of what anyone else says! And if they do this again on the supposed 700p or Hollywood, I'll be done with Palm for the time being. The 650 will have to be it for my Palm OS phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    You use a Treo 650; is it all that different?
    That's the most telling statement in this thread. When you think of a WM5.0 device as a Treo 650, then 32 MB is probably more than enough memory. If you've already experienced a full-up PPC phone device, 32 MB is how much memory you want to have left after you get all your programs running/multi-tasking. At 2/3 the cost of a decent laptop, the phone ought to be at least, what, maybe 1/4 as good?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Here's what's funny, Slinky. Even ALL the WM5 Smartphone(the watered down WM5) versions have 64MB RAM. You'd think those would be the ones to put the 32 on! Because obviously the Treo is more useful than them!

I seriously do not know what Palm was thinking. Regardless of what anyone else says! And if they do this again on the supposed 700p or Hollywood, I'll be done with Palm for the time being. The 650 will have to be it for my Palm OS phone.
    Palm was thinking (1) we can fool the hordes of people that really don't know the difference between RAM/ROM/RIMM/REM and as long as we can put out the "128" number we can creatively mislead these people into thinking all things are created equal (2) we can get the many technology enthusiasts who want this form factor while there aren't as many choices and then get them to upgrade AGAIN when the market catches up and we put out a device that will close that gap somewhat.

All of the above was done so that Palm could effectively increase it's bottom line by a few million dollars from the "savings" of providing you with old technology in a critical area. Yes, this is Palm's mantra. "If we can find a way to sell you last year's technology and make you buy again, we will. We are not interested in making a true quality product and we can fool many people into thinking this is the case with our crafty marketing department. We believe most of you are still too stupid to hold it against us and our brand name in the future. Have a nice day."
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Palm was thinking (1) we can fool the hordes of people that really don't know the difference between RAM/ROM/RIMM/REM and as long as we can put out the "128" number we can creatively mislead these people into thinking all things are created equal

"If we can find a way to sell you last year's technology and make you buy again, we will. We are not interested in making a true quality product and we can fool many people into thinking this is the case with our crafty marketing department. We believe most of you are still too stupid to hold it against us and our brand name in the future. Have a nice day."
    Yes, that is exactly what the design engineers, marketing and corporate executives including the CIO, COO, and the CEO were saying as they embarked on their mission. It's almost as though you had a secret voice recorder taped underneath the conference room table where they all met. You are very sneaky, Slinky, you have your finger on the pulse of this market.

Hey, ever thought of picketing in front of their headquarters?

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Palm was thinking (1) we can fool the hordes of people that really don't know the difference between RAM/ROM/RIMM/REM and as long as we can put out the "128" number we can creatively mislead these people into thinking all things are created equal (2) we can get the many technology enthusiasts who want this form factor while there aren't as many choices and then get them to upgrade AGAIN when the market catches up and we put out a device that will close that gap somewhat.

All of the above was done so that Palm could effectively increase it's bottom line by a few million dollars from the "savings" of providing you with old technology in a critical area. Yes, this is Palm's mantra. "If we can find a way to sell you last year's technology and make you buy again, we will. We are not interested in making a true quality product and we can fool many people into thinking this is the case with our crafty marketing department. We believe most of you are still too stupid to hold it against us and our brand name in the future. Have a nice day."
    Hear hear. You are perfectly right. I see even Oalvarez now finally agrees with you.

Surur
    Folks,

I loved the 600 and the 650, and have been a Palm user since the Palm Pilot was introduced. I purchased a T700 the day it came out on Verizon, because I wanted to see how Palm did WM5. I expected to return it, and I did after the 15 day return period.

However, I was really impressed with WM5 and the device -- and never thought that I would consider a Windows device. The T700 impressed me, and so much of WM5 was great. But it slowed down or stopped responding when I installed Skype and tried to Stream Video.

After I returned it, I figured I should give the 6700 on Sprint a try since they have the same 15 day return policy.

I am loving the 6700 on Sprint. I miss the keyboard, but installed Voice Command. For dialing -- voice command works great. This works on both the T700 and the Sprint 6700 (though I am using the trial version of VC and will have to pay for it).

I think that many people using the T700 are missing some of the best apps that are available today for 240 / 320 screens which is the minimum standard for WM 5.

I also think that Sprint is much better than Verizon for EVDO. With Sprint on the 6700, they allow unlimited tethering for $15/month and provide the software (default WModem application). It is much faster (tethered I get 1.5 down and 300 up). The PDANet requires an ActiveSync connection and is flakey and slow.

Multimedia works much better on the 6700 -- you can stream video and audio, and not worry about the device crashing or slowing down. You can also keep all you apps open, the way a WM5 is designed.

I think the T700 is a great device -- but I don't think Treo users are getting the full experience of WM5.

I spent 15 days with the T700 and returned it. I have the Sprint 6700 and am keeping it. Palm did some things well with the T700. Don’t be close minded – the 6700 on Sprint with the data rates and included tethering is great. And the memory on the T700 limits the experience – you shouldn’t have to worry about closing apps.

I also use have used Seven for push e-mail on my 650 (Cingular) for the last year and it also works great on the 6700 (a Sprint partner). It works and you don’t have to worry about SMS overages on Sprint – they don’t charge you.

This is just one long time Palm users opinion.

Glenn
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

I loved the 600 and the 650, and have been a Palm user since the Palm Pilot was introduced. I purchased a T700 the day it came out on Verizon, because I wanted to see how Palm did WM5. I expected to return it, and I did after the 15 day return period.

However, I was really impressed with WM5 and the device -- and never thought that I would consider a Windows device. The T700 impressed me, and so much of WM5 was great. But it slowed down or stopped responding when I installed Skype and tried to Stream Video.

After I returned it, I figured I should give the 6700 on Sprint a try since they have the same 15 day return policy.

I am loving the 6700 on Sprint. I miss the keyboard, but installed Voice Command. For dialing -- voice command works great. This works on both the T700 and the Sprint 6700 (though I am using the trial version of VC and will have to pay for it).

I think that many people using the T700 are missing some of the best apps that are available today for 240 / 320 screens which is the minimum standard for WM 5.

I also think that Sprint is much better than Verizon for EVDO. With Sprint on the 6700, they allow unlimited tethering for $15/month and provide the software (default WModem application). It is much faster (tethered I get 1.5 down and 300 up). The PDANet requires an ActiveSync connection and is flakey and slow.

Multimedia works much better on the 6700 -- you can stream video and audio, and not worry about the device crashing or slowing down. You can also keep all you apps open, the way a WM5 is designed.

I think the T700 is a great device -- but I don't think Treo users are getting the full experience of WM5.

I spent 15 days with the T700 and returned it. I have the Sprint 6700 and am keeping it. Palm did some things well with the T700. Don’t be close minded – the 6700 on Sprint with the data rates and included tethering is great. And the memory on the T700 limits the experience – you shouldn’t have to worry about closing apps.

I also use have used Seven for push e-mail on my 650 (Cingular) for the last year and it also works great on the 6700 (a Sprint partner). It works and you don’t have to worry about SMS overages on Sprint – they don’t charge you.

This is just one long time Palm users opinion.

Glenn
    a wonderful write-up for certain, very well thought out. as for me i could never stand to pull out another slide-out keyboard ever again.

enjoy the 6700.
    Welcome to the world of Windows Mobile devices, Glenn. I've been appreciating them now for over a year. That is not to say I wouldn't purchase the right Palm device, however.

Again, we always make trade-offs.

-- We have a completely "one-handed device" for messaging on a keyboard, looking up contacts, checking mail, making calls, etc. I got tired of stopping in my tracks, putting down my bag just to respond back "Be there in 10 minutes".
    -- We don't have to use Voice Command. It wreaked havoc upon my previous device so Handango refunded my purchase price.
    -- We have a better speakerphone.
    -- We don't have to choose between finding a stylus or smudging our screens (with or without a screen cover)

Everyone has different priorities so I'm glad you have your needs met with the 6700 though.

I'm learning to work within its memory limits for now. When a similar device comes out with more memory, the 700w goes on eBay.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Yes, that is exactly what the design engineers, marketing and corporate executives including the CIO, COO, and the CEO were saying as they embarked on their mission. It's almost as though you had a secret voice recorder taped underneath the conference room table where they all met. You are very sneaky, Slinky, you have your finger on the pulse of this market.

Hey, ever thought of picketing in front of their headquarters?
    I'd love to say that my comment is just the product of my genius intuition. But apparently as you know, anyone spending even a small amount of time in a large corporation and especially on the executive level knows how the game goes and that decisions such as how much RAM to put into the unit and the hit to cost of goods sold is discussed religiously. This also includes the sales and marketing team returning to legal for the 100th time asking whether the advertisement is so misleading so as to attract the attention of the state attorney general and class action lawyers. It also includes the CEO, COO and CIO wondering whether the income from cutting a specific corner will bring in enough net income to meet or beat the street's guestimates and thus be able to collect their bonuses, much to the chagrin of many, including the engineers who really wanted those extra 32MB in there and, with pride, release their ultra impressive new baby to the rave reviews of the press.

And so it goes...
    Glenn, very well said. I went from a T650 (Cingular) to a PPC-6700 (Sprint) and you're spot-on. If 64MB shows up in a WM5 Treo, I'll look at Palm again.

Todd/Indy
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12