Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone point me to a bit of software that allows me to thread my text messaging similar to the way that the 650 does it?
    this thread should get Sticky'd imho
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Bump: I want this too, AND emoticons

I miss using the emoticons like on my 650, lame I know.. but they do infer emotion.

Steve
    I loved that feature of the Treo 650.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Threaded SMS is needed so badly, it's ridiculous. The SMS program on the 700w is so bad that I don't even want to use it. Somebody please write something already!
    man i am glad someone posted this. I was just thinking of posting this question tonight.
    i loved this on the 650
    anyone taken a look at this?

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14659

i dunno if its any good or not.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quazimoto
    anyone taken a look at this?

http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=14659

i dunno if its any good or not.
    I don't see anything saying it's compatible with WM5.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Anybody hear of a solution?
    Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700w
    Add this to the list of why I hate Windows Mobile. Is there any reason to have an icon next to SMS messages if you can't tell whether you replied to the message, etc.?

I tried flexmail which handles SMS but I can't give it a thumbs up. It's marginally better than Outlook but it doesn't work all the time, is bloated, slow and some common tasks are very poorly implemented. It was one of the better mail/inbox handlers I've seen which is unfortunately not worth it at this point. Maybe next version.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I thought I read on another site, I think it was pdaphonehome.com, that someone had found a way to get the threaded sms program off of another WM device that had it, and it could be installed on other WM devices. I would check it out over there. I know I read that it was there and that it worked. Good Luck, wish I could provide more info
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by iramike
    I thought I read on another site, I think it was pdaphonehome.com, that someone had found a way to get the threaded sms program off of another WM device that had it, and it could be installed on other WM devices. I would check it out over there. I know I read that it was there and that it worked. Good Luck, wish I could provide more info
    I have a PPC-6700 and spend a lot of time over at phaphonehome.com and I know what you are talking about. That program is a start in the right direction but in my opinion not worth the headaches it will give you. Stay away from it if you can. It seems that to write a little program for threaded SMS is more difficult compared to what we thought. I just sold my 6700 to make room for a 700p and switched back to my 650 in the meantime.
    yeah threaded sms were great and would have been great on the 700 but what can ya do now? i mean i would much rather have it threaded but the way it is now is fine with me
    Got Treo?
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    You would think that Palm and MS would be savvy enough to know what everyone wants and write a program for us. Funny how they can be so out of touch. Maybe they are too busy trying to fix all the problems with the 700 and dont have time to work on fun stuff like SMS. Its sad really.

However what a business opportunity. Supply is low, demand is high. Man I wish I was a programmer.
    Perhaps this is one of the reasons I am down on the 700w as being a "good" WM mobile phone device. The number 1 usage of mobile phones for young adults is SMS - even more than voice. I think the AOL survey seconds this. The Treo 650 Palm OS implementation is SO VASTLY SUPERIOR to Microsoft's it's pathetic. In fact, I've found nothing that works adequately for SMS. Threading, color/font choices for easy viewing of threads, icon that tells you if you replied, etc. These are the basics.

Even Email is quite pathetic on WM and perhaps part of that is because Outlook works adequately for basic email and there isn't a great deal of incentive for third party developers. Look at Word and Excel. Pathetic compared to Docs to Go on the Palm. It does work so many might not want to spend money on something really adequate so little developer incentive (maybe there is another app here but I missed it, Westek's Suite is inferior.)

I certainly hope this deficiency is addressed.
    If you want a serious word processor for pocketpc thats still compatible with word, try Textmaker ( http://www.softmaker.com/english/tmp_en.htm ) They also make a version for windows and Linux, so its not a trivial app. They also make a similar excel replacement. I'm not sure it will run in the puny memory of the Treo700w however.

Surur
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Every time I see that there are new posts regarding threaded SMS I get so excited because I'm thinking somebody has come out with a great program for the 700w; alas, once again I am disappointed. I'm not sure what it's going to take for some developer to step up and create such a program, but I'm quite sure that whoever does it is going to make a decent chunk of change off it.
    there is a thread at Howardforums about someone who is developing such an application. There appears to be another app called asms or advanced sms that threads sms
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    there is a thread at Howardforums about someone who is developing such an application. There appears to be another app called asms or advanced sms that threads sms
    I think I know the thread you're talking about. It seems to have died out as the person who was allegedly developing the app has apparently fallen off the face of the earth.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    If you want a serious word processor for pocketpc thats still compatible with word, try Textmaker ( http://www.softmaker.com/english/tmp_en.htm ) They also make a version for windows and Linux, so its not a trivial app. They also make a similar excel replacement. I'm not sure it will run in the puny memory of the Treo700w however.
    Superb find! Currently the new PocketPC version is in beta but it really looks like a kicker. The Spreadsheet is also pretty amazing and I'll assume that it should work in the Puny 700w memory but no other apps open. There are versions compatible with older versions of the software so I assume such.

Many thanks although it appears there might be more than just a memory limitation but also screen resolution. This might be able to be handled by the company's screen resizer, which makes me even more disgusted that the 700w couldn't just have had a 320x320 screen or slightly smaller 320x240, end of story. Running 320 in a 240 screen has to be ugly and tought to view but it is the only way some of these things will run.

http://www.softmaker.com/english/nvd_en.htm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast