Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I won a preproduction 700w auction on ebay here. I'm thinking it may be possible to get the ESN and activate it, it just doesn't have a sticker under the battery. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get the ESN through the software on the 700w? On my Samsung i730 dialing **772 will bring up the ESN. Does this work with the 700w? Unless this one is REALLY preproduction and doesn't have the radio in it, they had to activate it somehow when they were testing it. That means it must have an ESN, even if the sticker isn't on the phone. Any other ideas? Thanks for any suggestions. I'll just have to wait for it to come to be sure.
    wow, interesting.

please keep us updated.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You paid over 250 for a phone that clearly states it is for parts only! The seller repeated that this phone will not be able to be activated. You are a bigger risk taker than I care to be. Good luck.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    is the memory on that pre-production model the same as the production 700w?
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I have no idea if the memory is the same or not. I'll find out when I get it. I don't really see much of a risk here though. Yes, he posted it was for parts, but there were obviously other bidders interested in it who bid close to what I did. If I can't activate it or use it for anything, I'll just resell it for around the same price I purchased it for.

In any case, those of you with a 700w, what happens when you dial **772 on it? Any ESN info come up? Is there any standard way with CDMA phones to bring up the ESN like you can with the IMEI of a GSM by dialing *#06#?
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    ESN for the phone shows up in
    Settings -> System -> About -> Phone

Scroll down.
    ESN Dec: xxxxxxxxxxx
    ESN Hex: xxxxxxxx
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Thanks. I'm assuming that either the 700w I purchased doesn't have that section, or it is blank. He stated no ESN was available, so I assume he probably looked there. If I'm REALLY REALLY lucky (I won't be), that will have the ESN and I can activate it no problem. That would be a dream though. If that isn't available, is there any other way to find the ESN with the software? What happens when you dial **772? Is it only Samsung phones that will give you the ESN when you do that (it worked for the i700 as well)? I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the phone. It'll be fun and interesting to play around with it and see what I can do.
    It's not one of the dial codes for a Treo.
    IT tries to dial the number.
    smeg36 - I have seen similar units, and unless the ESN is blocked by Verizon you should not have any problems activating it.
    I can't see why people would pay that much. I think it was just bidding frenzy. Hopefully when you sell it to try to recoup some of your money you'll get a bidding frenzy, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    I can't see why people would pay that much. I think it was just bidding frenzy. Hopefully when you sell it to try to recoup some of your money you'll get a bidding frenzy, too.
    Oh come on, we live in an age where knuckleheads will pay thousands to buy someones mashed potatoes cuz it looks like some religious character.
    Last edited by Insertion; 01/26/2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: my speeling is teh sux0r
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Oh come one, we live in an age where knuckleheads will pay thousands to buy someones mashed potatoes cuz it looks like some religious character.
    mmmm, mashed potatos.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Don't worry about me recouping my money. I do this on ebay frequently, and almost always come out on top. Thanks for the ray of light marcus, I will definitely be posting every detail of my adventure when it comes.
    Any news on this?

TIA,
    Todd/Indy
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'm not even sure he shipped it yet actually. The auction states he will email the tracking number within 3 business days, and it's been 2. As I've been thinking about it, I've come up with several possibilities.

1) I find the ESN by going to Start/Settings/About/Phone, and am able to activate it. My dream comes true, and I get a 700w for less than half the cost of a new one.

2) It is a extremely pre-production model and doesn't even have a radio in it. At least the PPC works and I can resell it on ebay for close to what I paid, if not more.

3) I find the ESN, but Verizon won't activate it because it is a preproduction

4) Verizon demands it back when I try to activate it because it was supposed to be returned by the original owner

5) Verizon replaces it with a new 700w because I can't get it activated (not likely at all, but it wouldn't be the first time. They did replace a broken 7135 I got off ebay with a Treo 600).
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    It arrived today. So far I'm pretty discouraged. It arrived just as I was leaving for work, so I haven't got a lot of time to play with it yet. It doesn't turn on (assuming the battery is dead), and won't charge using either the USB charge cable I got or the travel wall charger I got a Office Depot today. Both the chargers were for the 650. That shouldn't matter, right? There is an ESN under the battery, but it wouldn't activate with VZW's online activation tool. I really want to at least turn this sucker on. Any ideas on how to get it to charge or where I can get an external battery charger without waiting days for it to be shipped to me? I live in Miami if anyone knows of any stores that may have an external battery charger. Any other suggestions? I want to at least turn it on before I start going to Verizon trying to get it activated.
    Get what you paid for my friend. Try a radio shack or Best Buy.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smeg36
    It arrived today. So far I'm pretty discouraged. It arrived just as I was leaving for work, so I haven't got a lot of time to play with it yet. It doesn't turn on (assuming the battery is dead), and won't charge using either the USB charge cable I got or the travel wall charger I got a Office Depot today. Both the chargers were for the 650. That shouldn't matter, right? There is an ESN under the battery, but it wouldn't activate with VZW's online activation tool. I really want to at least turn this sucker on. Any ideas on how to get it to charge or where I can get an external battery charger without waiting days for it to be shipped to me? I live in Miami if anyone knows of any stores that may have an external battery charger. Any other suggestions? I want to at least turn it on before I start going to Verizon trying to get it activated.
    I thought the 650 charge cables worked with the 700.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    maybe it's a store demo.... Plastic with no electronics.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    No, not a store demo. That would have been obvious. I ended up getting a 650 cradle and charging the battery through the extra battery slot (desperate, I know). I was able to get it to charge on the wall charger for a couple minutes. I'll have to mess with it more when I get home.

A few things to note;

1) I'm pretty sure it is 64MB RAM. The memory tab shows 30.75 MB total Storage and 26.79 MB Total Program memory.

2) I'm not sure how to go about activating it. It has an ESN under the battery, but when it is turned on it shows No Service on the phone portion (when I have full signal on my i730). Is there a way to manually load a PRL or manually activate it? Anyone with more knowledge (marcus maybe) want to tell me how to go about trying to activate it?

3) There are duplicates of phone and backlight. One of the phone options takes me to a dialpad that shows Unlnown SIM status.

More to come when I get home and am not on my i 730.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast