Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tonight I stumbled upon something extremely cool... something I had hoped would be available to those of us using the 700w with unlimited bandwidth... live video streaming TV.

I found it by going to an IE bookmark to windowsmedia.com -- right at the top is a link for "Watch Live TV" (smartvideo.com) -- I clicked it and set up a free 7-day account and within a few minutes later I was watching live streaming MSNBC TV. It wasn't that great, so I checked out the "Settings" link buried at the bottom of the page. There it had the option to switch it from the default "low speed" to "high speed" -- then I watched the MSNBC stream again and *WOW* -- the video and audio were incredible!!! I even had it playing while driving around town just to see if it would stay going... it did... for a long time!

Unfortunately they only have a few live video streams... MSNBC and CNBC. The rest are "on demand" (i.e. canned) videos--not that impressive.

The problems with this particular service is that they only have a few live video streams, the setting "low speed" is always the default (you have to change it every time you fire up the app), and they charge $13/mo for it. For me, I'd be happy to pay $13/mo if I got more live channels... not just these two. It's cool, but not $13/mo cool.

I surfed around the net and couldn't find what I was looking for... maybe it doesn't exist? I'm surprised iTunes or a big company like TimeWarner or COX isn't providing a streaming service like this to paying customers. Heck, XM and Sirius are with their commercial satellite radio programming, and VZW is doing it with their VCast crap, so why isn't this available for those who have converged?
    Check out orb.com for a *free* streaming media solution. You install their software on your desktop computer (preferably one with a TV tuner card) and then it streams your audio/video/live TV/internet TV/webcams/pics/Outlook contacts/etc all to your 700w for free. Amazing. I love being able to watch live local TV or check my webcam from the road. Now they just need to fix the problems with audio playlists only playing one track, and get Palm/MS to address the Media Player backlight bug. Obviously bandwidth is key, but I also think I get smoother video streaming using Xcpuscalar cranked up to 520 MHz.

One of the reasons I chose the 700w was to eventually pair it up with a Slingbox (which is still pretty damn sweet hooked up to your DVR) once the WM5 client came out, but now with Orb I think I'll wait on that purchase!

The next streaming application I'm waiting on is Pandora, but I think we'll need Macromedia to release a new version of Flash for that to be compatible. Either that or the guys at pandora.com need to figure out a way to stream their audio to our treos without using Flash.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelynch
    Check out orb.com for a *free* streaming media solution. You install their software on your desktop computer (preferably one with a TV tuner card) and then it streams your audio/video/live TV/internet TV/webcams/pics/Outlook contacts/etc all to your 700w for free. Amazing. I love being able to watch live local TV or check my webcam from the road.
    nice..but is it all free, or is there some kind of catch?
    It's 100% free - I haven't figured out how they plan to make money and stay in business yet, but I'm not complaining.... ;-)
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    wow. just installed it. amazing.
    i hope there is no spyware etc involved...but still can't believe it is free
    Last edited by plasmo; 01/27/2006 at 07:16 AM.
  6.    #6  
    orb.com is cool, but only if you have TV input to your PC to begin with... I don't, so this product isn't very useful to me.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    I cant get the tv to work with my orb-all the channels from my tuner show up too

SO SAD!
  8.    #8  
    If this will work, I'll gladly go out and pick up a TV tuner USB thingy for my laptop and hook it up.
    Smartvideo offers free streaming music vdis to WM devices like the 700w:

http://www.smartvideo.com/index.html

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  10.    #10  
    Gaurav, thanks but if you notice in my original post, that's what got me started -- I just don't feel their services justify spending $13/mo at this point. If they add more live streaming TV, maybe... but not now.
    Make sure you buy a TV tuner that is on their list of compatible models. Mine wasn't on the list but luckily it worked anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sourmash
    Gaurav, thanks but if you notice in my original post, that's what got me started -- I just don't feel their services justify spending $13/mo at this point. If they add more live streaming TV, maybe... but not now.
    They do offer a free service for streaming music videos though:

http://www.dmvn.com/free/

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    <moved>

Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I hooked up my ATI HDTV Wonder up with Orb and I get nice and clear OTA DTV without any cable static on my 700w! not like a 50" plasma, but i'm not complaining...
  15.    #15  
    Orb's list of supported hardware is very minimal... and there's only one USB option they list (which I need since I have a notebook computer):

http://www.orb.com/get_orb/system_requirements/

I found it at CompUSA for $99
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...902&pfp=BROWSE

and at Circuit City for $199
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ADS-T...oductDetail.do

Quite a difference in pricing, but I'm sure one will honor the other's price. I may have to check this out, unless someone knows of another USB option that will work with Orb.
  16.    #16  
    Just found this article about mobile TV on the home page of news.com

http://news.com.com/Mobile+TV+gets+o...?tag=nefd.lede

Very interesting... a lot of attention to new mobile tv technologies. However, since I'm already paying for unlimited EVDO through VZW and all I need to do is use Orb and spend $100 on a USB tuner for my notebook, that seems like the best route to go... and then I can get all of my TimeWarner cable channels streamed to me anytime I want.
    Are you folks successful using orb with a workstation connected (wired or wireless) to a wireless router like Linksys? That is a problem I've consistently experienced had trying to get my handheld connected to my workstation.

Is there something special you need to do?

I just don't feel their services justify spending $13/mo at this point. If they add more live streaming TV, maybe... but not now.
    I'm with you on this. I'd pay $13 if it included cable stations and a couple $$ more for a premium channel. In the meanwhile, I'd be willing to give Orb a go.

Let us know how the USB device works with your laptop. I use old laptops as servers for redirecting mail and such.
  18.    #18  
    I have a D-Link wireless home router and so far my WebCam (Logictech QuickCam Pro) works like a charm, except for the 15-second delay. I found the Instant TV Deluxe USB for $99 at Fry's and am headed down to get it and try it out later today. If this works, then outside of having unlimited EVDO and spending $99 for the hardware, you can pull up all the same channels you have at home on your Treo. Can't wait to see how well this works.
    Minor rant on:

That article really misses the emerging trends. Products like Orb, MyTinyTv, and the mobile client for Slingbox are so much more functional than the carriers' offerings as to soon render their business models largely obsolete. I used to pay $10 for MobiTV on Cingular-what a waste. I called and e-mailed Idetic (now MobiTV, Inc.) and Cingular on numerous occasions with content feedback/requests and never got so much as a "thanks for your input" much less saw any positive changes. I want access to what I pay for already--not a looped, watered-down unreasonable facsimile!

Minor rant off:
    Todd/Indy
    I found the Instant TV Deluxe USB for $99 at Fry's and am headed down to get it and try it out later today. If this works, then outside of having unlimited EVDO and spending $99 for the hardware, you can pull up all the same channels you have at home on your Treo. Can't wait to see how well this works.
    Does it work?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast