1.    #1  
    Anyone have any thoughts on this ? I currently have a i730 which i had moved to from a treo 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by riekl
    Anyone have any thoughts on this ? I currently have a i730 which i had moved to from a treo 650.
    You might check over at HoFo under Verizon > PDA. There have been several threads comparing these 2 devices.
    My thoughts... in terms of the hard device..
    The form factor of the 700w is better for my use and "feel" for a convergence device... I didn't like the i730 sliding lid or bulk.

Ergonomics are superior (relative to the size) on the 700w, keyboard is closer to my BlackBerry experience.. I kept dropping the "kludgy" i730...

This are just my opinions from direct experience, YMMV. I have some other thoughts regarding OS and applications - prefer the 700 too... my only gripe is with ActiveSync and USB connectivity on the 700w.
    i tried the 730 before i purchased the 650 (and now 700). i really found the 730s keyboard to be difficult on the sides (letters on far left and right).

that being said if you are used to it, i would stay with the 730...not sure what you get by moving to 700, especially if you are already used to the bigger size and sliding board
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I had an i730 and went back to my 600 for several months before getting the 700.

There were a lot of things about the phone operation of the i730 that drove me crazy (some little, some big):

1. you had to lock the device to keep it from dialing randomly. The treo doesn't do this. Also, unlocking the device was clumsy.
    2. the speakerphone was not convenient to use. It is on the treo.
    3. battery life - well, there was no battery life on the i730
    4. One handed operation is far better on the treo thanks to WM5. WM5 has a lot of other improvements, such as contact integration, that may be native to WM5 or may also be Palm tweaks. That is one question - how much of the improved functionality of the 700 is due to WM5 and how much is due to Palm tweaks. This might be relevant if you're thinking about the WM5 upgrade that will be available for the i730.
    5. The backlight went off when the i730 connected on a call.
    6. When you wanted to dial, you would get the message requiring you to manually disconnect a data session. This was aggravating beyond belief.
    7. Memory management is easier on the 700. People are bashing the 700 because it only has 32mb memory. This is a fair criticism, but the fact is that even though the i730 has more memory, it is much more cumbersome to turn programs off without the ok button(without third party apps).
    8. I was not impressed with BT on the i730. Very limited range. I'm not sure if it's better on the treo, but I haven't seen many complaints.
    9. etc, etc, etc.

The bottom line is that the treo is much better as a phone than the i730, even though it may not be as good as a data device. At least, that's my opinion.
    I agree with your assessment except for this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    7. Memory management is easier on the 700. People are bashing the 700 because it only has 32mb memory. This is a fair criticism, but the fact is that even though the i730 has more memory, it is much more cumbersome to turn programs off without the ok button(without third party apps).
    The i730 comes with Samsung's Launcher program which not only gives you one-handed program launching capability, but one-handed program switching and one-handed program terminating software in one small (2k memory) program. Launcher uses the dedicated button that will probably become the "Menu" button when the WM5.0 upgrade comes out next month. By comparison, the 700w's implementation is a kludge anyone could create with button mapping.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    I agree with your assessment except for this one:

The i730 comes with Samsung's Launcher program which not only gives you one-handed program launching capability, but one-handed program switching and one-handed program terminating software in one small (2k memory) program. Launcher uses the dedicated button that will probably become the "Menu" button when the WM5.0 upgrade comes out next month. By comparison, the 700w's implementation is a kludge anyone could create with button mapping.
    Frankly, I never knew about the Launcher. Probably, I wasn't paying as much attention to memory with the i730 as I do with the 700 (because of all the negative attention it's received.) With the i730, I would just get periodic resets when memory got overloaded.

Edit: Actually, I now remember the Launcher. I don't remember that it actually terminated programs. In any event, it's history to me and I'm happy with my 700, memory issues notwithstanding.
    Last edited by jstpa; 01/25/2006 at 09:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    LOL.. the launcher is a cute app...used it a little but nothing hugely cool.

I actually had more memory issues with the i730! It was because it shared its 64MB of memory between storage and program memory and when i went to download large podcasts thru PIE (and i selected to store it on my SD card) it would use PIE's cache as a temporary storage location before it copied it to the SD card....very irritating....

WM5 now uses its dedicated storage memory for PIE cache so that is a thing of the past. Of course this is not the fault of the i730 as much as it is WM2003...and when it get upgraded to WM5 it will be a nice device but I have gotten so used to the 700w with the exposed (and much better) keyboard that I will be using it as my primary PHONE device.

As for my primary PDA device (not that i really need one since the 700w does everything I need a PDA to do) it will be the i730. Oh... another nice feature of the i730 (and the one im using mine for everyday) is its consumer IR. It lets me use it as a remote control for my TV/VCR/DVD/etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    LOL.. the launcher is a cute app...used it a little but nothing hugely cool.
    The good ones sure are functional and non-intrusive.
    I actually had more memory issues with the i730! It was because it shared its 64MB of memory between storage and program memory and when i went to download large podcasts thru PIE (and i selected to store it on my SD card) it would use PIE's cache as a temporary storage location before it copied it to the SD card....very irritating....
    Too bad you weren't a regular at PDAPhoneHome. The FAQs in the i730 forum listed a very simple (as in took 10 seconds to perform, all internal to the i730, you might call it cute ) hack to redirect IE's cache to either the persistent storage or your memory card. Good stuff. If you ran out of memory on the i730, you're going to have a heck of a time with the 700w.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Too bad you weren't a regular at PDAPhoneHome. The FAQs in the i730 forum listed a very simple hack to redirect IE's cache to either the persistent storage or your memory card.
    Yes I know about the registry modification ("hack") and where it originated (not at PDAPhoneHome). I guess I was referring to an out of the box type of experience...its not like any normal user can be expected to modify the registry on their device.

Also, check the first item on the i730 FAQ (How do I use the i730 as a USB Modem) and who wrote it! Yup, its was me!
    Your welcome

Good stuff. If you ran out of memory on the i730, you're going to have a heck of a time with the 700w.
    Like I said..my experience has actually been the opposite. I have not had problems with the memory on the 700w. Granted I only have a few apps (ExAUTD, Newsbreak, eWallet, GSPlayer) I run so im not a memory power user.

I just feel the overall end user experience is much better on the 700w. At least it is for me. Battery life on the 700w vs the i730 is also like night and day.

If you want a really good phone with great PDA functions I feel the 700w is better....If you want a good PDA with (mediocre ) phone functions then go for the i730.

Of course this is all IMHO.
    I get to use both of these regularly. When dealing with customers wanting to know wich one is "better" i usually say that they are different. I think that the sam i730 is excellent as well as the 700w. They are both different which is what people want. not everyone likes the treos from factor or palm influences on the OS. On the other hand not everyone likes the slide out keyboard on the i730 or the lack of a wm5 upgrade. Basically they are different and the factors that determine which is "better" is really dependent on the user.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Also, check the first item on the i730 FAQ (How do I use the i730 as a USB Modem) and who wrote it! Yup, its was me!
    Your welcome
    Hah - you da man Gex. Thanks for that ... not that I would EVER tether.
    Like I said..my experience has actually been the opposite. I have not had problems with the memory on the 700w. Granted I only have a few apps (ExAUTD, Newsbreak, eWallet, GSPlayer) I run so im not a memory power user.
    That's still afairly representative group of programs though - and respectable on the 700w's part. On the i730, I watch my (shared) memory growth pretty closely - with about 8 mb of storage remaining in SDRAM, I have about 45 mb "allocated" to running programs of which about 33 mb is remaining after loading all the startup stuff (like VZW Sync)
    I just feel the overall end user experience is much better on the 700w. At least it is for me. Battery life on the 700w vs the i730 is also like night and day.

If you want a really good phone with great PDA functions I feel the 700w is better....If you want a good PDA with (mediocre ) phone functions then go for the i730.
    Coming from you this means a lot to me. What's your address - I want to know where to send the bill for my new phone as you're convincing me to take a closer look at the 700w.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    What's your address - I want to know where to send the bill for my new phone as you're convincing me to take a closer look at the 700w.
    LOL.. I'd wait for the WM5 upgrade to the i730! It will be a nice comparison then....One handed operation on the i730 will greatly increase with WM5. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't include the launcher app at that point.

The i730 is the speed demon of the two...form factor will be a decisive point...also my i730's don't have near as nice of a mic when im on calls...at least according to my GF who has little patience for a bad mic...actually she has little patience for much of anything should trade her in for a new model
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Your welcome
    What I want to know is if anyone has found a way to use the 700W as a EV-DO modem. I swear I remember reading it somewhere on this forum but I dont think I bookmarked it and I know I will be needing that. Please someone Answer that.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    btw, I know about junefabrics product already, but I'm thinking that I can wait on DUN until someone figures out how to enable it without having to purchase an app. I just looking for something over cable (free) for right now.