Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What's the big deal?

Can someone point me to what the best settings are?
    After playing with it for a few minutes on the 700w, it's slow (I've cached everything locally, not on the SD card)-seems slower than PIE, and it doesn't remember the last page you were on when it restarts (after you STOP it).

Furthermore, it can't load a page like treonauts.com, even with no other programs running in the background, and the formatting is just awful (full page, scaled-to-fit rendering, text zoom at 75%).

(Reminds me a lot of Blazer right now unfortunately).

I'm sure I'm missing something. Hopefully someone can fill-in the blanks.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    That's what I thought of it. In fact, it may remind you of it because Blazer uses the same engine to render pages as Netfront. It's a shame that so many companies have bought into that technology (even the PSP). I uninstalled it from a PPC that I installed it on.

It's quite amazing that from all the money they made from this browser 'technology' of theirs they were able to purchase palmsource...
  3.    #3  
    I knew Blazer was based on the NetFront core, but I figured the PPC version was better-people rave about it while they find tools to dump Blazer from the ROM.

Whatever happened to this being the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Any other browser recommendations? I'd prefer one with the cruise option.
    Your problem is probably directly related to having a low ram, low resolution device. Its lovely on a VGA screen, and it has all the options desktop IE has, e.g. saving a page, saving images, animating pictures, opening a link in another page etc.

Surur
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Your problem is probably directly related to having a low ram, low resolution device. Its lovely on a VGA screen, and it has all the options desktop IE has, e.g. saving a page, saving images, animating pictures, opening a link in another page etc.

Surur
    That's entirely possible. but it still doesn't remember the last page it was on when you (or the Treo) closes it. Anyway, what's the best borwser for the Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    That's entirely possible. but it still doesn't remember the last page it was on when you (or the Treo) closes it.
    WM doesn't save state, it multi-tasks Maybe its worth trying Opera for smartphones, ( http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/ ) which also work on WM5 pdaphones, and will have better one handed usage, designed for smaller screens and use less resources.

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2588

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 01/27/2006 at 12:20 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    WM doesn't save state, it multi-tasks Maybe its worth trying Opera for smartphones, ( http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/ ) which also work on WM5 pdaphones, and will have better one handed usage, designed for smaller screens and use less resources.

http://www.theunwired.net/?itemid=2588

Surur
    I understand that, but I'm frustrated with this Blazer-esque re-rendering of a page that should be stored in the cache. And on the 700w, when NetFront closes, it's usually the OS, not the user, that's shutting it down.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Opera looks ****ing amazing. If it worked on my 700 with batterypackpro then id use it still. I wish it showed how many tabs were open (and had the tabs at the top so you could switch in between them with the touchscreen if you so chose).

Netfront is...uninspired.
  9.    #9  
    How can NF, Opera, PIE users actually USE these slow POS? They don't seem to be any better than that POS Blazer in terms of speed.

PIE, Opera, and NF all are SLOW and have awful formatting on my 750, so I know it's not just a 6700/700w issue. OperaMini is great (because of the proxy), but I can't copy and paste or pass a link through the java environment.

Maybe I'm just using the wrong settings... Anyone?
    Does anybody have download links for the Opera 8.65 beta? I've been trying off this page for a couple days now and the pages never load.
    http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/products/
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    i hate opera mobile and NF and even PIE. i use operamini always on my 750 and its great! opera mobile, NF, and PIE seem to render pages slow and everything so i say stick with operamini!
    what version of opera mini are you using? Can you post a link to the version you use?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    not sure... but if you go to m.opera.com you just download it... BUT you have to have a java emulator...

this is the one i use
    ftp://xda:xda@ftp.xda-developers.com...anager_v11.zip

it will also allow you to use opera mini, google mail(no version for winmobile out yet, but with the midlet manager you can run it perfect.)

hopefully this helps!
    Excuse my ignorance here. I've downloaded opera mini I a zip file which looks like it includes two .dll files. I've also downloaded the midlet which installed an icon in my programs folder. What do I do now?

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    setup the midlet manager first then download opera mini from your mobile phone at m.opera.com click the download now link then use your file explorer and find the opera mini download and just click on it, it should automatically bring up the midlet manager and you should see it loading then opera mini should be setup to work!

let me know if you need more help!
  16.    #16  
    I have OperaMini and PIE. I thought this would be enough. But just recently, I opened a large page where I wanted to search for the text I needed. Apparently I can't do that on either browser. I can't believe that after 5 iterations of the PPC platform PIE STILL doesn't have a "search on page" opton. Yes, NetFront does, but it's slow and I don't want to be forced into using a THIRD browser for basic functionality.
    I've downloaded the opera program which for a treo700wx opera is calling it a blackberry file. Is that right? Anyway the opera zip file has two files in it: operette_hifi_dll. So is that the one I click on? I also installed the midlet which puts an icon in my programs file. Clicking on the icon does nothing.

Help
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    thats where your going wrong don't download the blackberry file or anything else just click on the download now. it should download a file called operamini 3.1.jad or operamini31.jar.

those are the only files you need. just click on them when downloaded and it will bring up the midlet manager and it will work!

let me know if this works.
    Quote Originally Posted by kr3st View Post
    thats where your going wrong don't download the blackberry file or anything else just click on the download now. it should download a file called operamini 3.1.jad or operamini31.jar.

those are the only files you need. just click on them when downloaded and it will bring up the midlet manager and it will work!

let me know if this works.
    I'm sorry but I don't understand your post. There is no "Download now" link at m.opera.com. There is a Download tab at the top but you have to go through a process of selecting your phone manufactuter etc.

What am I missing?
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    in pie... if i go to m.opera.com theres a download now link and other text thats it no tabs not the full site nothing but links for download now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast