1.    #1  
    My window on obtaining a BT GPS unit is closing with my trip departure next week...

That being said can anyone confirm if BT GPS and BT Phone Ear-Set can be used simultaneously on the Treo 700w?

If not, I'm relegated to a hard GPS connection such as offered with the Holux GPSlim236... otherwise I'd like to get an i-Blue.

Also, anyone notice that popping on your Treo 700 when using the BT phone ear-set? My first 2 units had it, but my newly replaced 3rd unit is static and pop free with the same BT phone ear-set? Hmmm...
    This is copied from anotehr thread:

Seidio will release a GPS bundle next week (1/10) which includes

1) G2200 car kit for 700W
    2) Seidio RBT-2101 Blue tooth receiver (SiRF iii chip set and 17-20 hours battery)
    3) for software, you can select iguidance or Tomtom 5

Seidio will also offer an optional Blue tooth charging cable so you can charge BT receiver from G2200 car kit

If you are looking for skin and carrying holster for 700W, Seidio will also offer
    the skin/holster combo in about one week from now.

David Chang
    Seidio
    dsc@seidio.com

Personally I prefer a wired solkution so no batteries to deal with and my Palm stays charged...might wanna e-mail and see if they have a wired solution in da works
    Quote Originally Posted by cognetic
    My window on obtaining a BT GPS unit is closing with my trip departure next week...

That being said can anyone confirm if BT GPS and BT Phone Ear-Set can be used simultaneously on the Treo 700w?

If not, I'm relegated to a hard GPS connection such as offered with the Holux GPSlim236... otherwise I'd like to get an i-Blue.

Also, anyone notice that popping on your Treo 700 when using the BT phone ear-set? My first 2 units had it, but my newly replaced 3rd unit is static and pop free with the same BT phone ear-set? Hmmm...
    I currently have a Bluetooth TomTom receiver and a Jabra JX10 headset and they both work quite well at the same time. I've received calls while TomTom stays active and running on the 700. On top of that, I also have my laptop paired with the 700 and have had all three devices connected at the same time.

-Chris
    Hi,

I have generic BT GPS from eBay with Mapopolis and a Jabra BT500 headset.
    They play well together.
  5.    #5  
    Cool!! Thanks for confirming...
    Much easier and less clutter than buying a powered mount with all those wires... already have an iGo iTip for the Treo 700w and I'll try out that new i-Blue with the 30+ hours of battery time and auto-off feature.

Now... about that software... Are you using TomTom with the patch for 240x240 display? How does Mapopolis play with screen size?
    Now... about that software... Are you using TomTom with the patch for 240x240 display? How does Mapopolis play with screen size?
    Yes, I'm using the 5.21 patch for TomTom which can be found here. I personally haven't tried Mapopolis. The TomTom software was a bit of a pain to get set up, but once it's there it's absolutely amazing and the receiver is very accurate. I'll never be lost on the road again.

-Chris
    CoolMuch easier and less clutter than buying a powered mount with all those wires?
    Just wanna amke sure you know that "all those" = 1 wire.

Will you be using a mount or just laying your Treo on the Dashboard ?
    will you be charging your Treo during the ride ?

BT GPS Setup = Treo + Mounting cradle + charging wire + BT receiver
    Wired GPS Setup = Treo + Mounting cradle + charging wire

Cigarette Lighter plug (or alternate hidden wire thru dash) that provides power to the cradle is the only wire. Not sure how much time you get on Treo with screen on at full brightness constantly but my guess is about 2 hours or so. Your BT receiver batteries will probably last 10 times longer than your Treo.

If you are taking a trip of 2 hours or less, no problem I guess ... well assuming that you have Treo charger at end of ride and don't need phone usage till battery charged....either that or spare battery(ies).

I found that since I needed the Treo to be charging anyway for my trips of 4-6 hours, I needed Treo charging cradle especially if I wanted to be able to sue the thing when I got to destination. Since the BT GPS is built into the cradle, there are no additional wires.

Now if you gonna hand carry your GPS around with you with Treo in hand and BT receiver on your person, then a BT receiver beats carrying around a power source.
  8.    #8  
    My thinking... Single cable to charge and use Treo 700w plus suction mount holder...with a 30 hour run capacity on the i-Blue... pretty streamlined for air travel, simple to slip into attache for use in rental car at destination... and in my rover I'll use a cradle mount with hidden cable for Treo charger... might think about that powered cradle mount with GPS... or just a dedicated GPS device with a bigger screen... I've used a wired GPS set-up with iPaq for a wireless security audit config in past... thanks for sharing your thoughts, forgot about those with built in GPS.
    ...with a 30 hour run capacity on the i-Blue...
    Wouldn't it be great if we had a 27,000 mAH battery for the Treo and we're all set....c'mon 3rd party vendors....best you can do is 2400....get to work !

I need a 12 v solution and handlebar holder for my bike now! And trail mapping software like Delorme's.
  10.    #10  
    Ha!! I did see a bike handlebar mount that works with the Akron mounts that could hold a Treo 700... I think it was on the Semson site. When I talked to the Semson folks about battery life on the various BT GPS units, my mouth dropped when he said they were getting 30 hours with the i-Blue. Made me want to try it... figure if I don't like it I could give it to my wife and get another... or do the same when something better comes out... like longer battery life in a SiRF III

I have an electronics and tactical communication background... have solar powered charging capability in my Land Rover - 2nd battery for things like winch, HF communications gear, phones, compressor, fridge, etc. Not too worried about powering gear in the truck...

For a bike, did you notice the solar charged BT unit at Semson?

I knew a guy that had quit an outfitted bike pod (recumbant) that he used on extended cycling trips (weeks and months)... it was decked out with solar and friction charge, 10 & 20 watt halogens, GPS, PC, wireless data, 802.11 war driver, XM radio, HF/VHF/UHF, and cellular... young "retired" lawyer that felt a calling to ride...
    Well the GPS is low power consymption so getting 30 hours while your Treo gets 2 is not getting me anywhere unless I carry 15 Treo batteries. I have seen generator gizmos that run via friction roller on a bike....wonder if one could be adapted for our usage.
  12.    #12  
    I have a simple flexible solar panel that is ideal for throwing on my back pack to charge lead acid cells while hiking... rolls up when not in use... I have seen some solar panel type tape that can be applied to superior surfaces of bikes and linked in series to supply voltage output... one could mount a small battery (maybe even Li-Ion - but requires more sophisticated charging circuit) under the seat, terminate the solar series on the battery with diode and small voltage regulator for charging, attached a charging circuit to step down the 12 volt battery and solar voltage to 5.2v, run another wire from the battery under your top frame bar to the mount on the handle bar and attach a suitable connector...

To simplify... construct the solar panels and 12 volt battery charger with diode as above and then place a 12 volt female power plug under your seat attached to the battery... then use one of those i-Gos auto chargers with 12v male plug, splice a wire to fit the run under the top frame bar and use an i-Tip for Treo 650 /700 on the other end...

Awww.. even easier.. buy one of those 15 - 25 dollar quick chargers for various PDAs like the Treo 650 / 700 that runs off 9volt, a rechargable, or AA battery and mount it under the cradle mount for the Treo.
    The Seidio cradle could easily be adpted for handlebar mounting. That leaves a male 12v ciggie plug on the end. A solar panel over a camelback might work for a roadie but as a mountain biker, the tree cover isn't gonna give me much sunlight. A quick web search came up dry on a friction whell generator / charger but I have noticed some Treo tests on movies getting 5 hours out of a full charge....not too bad.
  14.    #14  
    I was at CompUSA the other day and saw amidst auxillary battery packs for iPods an auxillary battery pack for the Treo 650. I'll bet it works well enough for your purpose.

BTW I'm a phat tire dood... never could develop a roadie habit.. the canopy that prevents solar power will likely prevent GPS tracking, too. I used a ruggedized iPaq for a while with a highly sensitive SiRF mouse - wired.. I used to do the Adventure Race thing until ankle and knee fractures took me out... for now... had a very ruggedized set-up on the phat tire trainer that served as a cross-country trail and trek master...

The solar "tape" for lack of better descriptor applies straight to frame, has an adhesive backing and I believe if you use enough of it in parallel you can get some decent amperage at 12volt. It is not cheap... probably run $300 - $500. I have seen similar stuff on communication manpacks used in military and NATO ops. Definitely will need a diode and conditioner for charging.. this isn't RadioShack grade. I think it is also used in boating now since it is weatherproof.