Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Until two weeks ago I was Treo 600 from the very start (Sprint plan). I was eyeing enviously the upcoming 700 and was considering a jump to Verizon.

Then 2 weeks ago my 600 died yet again, so did the replacement 600, and then they gave me a 650. However, while in the store I eyed a PPC 6700 from Sprint, and the rest was history.

I decided to pass on the 700 in favor of the 6700 for the following reasons.

1) Sprint EVDO service is, in fact, comparable to Verizon; at least in my area. I was able to compare a Verizon PCCard to my PPC6700 working as a modem. Both hooked up to the same laptop, both with full signal. Verizon had 498kbps downstream, Sprint had 692kbps. Some users report 800kbps with 4 bars on Sprint's EVDO.

2) Screen. The 700's 240x240 does not compare with the 6700's 320x240.

3) WiFi. The 6700 has built-in WiFi.

4) Price. PPC6700 with 2-year contract $350. Unlimited data is only $15 per month. Verizon is $300 with ??$50?? per month for data.

5) Form factor. Keyboard slides out to the side. The 6700 is a little thicker than the Treo, but it's shorter and narrower.

6) Review of the Treo 700 posted on TreoCentral. Yes, that review actually helped me decide against the 700.

7) Quality. Based solely on the 600. Don't get me wrong, I loved my 600. But that last defective unit was my 6th phone in the 2.5 years I had a 600.

Now for the bad
    1) Phone interface. I'm talking about before the call is placed (according to the review in call functionality is identical to the 6700). Palm got things "right" with the 600/650. It's a shame PPC is so far behind. At least Palm tweaked the initial interface.

2) Form Factor. Yes this is both a pro and con. Ever see a formfit case for a slider?

3) Feel. The Treo 650 feels more substantial than the 6700. Not saying the 6700 feels flimsy, just that the 650 feels better. I can only assume that the 700 feels the same.

A full review of the 6700 can be found on Mobile Burn

My daughter is still going strong on her Treo 600 (only her third replacement) and my Wife loves the 650; so I am still a fan of the Palm based Treos. But when it comes to PPC, I simply feel the PPC6700 is better than the Treo 700.
    You'll be back.
    I to was amazed by the 6700, only I had the XV from Verizon. Nice phone, but not as nice as the Treo. I had the 650, then switched to the 6700, and after a week I ordered my Treo 700.

To me it feels as if the 6700 is a PDA that can be used a as phone and the Treo is a phone that can also be used as a PDA. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
    Quote Originally Posted by rjnelson
    To me it feels as if the 6700 is a PDA that can be used a as phone and the Treo is a phone that can also be used as a PDA. Does that make sense to anyone but me?
    Nope, you're pretty much the only one.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...30&postcount=8
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Why do we give a flying F**k that you have a 6700 and don't like the Treo? I'm tired of all these 6700 fanboys coming on here and flaming the 700. For God's sake, it's TreoCentral not PPC6700Central, that's down the street!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    Why do we give a flying F**k that you have a 6700 and don't like the Treo? I'm tired of all these 6700 fanboys coming on here and flaming the 700. For God's sake, it's TreoCentral not PPC6700Central, that's down the street!
    Didn't the guy, who owned a Treo 600, post over 200 messages here?
    I don't mind seeing all the 6700 opinions. When I first saw them I thought I needed to go check it out if it was better than the 700. I did, and decided for me it wasn't. A lot of people come here trying to decide on what device to get. I like that I can expect to find candid "unfunded" information here.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Didn't the guy, who owned a Treo 600, post over 200 messages here?
    He posted 200 messages in the 700 forum?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Maybe I need to find a ppc6700 fanboy site and start pushing my opinion of the 700 there! Yeah, that's the ticket. Let me go hunting....
    As for the WiFi, over at Treonauts they're running a story about SD WiFi cards working perfectly on the 700w. Two cards tested, and battery life was decent with each one. As a Treo 650 owner constantly craving WiFi, this has me green with envy.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    What is so great that people want WiFi on these devices? Your limited to your coverage and you have to whip out a card everytime you want to go wireless or leave it in risking breaking it, plus you lose your memory. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    What is so great that people want WiFi on these devices? Your limited to your coverage and you have to whip out a card everytime you want to go wireless or leave it in risking breaking it, plus you lose your memory. Maybe someone can explain it to me.
    Now there's a reason to get virtually any WM device except a 700w -- maybe you do want to join that 6700 fanboy site, lol. I'd use WiFi in a second. Don't need to pay $50/month for EVDO and I have access all over the city with my Boingo account that I also use for my laptop when I have it. Also have the benefit of using it at home or anywhere in our office building. It's also the reason I won't be getting a Treo and will likely get a Loox if I really decide that form factor is so important. It's really too bad because I wanted to like and buy the 700w. That and the 32MB of RAM issue -- having a 650 and stomaching the RAM issue every day this was just too much too bear.
    I don't like the Treo because it doesn't have a DVD writer. That's just lame that a phone doesn't have a DVD writer. Sheesh, Palm, get a life. That and a 50 inch plasma screen.
    You might want to get used to it for two reasons:

1. Palm has crossed over to the 'other' side, so people are going to compare a WM treo against other WM phones.

2. People are more than welcome to compare how great the treo 700w is over the 6700 (I just dont see how great of an article that you could make but I am all ears).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You might want to get used to it for two reasons:

1. Palm has crossed over to the 'other' side, so people are going to compare a WM treo against other WM phones.

2. People are more than welcome to compare how great the treo 700w is over the 6700 (I just dont see how great of an article that you could make but I am all ears).
    I guess so. Damn, what's the world coming to? I did some searching last night and I couldn't find a site solely dedicated to 6700, so I guess they need somewhere to go.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was a Treo 650 owner, loved it, then got a Treo 700 HATED IT because of the memory issues, returned it and got a VX6700 and LOVE IT!

And while I am not a Treo owner any longer I still come here daily since the 700 and 6700 are almost the same thing, there is a lot of great advice here which can help both 700 and 6700 owners.

The great part about this site is it seems we are all learning Windows Mobile Together, and to me thats a good thing.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I guess so. Damn, what's the world coming to? I did some searching last night and I couldn't find a site solely dedicated to 6700, so I guess they need somewhere to go.
    I'm not sure what a site dedicated to a phone means -- that it's just so popular or that the owner of the site needs to get a life?

FYI, this site isn't dedicated to the 700w. In fact, most of this site is "dedicated" to a phone that bears little resemblance to the 700w under the hood. You will find the 6700 and 700w on sites dedicated to mobile phones.

I also find it very useful to hear other people's opinions so I can know what else is out there and what I might be missing should I decide to upgrade my phone or my colleagues.
    You will definitely be back. After using the TRE0600/650 with one hand for so long there is no way you will be happy about the VX6700. But you might force yourself to stick with it. Go to PPC6700

I fixed my memory problems by removing the active sync and the wireless sync. Unloading those two programs should all the difference in the world. Adding Today screens that are not made for the TREO700w makes a big difference in screen response.

But you can never send or make a quick note while driving or walking in a busy environment with a slide out keyboard. My wife was an avid T-Mobile SideKick I & II user, but to cut cost on text messaging because she txt me all day while at work, she ventured over to Verizon with me with a TREO650. She says that now she knows why I was so in love with both Treo600/650. She is still using Treo650 but she is using her PocketPC Dell Axim 624mhz X51 to interface better with her job system. But she is now thinking seriously about combining the 2 with 1 TREO700w. We went to Circuit City to purchase the 6700 because of the reviews of some but changed her mind because of the conveniences of a one handed device.

My Treo700w runs perfectly, I purchased the Ambicom Wireless Lan card from CompUSA for $69.95 and it works like a charm. My unlimited data charge is $30 not $44.95 that the TRE0650/VX6700 users pays plus with the PDA SMS 2000 Allowance for TREO700w (code 70246) is FREE!
    Last edited by mrjerome; 02/10/2006 at 10:07 AM.
    Sprint Kyocera QCP 6035 -> T-Mobile Motorola V600 -> T-Mobile PocketPC -> T-Mobile HP6315 -> T-Mobile BlackBerry 7100t -> T-Mobile Treo 600 -> Cingular Treo 650 -> Verizon Treo 650 -> Treo700w -> Treo 700wx/Treo700p -> BlackBerry 8830
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjerome
    You will definitely be back. After using the TRE0600/650 with one hand for so long there is no way you will be happy about the VX6700.

But you can never send or make a quick note while driving with a slide out keyboard.
    That is a pretty subjective thing to say so I will have to disagree.

Yes, one-handedness is great (have you used VC? I can dial any number in my contacts with one button push.). But the treo can only do so much...and not everyone is interested in only using one hand to drive.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ...I'd use WiFi in a second. Don't need to pay $50/month for EVDO and I have access all over the city with my Boingo account that I also use for my laptop when I have it. Also have the benefit of using it at home or anywhere in our office building...
    Good point about the data cost savings, I hadn't even thought of that.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast