Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjerome
    I fixed my memory problems by removing the active sync and the wireless sync. Unloading those two programs should all the difference in the world.
    How did you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Yes, one-handedness is great (have you used VC?
    I purchased it on my XV6600 and it does work nicely. It also nicely slows down your device, makes it unstable and makes your icons disappear. I gave up on it and won't use it on my 700w even though it is included on the device.

VC does not take the place of one-handed text messaging either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    It also nicely slows down your device, makes it unstable and makes your icons disappear.
    Isnt this entirely dependent on what you have loaded with it? I don't use a lot of other programs (i.e. I don't load to many today plugins) and it works fine.

That was kind of my point...I don't want to see anyone doing text msgs one-handed while driving.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I'm not sure what a site dedicated to a phone means -- that it's just so popular or that the owner of the site needs to get a life?

FYI, this site isn't dedicated to the 700w. In fact, most of this site is "dedicated" to a phone that bears little resemblance to the 700w under the hood. You will find the 6700 and 700w on sites dedicated to mobile phones.

I also find it very useful to hear other people's opinions so I can know what else is out there and what I might be missing should I decide to upgrade my phone or my colleagues.
    I don't know it's like going to a website for a Chevrolet Avalanche and posting why you don't like the Avalanche and you own a Hummer. Yes they are both SUV's in a sense and they have things in common like..um...they both run on gasonline. I'm not saying that the site is dedicated to the 700w. But it is TREOcentral, maybe if we are going to take on other phones, it's time to merge with PDAphones.com or similar or change the site name to PDAphoneCentral.com.

In just glancing at the other forums for the 650 and the 600, I don't see any topics (not that there are not some, but just glancing) on people gving up their 650 or 600 for another Palm OS phone.

Come to think of it, I don't even know why I give a hoot about this in the first place, I've got better things to ponder.

And then you see c**p like this:http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105429
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    I guess so. Damn, what's the world coming to? I did some searching last night and I couldn't find a site solely dedicated to 6700, so I guess they need somewhere to go.
    You didn't search very hard then. Try the 6700 forum at PDAPhoneHome - ~30,000 posts on the 6700 compared to the paltry ~8,000 posts about the 700w on this site. Heck - PDAPhoneHome has over 2000 Treo 700w posts itself. Those of us leading a less insular lifestyle like to read about all kinds of phones.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    You didn't search very hard then. Try the 6700 forum at PDAPhoneHome - ~30,000 posts on the 6700 compared to the paltry ~8,000 posts about the 700w on this site. Heck - PDAPhoneHome has over 2000 Treo 700w posts itself. Those of us leading a less insular lifestyle like to read about all kinds of phones.
    If you were to read closer, I stated I was looking for a site that was solelydedicated to the 6700. I didn't include PDAPhoneHome because it has such an eclectic selection of phones. I do frequent and post on that site as well as others thank you very much. I just get tired of reading about all the things a phone can't do. Like I stated, I come here to read up on Treo's. If I want to find out about other phones I go to other websites. Oh and nice use of the word insular by the way.
    Like I stated, I come here to read up on Treo's. If I want to find out about other phones I go to other websites.
    You do realize that you don't have to read those posts/threads right?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    FYI, this site isn't dedicated to the 700w. In fact, most of this site is "dedicated" to a phone that bears little resemblance to the 700w under the hood. You will find the 6700 and 700w on sites dedicated to mobile phones
    Slink, come on man, lets at least be fair. This is the Treo 700 forum on TreoCentral.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/25/2006 at 08:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I think the spirit in which it's done is really the key. If the OP had started an arrogant thread talking about how the Treo sucks and why the 6700 is so much better, then that's one thing. But he sounds like a longtime Palm guy who decided to try something else, then gave his honest reasons for doing so. Personally I have no problem with that at all.

In fact, as a current Treo owner who's trying to decide if it's worth it to wait for Sprint to come out with a new Treo (700w or p) or just go for another killer device like the 6700, it's nice to occasionally hear a little comparison with other similar devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    In fact, as a current Treo owner who's trying to decide if it's worth it to wait for Sprint to come out with a new Treo (700w or p) or just go for another killer device like the 6700, it's nice to occasionally hear a little comparison with other similar devices.
    Not if you're insular.
    If you were to read closer, I stated I was looking for a site that was solelydedicated to the 6700.
    You also stated "they [6700 owners] need somewhere to go." I pointed out where that somewhere was. As it turns out, they're light years ahead of this forum in understanding their phone (the 4 month head start didn't hurt either). The OP was a Palm user - regular to this forum, with some 6700 information to share with his clan. That's a good thing.

The banner at the top doesn't have to say "6700 Only" to be a worthwhile site for the 6700 crowd - just like this site didn't used to be Treo only - heck it didn't used to be Treo anything when it started.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjerome
    You will definitely be back. After using the TRE0600/650 with one hand for so long there is no way you will be happy about the VX6700. I fixed my memory problems by removing the active sync and the wireless sync. Unloading those two programs should all the difference in the world. Adding Today screens that are not made for the TREO700w makes a big difference in screen response. But you can never send or make a quick note while driving with a slide out keyboard.

Remove AS? Did you make a custom ROM? Also, what do you use to sync if you remove your sync progarms?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Slink, come on man, lets at least be fair. This is the Treo 700 forum on TreoCentral.
    But the post was from a long time Treo owner who felt like sharing his feelings about why he decided not to upgrade his phone to the 700w. It's not like this guy was totally unrelated and came here out of the blue to troll. I myself hear and feel his frustration with Palm and am glad that he's also voiced it instead of sweeping it under the rug.

We had the same issues with the 650 when Palm pulled the same shennigans and people were yelling about how only %0.00064 of users really needed that much RAM. How absurd. We all knew Palm should have made the right decision. So instead of Treo owners trying to smoke opium to forget the significant negatives and helping Palm with its marketing campaign as to why 32MB of RAM is more than enough and not including WiFi is good too, you guys should be calling them on it and saying it SUCKS but I still love the form factor. It's like putting the abusive girl/boyfriend in her/his place. Let Palm know that there isn't great consumer satisfaction and that it's customers (other than Perry) are actually willing to leave.

As another Treo owner, I salute his post and am glad he shared his opinion.
    I purchased it on my XV6600 and it does work nicely. It also nicely slows down your device, makes it unstable and makes your icons disappear. I gave up on it and won't use it on my 700w even though it is included on the device.

It isn't really fair to judge VC entirely based on it's performance on the XV6600. On the Treo 700w VC is integrated, which means that it probably went through testing on that device before being released. VC was never tested on the XV6600 because the software was released before the device was.

The Icons dissapearing on the 6600 is due to limited Virtual Memory addressing capability in the CE kernel. This is a limitation that all CE devices have, but some have this problem more acutely than others depending on how much DLL code the OEM ships with the device. When Treo was developed, this was taken into consideration, and steps were taken to make additional VM available when the device boots. The Treo may be low on physical RAM, but it's VM pressure is better than many devices.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You do realize that you don't have to read those posts/threads right?
    Yes I do realize that but how many posts have you run across where the topic is misleading or has nothing to do with the post, and you find yourself reading it?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Not if you're insular.

You also stated "they [6700 owners] need somewhere to go." I pointed out where that somewhere was. As it turns out, they're light years ahead of this forum in understanding their phone (the 4 month head start didn't hurt either). The OP was a Palm user - regular to this forum, with some 6700 information to share with his clan. That's a good thing.

The banner at the top doesn't have to say "6700 Only" to be a worthwhile site for the 6700 crowd - just like this site didn't used to be Treo only - heck it didn't used to be Treo anything when it started.
    No it used to be visorcentral which migrated to Treocentral just like the Treo did.

This forum is called Treo 700w: Hardware discussion of the new Treo.

I guess if you want to be technical about it, then this post should be under the Other Handhelds forum as well as any other posts relating to "Other Handhelds" and comparisons. The sub heading on that forum states: Compare the Treo with other smartphones (Palm OS, PocketPC, Symbian, Blackberry, etc.) Am I not correct on this?

Then If I wanted to see comparisons, I would just pop down to that forum, aptly titled "Other Handhelds" and browse through there. That way I can still remain my insular little self unless I feel like swimming in the big ocean.

just like this site didn't used to be Treo only - heck it didn't used to be Treo anything when it started.
    TreoCentral didn't used to be Treo anything when it started? What was it? Ballheaded bowlers from Boston?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    It's funny I ran across this the other day and it was called visorcentral.com. People still post in there too!Visorcentral
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Why do we give a flying F**k that you have a 6700 and don't like the Treo? I'm tired of all these 6700 fanboys coming on here and flaming the 700. For God's sake, it's TreoCentral not PPC6700Central, that's down the street!
    I've been researching the various options of devises out there all morning. It's insanely useful when a user of one device switches and points out pros and cons of either. It is FAR more useful to read an objective opinion with reasoning. "Get lost" serves zero purpose!

Comments like yours are a childish waste of time. Sadly every forum has a few like you. It's just a portable devise dude.... The Motorola Startac was super cool way back when... and is now worthless.... You know products do change over a little time right?

Try and grow up! [Or is your dad tougher then my dad? ]
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    TreoCentral didn't used to be Treo anything when it started? What was it? Ballheaded bowlers from Boston?
    It's funny I ran across this the other day and it was called visorcentral.com. People still post in there too!Visorcentral
    Research is your friend. Nuflat for the win.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster
    dgoodisi sends the following message to the forum:

Damn New Jurzzz, We gonna miss you... oh yeah, this is BBS... We miss you man, you're like family, ya heard, nah mean... Our ladies n chicks we gon miss you jurzzz... fa real sho nuff...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast