Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One thing that I do alot of is to watch videos on my 650 using TCPMP. I do this quite often while sitting in a restaurant eating lunch. I know how to do this using the media player under Windows Mobile, but I'm just wondering how good the quality of the image is with the lower resolution on the 650. Has anyone else done this and if so how good is the image?
    I was wondering the same. i also use tcpmp and was wondernig how the W would support video functions. anybody out there got their 700 playing videos?
    Well, I've watched wmv files and they look pretty good. As long as you encode the movies properly I'd think they would play alright. I think you'll have to use head phones to hear enough.
    My 700w plays the same videos I encoded from my XV6600. The wide-screen format looked betteron the XV6600, however. Both are better than the tiny screens on the airplanes.
    I've been watching AVI files that I originally encoded for my 650 on the 700w and I have to say I am impressed.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbr2
    I've been watching AVI files that I originally encoded for my 650 on the 700w and I have to say I am impressed.
    What program do you use to watch AVI? Can you use Windows Media Player? I have a number of avi's I watch on my 650 that would be nice to be able to watch on a 700w (if/when I get one depending upon if/when Sprint makes it available).
    Don't you people have TVs?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    Don't you people have TVs?
    Sure, but it's kind of hard to take a 40" TV and stick it into your pocket and then pull it out to watch a movie while eating lunch at your local McDonalds or while sitting on an airplane (Southwest has no in flight movies).
    I have not see good quality when viewing videos. The video cant keep up with the sound. What special encoding are you all referring to? If it is a .wmv file, shouldnt it play ok? I have noticed that if you drag and drop certain video files to your card, they usually dont work but if you install them using the installer then they do at least play, just not very good.

I cant imagine watching anything of great substance however on this little thing. I usually just play around with maybe a music video or some of the videos I produce myself.

What IS everyone watching here anyway?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    Sure, but it's kind of hard to take a 40" TV and stick it into your pocket and then pull it out to watch a movie while eating lunch at your local McDonalds or while sitting on an airplane (Southwest has no in flight movies).
    If you take a high data rate video and try to play it on your PPC, you will get a lot of missed frames and unsynched sound. You can re-encode videos using a lot of products. Free ones include Auto Gordian Knot (for AVI / DiVX files) and the Windows Movie Maker for WMV files (from Microsoft).

Wolfpackfan - to watch AVIs, go download The Core Pocket media Player (TCPMP) at http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/about - it's widely viewed as the best multi-codec, PPC viewer available. The price is right too.
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfpackFan
    What program do you use to watch AVI? Can you use Windows Media Player? I have a number of avi's I watch on my 650 that would be nice to be able to watch on a 700w (if/when I get one depending upon if/when Sprint makes it available).
    I use The Core Pocket Media Player (TCPMP) for watching AVI's. It also helps that I have my phone overclocked to 520 MHz using XCPUScalar... it helps to keep the audio and video in sync.
    I've used Windows Media Player, GSPlayer, or TCPMP (previously Betaplayer) for my airport/plane/jury room viewing. So far I've watched "March of the Penguins, Barbershop, Four Brothers, Crash, & 28 Days Later. All of these are better than the airplane offerings.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Question for you folk who watch movies on your Treo 700w. How do you load the movies on your SD cards.

I have a 2.0GB Sandisk SD card and attempted to load a 700 MB movie on the card through activesync and it seemed to take forever...so long in fact that I canceled the process. Is this normal?

In an alternative I tried to load the file on the card using a usb 2.0 card reader but when I tried to open the avi file on the card in the phone it didn't even see the folder I had placed the file in.

Thanks for any info as to the process.
    AS is too slow so I use a card reader. You must have had a formatting problem on your card.
    Another question, where do you get your movies?
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    I have not see good quality when viewing videos. The video cant keep up with the sound. What special encoding are you all referring to? If it is a .wmv file, shouldnt it play ok? I have noticed that if you drag and drop certain video files to your card, they usually dont work but if you install them using the installer then they do at least play, just not very good.
    As mentioned, you have to convert movies down to a smaller format. Also, Windows Media Player will not play like Divx type files but a free app called TCPMP will. I took a couple of TV shows recorded in full screen mpg files and used VirtualDub to rip them down to 320x240 XVID and they play great and smooth on TCPMP. Overclocking slightly using XCPUSCALAR makes them perfectly smooth. (They're acceptably smooth without over clocking, there's just an occassional jerk, but the sound is perfectly synced.) And actually watching shows on this thing is satisfying, if that's all you have access to.
    Any free programs to convert movies or rip them from a dvd to watchable format on the treo?
    Hi,

I haven't tried watching movies on my Treo yet, but I have watched them on my iPAQ which has a slower processor.
    I use a Mac to RIP and encode.
    I can get a full length DVD down to about 350MB with very good quality.
    I load them onto the card via a reader.

Plenty of free software out there to do the job. The genie haslong since been out of the bottle and they can forget about putting it back in. I only RIP what I own to view it on my PDA.

Go to http://www.videohelp.com/tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    Any free programs to convert movies or rip them from a dvd to watchable format on the treo?
    DVDShrink + DVDDecrypter + AutoGk
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head
    I can get a full length DVD down to about 350MB with very good quality.
    You can get down to around 250 if you convert to the screen size of the Treo. Seems like you could even get smaller than that since people convert full screen movies to around 700mb.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast