Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use Pocket DVD Studio to rip my DVD's to AVI files. The greatest advantage here is that I can set the resolution to be 240x240, so its optimized for my screen and doesn't waste any storage.
    does the installed wm player play avi files?
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    does the installed wm player play avi files?
    not if they're compressed, like with divx. And if their not compressed, they will be huge in comparison. The free TCPMP player does, though.
    why would msft put a player on a phone that cannot play compressed files???
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    Another question, where do you get your movies?
    I purchase DVDs and rip them.
    Quote Originally Posted by callinectes
    why would msft put a player on a phone that cannot play compressed files???
    Well, wmv is compressed, and that's what MicroSoft wants you to use. I don't know if you can install codecs on Windows Mobile, like you can on Windows Immobile, but if you can, then that would get Windows Media Player to play them.
    Quote Originally Posted by dimented
    Another question, where do you get your movies?
    Like Beryl, I rip and convert DVDs. I also capture TV onto a computer using Snapstream's Beyond TV DVR (Digital Video Recorder) software. It has a built in feature that automatically saves my recordings in high resolution (for the TV screen) and lower, QVGA resolution WMV files that are playable by either WMP or TCPMP (my player of choice).
    I used fairusewizard to rip dvds and and then play them using tcpmp on my 650. wiith a gig card i have 2 full length james bond movies, (gold finger and thunderball) bourne id. snatch, and 2 episodes of the family guy on there right now. i have no trouble with sound and video staying in sync. i was just wondering how the 700w handles it. is there a way to compress something to a small enough format that it is usable and still play on the 700 using WMP?
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbr2
    I use Pocket DVD Studio to rip my DVD's to AVI files. The greatest advantage here is that I can set the resolution to be 240x240, so its optimized for my screen and doesn't waste any storage.
    WOW! I just tried this software's demo which limits the video to the first 5 minutes. It was able to rip directly from a purchased DVD (did not have to rip it to my HD first) and the quality of the video & audio was excellent.

http://www.pqdvd.com/watch_dvd_on_pocket_pc.html

Plus, it will convert my Tivo2Go shows which required some other $80 software to do the same thing.

I'm definitely going to spend the $40 on this one. Thanks for the tip!!
    Try this as well:

http://www.pocket-dvd-wizard.com/

I use it, it's cheaper and supports PSP and iPOD without buying another program.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I watch more video on my 700 than I do on my TV... My GF always wants to watch "Project Runway" or some other lame crap... Which allows for me to sit next to her with my 700 and watch Dolph Lundgren chop people's heads off in low budget 80's action movies.
    Great suggestion re: Pocket DVD Studio

I may need to do a little more tweaking on some of the settings - but very pleased with the first TiVo to Go recording I've done for my Treo using Pocket DVD Studio.
    Has anyone compared the video quality of the 700w vs. the 650? I'm curious about how the quality compares
  15.    #35  
    I would like to know this also. I realize the screen is 240x240 vs. 320x320, but what does that do to the image of videos playing. I am interested in the 700w whenever Sprint releases it but not if the video quality is reduced significantly. I realize there will be some reduction in quality, but how much?
    TCPMP works great! I'm watching Seinfeld on my 700w right now withTCPMP because the videos are avi. Its great s/w. It lets me choose the video screen ratio. I really enjoy 16x9 ratio.

I'm comtemplating on buying the Pocket DVD Wizard software. Now, I don't really have to think about getting a monitor for my car. I just sit the 700w in hits car holder, plug in my the mini headphone jack and 3.5 adapter into the cd/tape adapter I previously used for my iPod. Now, I have surround sound coming from 700w!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12