Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am on my third Treo 700w in two weeks. One problem after another, software/hardware has plagued this device since I made the world class error of purchasing it. And if one really wants to push the envelope of human ignorance, spend some time and I mean SPEND SOME TIME on the phone with the support staff at Palm or Verizon wireless data support discussing issue resolution on the 700w.

Examples: Device will sync bluetooth but not w/ USB cable; device will sync everything BUT contacts and not allow contacts to be selected in ActiveSync setup (either on the device of the PC); device refuses to accept correct time zone setting; on/off, answer soft button, 5 way navigation buttons fail; USB phone/cable connection clicks in and out erratically while pluged in.

A serious design flaw dictates that every application started continues to run in the background until the device crawls to halt. Operator must launch task manager and manually close apps each time they are used to avoid this condition. Palm says this is acceptable because it is unavoidable.

It seems very clear to me this device was rushed to market long before it had been field tested or the product manager has serious lucidity problems.

To top matters off the friendly folks at the Verizon store snarl at you when you keep bringing the device back because it doesn't function and neither companies support people can get it working. (And humorously, if you call the Palm tech support number as instructed by Verizon after they cannot help you the auto-attendant says Palm only wants to hear about out of warrantee issues 866-697-7256).

Total time committed to this disaster to date: 29 hours. We never stop working for you.......
    Take it from one who has my own trials with WM5. The programs running in the background are normal for WM. This is how WM allows multi-tasking. As some have said, on the 700w you can hold down the OK button then close them(although some claim it quit working) instead of using the task manager.

Others have had the syncing problem too. But I don't have any experience with that, so I can't help there.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pleighto
    I am on my third Treo 700w in two weeks. One problem after another, software/hardware has plagued this device since I made the world class error of purchasing it. And if one really wants to push the envelope of human ignorance, spend some time and I mean SPEND SOME TIME on the phone with the support staff at Palm or Verizon wireless data support discussing issue resolution on the 700w.
    Unfortunately and especially for converged devices like the 700 this is true. These devices are too complicated and the early versions are too glitch prone for the average support person to deal with. The best support you can hope for is from forums like this and Howard Forums and TreoBits and pdaPhoneHome.

Examples: Device will sync bluetooth but not w/ USB cable; device will sync everything BUT contacts and not allow contacts to be selected in ActiveSync setup (either on the device of the PC); device refuses to accept correct time zone setting; on/off, answer soft button, 5 way navigation buttons fail; USB phone/cable connection clicks in and out erratically while pluged in.
    ActiveSync is crap, no getting around that but this sounds more like hardware and cable problems. I hope that you have tried other cables and other USB ports on your PC and that you are trying to test the sync now without installing any other apps on the device. I would also try a hard reset, deleting the Mobile Device in ActiveSync on the PC, entering a new device name on the device and then trying to sync.

A serious design flaw dictates that every application started continues to run in the background until the device crawls to halt. Operator must launch task manager and manually close apps each time they are used to avoid this condition. Palm says this is acceptable because it is unavoidable.
    This is part of the designed flexibility of the WM OS - the ability to multitask like your PC. The real design flaw is that Palm did not install enough RAM to properly support this. There are available third party task managers that allow the OK button to completely close an app.

It seems very clear to me this device was rushed to market long before it had been field tested or the product manager has serious lucidity problems.
    This is also unfortunate but true. When I pick up a new device and find a problem after only a short period of use, I always wonder did the developer(s) bother to test it. I think that the answer is that the marketing folks are always pushing the developers to release hw and sw that is not completely ready or tested. So there is always compromise and the $$ always wins.

I hope that you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction. These devices are seldom trouble free out of the box and it does take time to learn all of their features and also to develop a set of compatible apps. In the case of the 700 this is made even harder by the square screen and WM5. Only a small number of apps have been re-designed for WM5 and a lesser number for the square screen.

For me with the exception of very slow syncs and the lack of sufficient RAM, I have not experienced any of your problems and I am very happy with my 700. I think it is by far the best PPC for non-stylus use yet.

Frank
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Take it from one who has my own trials with WM5. The programs running in the background are normal for WM. This is how WM allows multi-tasking. As some have said, on the 700w you can hold down the OK button then close them(although some claim it quit working) instead of using the task manager.

Others have had the syncing problem too. But I don't have any experience with that, so I can't help there.
    Yes the OK button closes the window but not the app. It keeps running. And somewhere in the area of 4-5 times a day the back needs to be taken off and the reset button pushed because there isn't enough elbow room left to even open task manager.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Holding down the OK button will bring up the built-in task manager and you can then activate or completely close any running app.

To set your time zone and have it remain you must go to Settings>Clocks & Alarms>More and remove the check marks for Enable local network time and Use network time zone then go to Time and sent the time zone. Press OK and your time zone setting should remain. Then you can go back in and re-check the Enable local network time. I would always leave the Use network time zone un-checked because if you then travel to another time zone your appointment times in your calendar may get changed. Another WM5 stupid thing IMHO - if I schedule a meeting in NY and fly there from NM why should the time get automatically changed by two hours?

Frank
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcgirt
    Holding down the OK button will bring up the built-in task manager and you can then activate or completely close any running app.

To set your time zone and have it remain you must go to Settings>Clocks & Alarms>More and remove the check marks for Enable local network time and Use network time zone then go to Time and sent the time zone. Press OK and your time zone setting should remain. Then you can go back in and re-check the Enable local network time. I would always leave the Use network time zone un-checked because if you then travel to another time zone your appointment times in your calendar may get changed. Another WM5 stupid thing IMHO - if I schedule a meeting in NY and fly there from NM why should the time get automatically changed by two hours?

Frank
    This a feature to me. When traveling on business, I want my appointments to be relevant to the time zone I am located in. It doesn't make sense for me to have my schedule on a different time zone. Just my opinion.

Brian
    I'm returning my 700 tomorrow. While I ultimately agree that it isn't ready for prime time, I had a more mixed reaction. If anyone cares (and I don't know why they would), I put a more detailed reaction here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=50

In any event, one interesting thing I discovered was that one of my USB sync cables from the 650 would NOT work on the 700, even though they claim the accessories are interchangeable. After some tinkering, I realized that the 650 cable only connects with the Treo when the button is pressed. If I pressed and held the button, the computer recognized the 700 and began the active sync. As soon as a released the button, it was as if i had unplugged the Treo. In contrast, the 700 cable is always on to allow active sync. I don't know if the 650 cable was an aftermarket one (I did buy an extra from Palm) or one that came with the 650. If you are using a cable you got with the 650, try the one you got with the 700. Even if you're using the 700 cable, I would try pressing and holding the button to see if it works. It's not an acceptable solution, but just something to note.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts

To top matters off the friendly folks at the Verizon store snarl at you when you keep bringing the device back because it doesn't function and neither companies support people can get it working. (And humorously, if you call the Palm tech support number as instructed by Verizon after they cannot help you the auto-attendant says Palm only wants to hear about out of warrantee issues 866-697-7256).

Total time committed to this disaster to date: 29 hours. We never stop working for you.......
    How many forums have you posted this on? You posted it on mytreo.net also. I bet if I look at Howard's forums it's probably there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo

just out of curiousity, do you own a Treo 700?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnoble
    I'm returning my 700 tomorrow. While I ultimately agree that it isn't ready for prime time, I had a more mixed reaction. If anyone cares (and I don't know why they would), I put a more detailed reaction here: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=50

In any event, one interesting thing I discovered was that one of my USB sync cables from the 650 would NOT work on the 700, even though they claim the accessories are interchangeable. After some tinkering, I realized that the 650 cable only connects with the Treo when the button is pressed. If I pressed and held the button, the computer recognized the 700 and began the active sync. As soon as a released the button, it was as if i had unplugged the Treo. In contrast, the 700 cable is always on to allow active sync. I don't know if the 650 cable was an aftermarket one (I did buy an extra from Palm) or one that came with the 650. If you are using a cable you got with the 650, try the one you got with the 700. Even if you're using the 700 cable, I would try pressing and holding the button to see if it works. It's not an acceptable solution, but just something to note.
    sounds like the accessories aren't interchangeable. try using those cables that came with the device. seriously, may help!
    The Treo 650 cables I have work fine with my 700.

The solution to the supposed problem of background programs is Magic Button http://www.trancreative.com/mb.aspx. It's free, small and easy to use.

My 2 cents on the 32MB memory thing. Is anyone else's Treo 700 simply shutting down the least used program when it needs more memory to run something else? Mine does, and I've yet to get a memory error. Once I was able to -
    • Hit web pages with IE and Opera simultaneously
    • Watch a movie on Media Player from an SD card
    • Open a word doc, copy text from it and paste it into a text message

I figured it had enough memory for me.

If you used to POS, then WinMo is a big change. Just make sure you understand those differences before you give up or fly off the handle.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    I hope you are right about the memory management because that is exactly what it should do - close the least used program(S) to free memory. I'll have to check mine as I have never gotton the out of memory message either.

Frank
    It does. When you install Magic Button, a benefit is that you get icons along the top of the screen to represent what you have open. You see some of them disappear as you open more apps later on. This can be confirmed by holding down the OK button to see what's running at the moment you've opened enough to make other apps shut down. If you know you opened it before, and it's not open now, WinMo closed it for you.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Yes the OK button closes the window but not the app. It keeps running. And somewhere in the area of 4-5 times a day the back needs to be taken off and the reset button pushed because there isn't enough elbow room left to even open task manager.
    You haven't taken the time to learn how to use the ok button. The ok button can be used to stop the app, not just close the window. If you hold the ok button down the memory applet will come up. Go to the running programs tab and shut down the apps.

If you haven't figured this out after two weeks with the phone and constantly calling tech support, maybe you shouldn't own the phone.
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    This is a good discussion guys as I am in the process of thinking about returning the 700 and getting the 650. I am a very experienced user of both Palm OS and Win Mobile. And I am weighing the pro's and cons. I have experienced the active sync problems and called tech support with no help. Now I just bt sync and that is fine. I love the 700 but I am wondering if i should go back to the 650 and wait for the 700p to come out for verizon.

What is your opinion? What would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    You haven't taken the time to learn how to use the ok button. The ok button can be used to stop the app, not just close the window. If you hold the ok button down the memory applet will come up. Go to the running programs tab and shut down the apps.
    Here's how I've configured the OK button to automatically close apps for me:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105158
    it is always wise to never buy the first generation of anything. always give it a few months after initial introduction for them to get the bugs worked out through updates. the 650 was no cherry when it first came out either.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    Here's how I've configured the OK button to automatically close apps for me:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=105158
    I am hesitant to put in a "Close all" solution since I am concerned about closing wireless sync. Hopefully we'll get direct push sometime soon and I won't have to worry about that anymore.

However, your solutions look like a good idea for people who don't use wireless sync.
    I also had problems getting Activesync to work with via USB cable on my Treo 700W. I kept calling Verizon who sent me to Palm. Finally, after I exchanged my 3rd phone, Activesync and USB works great. Verizon is not too happy when you tell them that Palm suggested that I get another, then another, then another phone. I firmally believe that it is not the phone. It is a bug in the OS that is getting loaded by Verizon. I think that there are different firmware loads being applied. Sorry to hear that you decided to give up on the 700W, however, it was driving me buggy as well so I fully understand.
    This is the price we pay for living on the "cutting edge" of technology. I have been through some frustrating moments with my 700 as well, but in the end my problems were mostly resolved. I even returned my phone twice, both times to eventually find out that the problems were not with the Treo itself.

I guess my point is, if the Treo does not fit your needs or expectations, then nobody will blame you for taking it back. To me personally, the benefits of the 700 far out-weigh the negatives. There will never be a perfect phone/pda/do-eveything-without-fail device, so I am going to enjoy what I have until it no longer serves my needs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast