1.    #1  
    There's been some discussion about task closing apps. I find that SPB has always slowed down my PDA, and from the reports I've read on these forums, I'm not even going to bother trying it on my 700w. I agree that HandyMenu and similar apps have a small memory input, and allow the user to do a quick "close all", but they don't allow easy one-handed use.

Here's what I do. It uses the lease amount of memory of any of the solutions I've seen mentioned, and it's purely one-handed.

I use a tiny freeware app called Close-All. I've attached it here, since it's free. I install Close-All in the Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory of the 700, since that is where all the other programs are stored, and since that's a directory that wm5 can "see" when re-assigning buttons.

I then go to Start\Settings\Buttons, and under "1. Select A Button", I scroll down in the window to the "Opt + OK" button, and under "2. Assign a Button" I scroll to Close All and select hit. Hit OK, and now when you press and hold the OK button, instead of popping up the memory applet to the runnnig Programs tab (where you then have to tap on the screen to execute the "Close all" function), instead you execute the newly assigned Close All app, which requires no further button presses, no confirmation dialog boxes, nothing. It just closes all running apps and defaults you back to the Today screen. Perfect.

If for some reason you still want to be able to execute the memory applet (say for example you only want to selectively close one or two of the running apps), then I've written a little control panel applet that, when executed, will open the memory applet with the running Programs tab open. I call the applet "Running Programs". Clever, eh? I've attached that app also. I install that app also in the Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory. That way I still retain one-handed operation, since I can execute Running Programs by pressing Start - Programs - "R" (to navigate to the Running Programs applet), and then the center button on the 5 way.

Notice that the apps below are tiny in size. I love this solution since it gives me the functionality I personally really want from a task switching app, without any memory bloat. See what you think.

NOTE: In order to be able to upload these apps, I gave them a .txt extension. You will need to change the app names to:
    CloseAll.exe
    Running Programs.LNK (ie, "link", since this is a shorcut applet)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Interesting indeed.. where did you originally get the CloseAll application please?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    This is pretty fricking awesome. I'm mad there aren't more folks in this thread enjoying it, I've bookmarked it though.
    as per the Post review holding the ok button down shuts down all apps...whats wrong with that? hows this better?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by athreya
    as per the Post review holding the ok button down shuts down all apps...whats wrong with that? hows this better?
    Do you own a 700? Because holding down the OK button actually just calls up the memory applet...from there, you then have to tap the "close all" button. Then you have to close the memory applet. Lot's of button presses to do this, esp since you have to do it often on the 700 because of the chincy ram.

My method allows you to hold the OK button and simply close all the apps. That's it, no more button presses...in fact, no app opens, and no app needs to be closed after it runs. All the apps just close while you're holding the OK button, and you default back into the Today screen. Very cool.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by buckZor
    Interesting indeed.. where did you originally get the CloseAll application please?
    I got it here:

http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities...closeall.shtml

It's freeware. Spread the word like a virus, dude.
    Thanks bud, this is great! Did you have this on pdaphonehome.com? Thats another great site, which Im sure you're familiar with....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiselineguy
    Thanks bud, this is great! Did you have this on pdaphonehome.com? Thats another great site, which Im sure you're familiar with....
    Yeah, I guess I should put a link there. Gotta spread the word...
    Works great... thanks for the tip. It even ignored ActiveSync while connected via USB... the stock app barks that it can't end that task. It's quick and painless... I love it.
    Palm Treo 700w, Motorola Q
    Fully Converged, Cell Phone Videos
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    thegasguru-
    I haven't installed this yet, but had a question-

Any suggestions on another button to use instead of hold-OK (and the left side button - being used) to activate the closeall app?

I actually use the Hold-OK function a lot to selectively close certain apps and not all apps frequently...
    thx
    Thanks for doing the leg work on this! I have been using it now for a while and it works wonderfully. You da man.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    thegasguru-
    I haven't installed this yet, but had a question-

Any suggestions on another button to use instead of hold-OK (and the left side button - being used) to activate the closeall app?

I actually use the Hold-OK function a lot to selectively close certain apps and not all apps frequently...
    thx
    Well, you could put the "Running Apps" applet into your Start folder. See the first post for a copy of that applet. When you tap on this applet on your Treo, it takes you to the Memory Setting with the Running Apps tab opened, just like the default Treo "OK" button did.

That's the way I have my Treo set up. If I hold the OK button, it closes all apps - no annoying confirmation dialog boxes or anything. If I want to selectively close just a couple of apps, then I run the "Running Programs" app, and take care of bidness from there.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by DataByte
    You da man.
    No, YOU da man!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    No, YOU da man!
    No, YOU da man!