Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Seems that every other time I synch my device I get one of the following errors:

1. Something "needs attention"
    2. There were "synchronization errors"
    3. I get prompted to send a report to MS about my synch problems
    4. ActiveSync is not responding on my PC
    5. What I see on my Treo ('Favorites' mainly) does not match up with what I see in ActiveSync.

It seems to take FOR-EV-ER to synch sometimes.

I also can't stand that it is constantly looking for changes and synching throughout the day when it ought to synch only when I tell it to.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Are you using AS 4.1? Is your PC XP? If so, are you sure you have the firewall turned off? Are you syncing with USB? In 4 months with WM5 devices with that setup, I have never had a problem, including the Treo 700w.
  3.    #3  
    4.1, build 4841
    Bluetooth synch
    My 700w w/AS 4.1 is far more problematic than my XV6600 w/ AS 3.8. It is slower and tends to experience the problems Joey mentions. Soft reseting prior to any AS session improves the performance and results in fewer AS errors.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I will agree that this newest version of Activesync is about the worst I've used. Very difficult to set up for something that should be a no-brainer and just work.

I'm not a novice to this, either. I've been using PPC's since their inception. This is the worst build I've seen. I've had to hard reset my 700w twice in order to get connected through USB; I've never had any issues in past builds, to be honest.

At least one of my connection issues came up after setting up a 3rd party Exchange Server on my device; the other, I have no clue what happened. It just wouldn't establish a connection.

Activesync 4.1 does stink...love the device and its OS, though.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    4.1, build 4841
    Bluetooth synch
    Try with USB and see if you still have problems.
    I have to agree with BNelson... been developing or using numerous devices on MS Mobile / PPC and Palm OS since inception and never this much issue, so widespread and to NOT have Microsoft or Palm address...

I have confirmed from Palm, Verizon, and Microsoft that they are getting "hammered" with tech support calls & device returns related to a variety of issues involving ActiveSync (not so much the device per se, but the average user is not a "power user" able to troubleshoot or overcome even the most basic complexities)... it's really hurting the experience of the consumer customer and there is some displaced understanding of the cause - i.e. AS vs the 700w device.

At a minimum I think there should have been some formal communication from Verizon, Palm, or MS at this point... As I understand it, there is some type of fix that Palm is supposed to release but that is hearsay from Palm Tech support person I spoke with last week... again nothing formal... But at least make the consumer aware that a fix is in the works... Unfortunately not the norm anymore for Palm or MS... usually no formal acknowledgement until a fix is known. I was quite surprised to hear from the advanced level Palm Tech support that they are just telling people to return their devices as no fix is currently available... I pushed a little on this one and that's how I got to the "We are getting hammered and the developers are trying to create a fix... no ETA."

I'm trusting that there wil be a fix and taking a chance - exchanged device coming my way next week... I just cannot imagine that they would let this one ride - might possibly say nothing and just release new AS version. I personally know of 10 individual device returns among 6 business colleagues that purchased the 700w the 1st day it came out. In addition, one of the companies I am providing consulting for (not related to mobile devices) had one of their IS support persons call me because they had just deployed around 30 of the Treo 700ws and were starting to get user reports of AS failure. My CIO colleague referred his subordinate after hearing about my experience - thread moved to under WM Synchronization (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=103806 )... Their customers are all executive management folks that have been anxiously waiting for this device release and migrating away from their Cingular BlackBerries. They are not the types to logically conclude it is an AS issue and are more likely to just remember how bad Verizon and Palm are... and they want a fix now... not likely to wait 30 or 60 days.... alas I fear it may be longer for that fix given the type of formal acknowlegement / fix response we have seen so far.... what a shame for Verizon and Palm.

I'm glad there are so many individual type users having a good experience with the Treo 700 despite AS woes. It seems that for those of us using corporate networks or at least more complicated networks we will struggle a little while longer with the USB AS.
    AS 4.0 and 4.1(which was supposed to be a fix for 4.0 ) has been causing problems on all WM5 devices from what I've been reading.

I only used my AS to load software. I'm not even sure the actual syncs worked correctly, my "Favorites" won't show up. And mine does keep syncing for no reason too. Although that could just be a new feature of AS.

But other than that, I didn't have any serious problems. I turned off my firewall and anti-virus to be safe(but I had to get offline obviously). I read posts on other forums that said those might be interferring with AS. Try that and see if it works for the USB connections. I didn't try BT, so I can't say if it will work or not for that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    After getting the phone yesterday at 4pm and staying up until 4 am trying to get it going, I am giving up. I really started to like WM 5, but Activesync problems, along with the weak e-mail retrieval, killed the beast. Maybe next time they will get it right. Back to my trusty 650.
    As far as my experience goes and that of the people that I have personally worked with (they found me)... turning off firewalls and anti-virus programs does not solve the issue we are having. It may be some sort of self-selection going on related to corporate IT and the specific problem we are having... it is specific to USB connectivity as BT and IR work just fine.

I am convinced this is not a device issue and is an AS issue... I could be wrong!! Gonna dust off some of my iPaq demo equipment and test this further since I have a presentation in about 12 days on mobile devices and application use in a specific industry... I'll post any developments... but I will figure out a way to showcase the 700w!!! Or <head hanging, tone down shifting>... downgrade AS and use my "old" demo devices that are only 3 - 8 months old...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Yes... Desktop Activesync has issues from what ive heard from many WM5 users....

I have never use it so I cant feel your pain....

Exchange Activesync works beautifully...people are amazed when i demo it especially after dealing with Desktop Activesync...
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    After first few days of flawless Desktop Activesync use, my 700w is also now hanging and syncing reaaaallly slowly "looking for changes", etc. etc.

Question- if I setup a Wireless Activesync, can this essentially replace Desktop Activesync (other than installing new programs etc) to sync with my Outlook calendar, Notes, Contacts and Files?
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    wow. i hope a fix for desktop activesync comes out soon.
    i was so fed up I did a Hard reset to smooth things out again...
    worked well for first few syncs, then as I reinstalled programs, activesync started to slow to a crawl once again, and erratically give me errors for no reason.
    Last night I received my 3rd Treo 700w (2nd replacement)... After installing the software over my existing installation, I plugged (USB) this new device in not expecting it to work... <read my previous posts regarding this saga>... Lo and Behold the sync worked flawlessly!! And continued to work at least 10 more connect/disconnect cycles... Mind you I returned all my network, firewall, and port tweaks back to baseline... so this is equivalent to the condition before the 700w was even released, except for having AS4.1 on board. I even checked for USB sync today.. still worked!!

I am really scratching my head on this one.. my only thought is that maybe this could be a device issue and many of us having been on a wild goose chase... I will wait a few more days - since the first time it worked fine for 2 days and then suddenly stopped with no changes to device or the laptop I was primarily using. I tried it on 2 other XP machines with same USB issues, but worked on Win 2000.

hmmm...
    Last edited by cognetic; 01/25/2006 at 07:15 AM.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Cognetic-
    did you AVOID tapping on the Wireless Activesync icon pre-installed on your 700w this time?
    After my hard reset , I didn't activate Wireless Activesync...and it (so far) has been syncing fine with the Desktop.... fingers crossed
    Never used it, never will... so tapping on it has not been an issue. Will eventually use Exchange Server, but not until assured of stability. My needs are more corporate enterprise related and the Wireless Activesync feature through Verizon isn't something I have a use for.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJoe
    Seems that every other time I synch my device I get one of the following errors:

1. Something "needs attention"
    2. There were "synchronization errors"
    3. I get prompted to send a report to MS about my synch problems
    4. ActiveSync is not responding on my PC
    5. What I see on my Treo ('Favorites' mainly) does not match up with what I see in ActiveSync.

It seems to take FOR-EV-ER to synch sometimes.
    Me too. I have Windows XP, AS 4.1, and I get all of these error messages. Plus sometimes AS turns my treo off and I can't turn it back on again without a soft reset. Crazy that they shipped it in this state.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex

Exchange Activesync works beautifully...people are amazed when i demo it especially after dealing with Desktop Activesync...
    I too have had no problems with Exchange Activesync (when EVDO is working) but I have a question about how it is supposed to work.

I read in my manual somewhere that when I was connected to my desktop with a live Internet connection that Exchange ActiveSync would use my desktop connection to sync with Exchange Server. Instead I always get a message that my phone cannot connect with Exchange and therefore I cannot sync my email, calendar etc. Attention Required! Is there a setting I should change or is this just something I have to get used to and basically never connect to my desktop unless I want to trasnfer files.?

Thanks
    OK... So I get me new Treo replacement 2 days ago, install the software over previous version of AS4.1 and voila all works <as noted just a few posts ago>... Everything worked fine for nearly 2 days... then DOING! Today the USB sync suddenly stopped working... no rhyme or reason... it worked once this morning then on the next sync... connected as noted per the Network profile but AS would not recognize the device at all... IR sync works just fine. Tried multiple resets and AS install... echos of the experience the last 2 weeks going through my head....

Later on I tried methodically going through FireWall and McAfee settings again all to no avail...

This is just silly... There is no reason for it to suddenly stop working and no apparent fix... Guess I'll be IR syncing for a while...

On top of this.. I figured what do I have to lose.. I just got an new i-Blue BT GPS unit... the Treo does not want to pair with it properly.. though I managed to get TomTom installed via IR and working quite well but WITHOUT BT GPS!! I fear that Palm fiddled with the WM OS a bit too much...
    What can I say. I am in the exact same boat!
    My 700w would not sync out of the box so I go the web. Tried everything. Ultimately had to uninstall/re-install Outlook 2003. Worked like a champ...for 4 days. Now, I get a message that "There was a problem synchronizing your device. Blah blah blah..." I am abot to go bald from pulling my hair out!!

I can connect, explore my device, copy files to and from...but no syncy.

Pathetic.

Did run scanpst on my Personal Folders and it did find and repair errors but it didn't change a thing.

So sad...

Mark
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast