Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was about to buy a 700w and saw the 6700 sitting next to it and was impressed. so, i walked out and now researching the 6700. can you folks help. honestly, what's the downside to the 6700? what doesn't it do that the 700 CAN do?

i don't mind the slide out keyboard (i think) and i prefer the 320 x 240 screen... especially for EVDO television on my phone!! the screen looked better than the 700 but not as bright (maybe setting issue??). The 6700 is SLIGHTLY thicker than the 700, but not that bad.

So, please.... has anyone compared these and chosen one vs. the other? any reasons NOT to get 6700???

I'm very tempted. Coming form 650 now, I like the Treo, but the 6700 is about same size, has wifi (no big deal), larger screen, faster processor, etc.
    The 6700 is a Sprint phone and the Treo 700 is a Verizon phone. The data rates for Verizon are much higher than for Sprint so this makes the 6700 a much better option for now.
  3.    #3  
    WRONG. 6700 now available in new version for VERIZON.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg013c
    The 6700 is a Sprint phone and the Treo 700 is a Verizon phone. The data rates for Verizon are much higher than for Sprint so this makes the 6700 a much better option for now.
    Ughhh....there is a 6700 available for Verizon now. I tried the 6700 on Sprint. I didn't like the feel compared to the 700W. I wasn't able to test out the data capability with Sprint because the plan was so screwed up that I ended up giving up and returning it.
    I didnt know Verizon had the 6700.... Thats pretty cool.
    wow - the 650/700 is just about as big as I want to go for a phone... even a little bigger than I'd ideally like. I don't care what the 6700 does... it's a tank!
    Quote Originally Posted by srika
    wow - the 650/700 is just about as big as I want to go for a phone... even a little bigger than I'd ideally like. I don't care what the 6700 does... it's a tank!
    Technically it's nearly the same size as the Treo, it just doesn't have rounded edges making it look smaller.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I think a good simple way to describe the two:

6700: better PDA
    700w: better phone

So if your looking for a PDA with phone functions the 6700 is better for you...
    If your looking for a phone with PDA functions then the 700w is it...

...but that is IMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by srika
    You obviously have zero first hand experience.

As for the initial post- there is nothing the 700w does that the 6700 can't. The fact that threaded sms and a few of the other treo stronghold features were not brought over make it a no branier in favor of the 6700 imo. The only think the 700w has going for it is a better battery and exposed keyboard. I think the exposed keyboard is an advantage but others may disagree.

6700 = wifi, more memory, and a faster processor for less$$$
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  10.    #10  
    good points... keep them coming. can anyone find a review on the VERIZON 6700 (not sprint)??? I can't seem to find any review online.

My biggest concern right now: can i place a call on the 6700 without sliding open the keyboard and using 2 hands???

Otherwise, it's tempting overall. except i wish it had SD vs. mini SD, but i can buy that if necessary.

Also, anyway to put a 'goog'e type search bar on the today screen in the 6700??
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    You obviously have zero first hand experience.

As for the initial post- there is nothing the 700w does that the 6700 can't. The fact that threaded sms and a few of the other treo stronghold features were not brought over make it a no branier in favor of the 6700 imo. The only think the 700w has going for it is a better battery and exposed keyboard. I think the exposed keyboard is an advantage but others may disagree.

6700 = wifi, more memory, and a faster processor for less$$$
    I agree although there can be one significant preference for the 700w which can't really be changed -- form factor with an external keyboard. I realized how much I liked that convenience but the bottom line is that the larger screen makes for so much more use on the WM devices, including compatibility. I would have preferred greater vertical resolution on WM devices rather than making it similar to PC displays. I'd still take the 6700.

But I do agree with you that spec for spec the 6700 provides "more" but it really comes down to just how important form factor is for you.
    FYI the Verizon 6700 is identical hardware to the sprint version. Different roms but any Sprint review is relevant.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    gex pretty much summarized it. If you want something a bit more powerful but clumsy-feeling (in terms of phone usage), the 6700 is worth considering. I tried one for two weeks with Sprint and returned it and went back to my Treo 650. Among the things I didn't like...

- Switching to silent mode felt clumsy. With the Treo 650/700, you slide a simple switch off or on. With the 6700, you had to pull up/down on a slider and watch the volume control move down in increments until it eventually hit silent/vibrate mode. Sounds trivial to talk about but it's highly annoying in day-to-day usage.

- I don't want to use a stylus unless I'm drawing a picture or something. So with this if I even want to scroll through my emails or look at a web page, I've got to slide open the slider, then watch and wait (cuz it's S-L-O-W) as it switches from portrait to landscape mode. Turn it off and close the slider and the screen turns on again and you watch and wait as it switches back from landscape to portrait mode. This is a annoyance which someone should hopefully be able to find a registry hack to fix in some way or another (I'd prefer to have it not turn the screen back on when you slide closed the slider when the device is off).

- Dialing contacts can't be done one-handedly. I'm always calling my wife in the car. With the Treo 650, I push the green phone button, then first letter of first name and first letter of last name and I'm there. Push the center button on the D-Pad and it dials. All one-handed without needing to take my eyes off the road for but a brief second. On the 6700, you'll need to buy Voice Dial (or whatever it's called) to make in-car dialing safe. When not in the car, you'll need to use your stylus or open the slider and go in two-handed mode to look up someone to call.

- Mini-SD slot. I had recently purchased a 2GB SD card and had another 1GB SD card in the family and didn't want those to go to waste. Plus, mini-SD cards weren't up to the same capacity (or size-to-price ratio) as "full size" SD cards.

- WM5 vs Palm OS. I prefer Palm OS but will avoid getting into a debate about this. The 700w improves some of the usability, IMO, but it's still not where I'd like it to be. Some people are quite happy with the usability of the WM OS/GUI, god bless 'em, and you may be one of them.

- Wi-Fi was "neat" but something I had no real need for in a phone. The only Wi-Fi spot I'm often in is my house. When I'm home I use my laptop w/Wi-Fi. For others (perhaps you), built-in Wi-Fi may be a huge advantage.

I'm sure I'm leaving out some other things I didn't like about the 6700. Do a search here for 6700 and my username and you'll find a lot more to read. Bottom line is that what works well for one person doesn't necessarily work well for someone else. You may absolutely love the 6700. The best advice I can give is to try to play with one in-store as much as you can and then, if you still love it, buy it and try it out for the two week (or whatever Verizon offers) trial.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    My biggest concern right now: can i place a call on the 6700 without sliding open the keyboard and using 2 hands???
    You don't have to open the keyboard to dial. You have several options, but without adding software you just hit the green phone key, select Contacts and press down on the d-pad until you hit the right one. Hit the center button and if there's more than one number, select it and it dials. Your other options are Voice Command, ContactBreeze, or several other similar add-ons.
    Also, anyway to put a 'goog'e type search bar on the today screen in the 6700??
    Yes. There's a free Today screen plug-in called SearchToday.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    I believe the Sprint version 6700 let you use wifi and phone at the same time. Whereas the Verizon 6700 disables the phone if you use the wifi.

Why? Because Verizon is not happy if it doesn't bend you over and have it its way, everyday

Now back to topic, the 6700 does look and feel bigger. More powerful though. It's your call..
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Having owned both units and settling on the Treo, here is my take, based on my needs and my usage patterns. Of course others may use their devices differently and I totally recognize that my opinion is just that....my opinion.

The Verizon verson (VX6700) sucks as a phone unless you use a headset. First and foremost, the in-call speaker, be it ear speaker or speakerphone, is very weak. Yes, there are registry hacks around that will help you to boost that a bit, but if you make a call on the 6700 and then make a call on the 700w the difference is night and day. Second, the rf performance on the verizon vx6700 is weak. Not so on the 700w.....not by a long shot. Third, while the two phones dimensions are pretty close, the real user experience is that the vx6700 is heavier, and clunkier. It does not sit well against my face when I hold it / use it as a phone. Not only that, but the ear speaker is one of those "you have to find the sweet spot" kind of deals whereby if it is not positioned just right against your ear, the incoming caller is almost too quiet to here.

On the pda side, yes the 6700 has double the RAM, and yes the 240x320 screen plus the landscape possibilities kick the Treos' ****. Personally, I did not like the slide out keyboard one bit. I like the exposed keyboard of the treo much better. Not only for it's immediate availability, but actually as a keyboard itself. The wide layout of the 6700's keyboard actually makes "thumbing" bit of a pain. To much of a reach from one side of the keyboard to another. The treos' keys are perfect for me, and as close to a blackberry as you will ever get. On the 6700, when you want to type, you have to first flip the phone on it's side, slide out the keyboard, and then wait for the screen to orient itself to landscape. Now it sounds like I am making a mountain out of a molehill, but truthfully trying to balance this and do it all while you are on the run is a bit of a challenge. When you want to type on the Treo you just start typing, and you can even do it one handed. You cannot use the keyboard on the 6700 without both hands on the unit....at least I was not able to.

The camera on the 6700 is a joke. Not that the one on the Treo is leaps and bounds better, but it can take a decent picture. They might has well have left the camera off of the 6700 because you even in the most ideal lighting conditions the pictures are marginal at best.

The battery life on the 6700 kind of sucks. It will get you through most days I suppose, but if you are a road warrior and need to use this thing to it's maximum potential while away from a charging source, you better have a 2nd battery.

I have owned both phones, and I am NOT a PDA power user. I don't watch movies, stream audio or spend an excessive amount of time surfing the net. I dabble a bit here and a bit there, but use my device primarily as a phone, an email device, and a Personal information Manager. For me the Treo just works so much better at these items than the 6700. It is totally possible to use the Treo all day long without ever having to touch the stylus. The call quality is both crystal clear and appropriately loud. The rf is just as good as any Motorola or Nokia that I have ever owned. The EVDO is just a blast when sending/receiving email or doing some web surfing, and for that matter what little need I had for WiFi is reduced even more. The square screen doesn't bother me one bit, and the battery life is really impressive for such a feature-packed device, even with bluetooth on all day long. The memory limitations are there, but with the right software to properly close out apps when you are finished with them, coupled with a quick soft-reset every couple of days, and I have not had one single problem. No lock ups, no low memory warnings, nothing.

I know that in many respects the 6700 is looked at as a pda and multimedia powerhouse, and I realize that the final verdict really depends on how you plan on using the device.

Thats' my .02 cents. Your mileage may vary.
  17.    #17  
    everyone has good points on here, very informative. i think i need to spend sometime with the vx6700 in the store and see if it works. i prefer the upsides of this device, vs. the upsides of the 700w.... assuming the downsides are not too bad. Having Slingbox at home now, it would be much better to watch free TV on the 6700 than the treo square screen.

anyone else try both of these for awhile??
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    Yes you can. Although one thing the Treo 700w has over the VX6700 is the Treo included the Voice Commander software, you need to buy it on the VX6700 (which is $39)

I had the 700w and returned it for the vx6700 and I am much happier and this is mainly because the VX6700 does not have the memory issues that the 700w does.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    I believe the Sprint version 6700 let you use wifi and phone at the same time. Whereas the Verizon 6700 disables the phone if you use the wifi.
    There is an easy registry entry which takes care of that problem.
    I had the Samsung i730 and so far I'm much happier with the 700w because of form/function. You can't beat the treo for one handed use. email, text, surf the web...all one handed...my friend has the xv6700 and it has the same issues for me that the i730 did...it feels clumsy...I too do not like to use pull out the stylus every time I need to perform simple functions...but as most people have mentioned, it's going to come down to what you specifically want to do with it and what's more important...big screen pda or slightly smaller screen that rocks as a phone and imo still performs excellent as a pda. The memory issues starts to become a non-issue after you realize you can only multitask so much and don't need a million apps open at once...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast