Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    FYI the Verizon 6700 is identical hardware to the sprint version. Different roms but any Sprint review is relevant.
    Case at least apparantly is different:

Verizon xv6700:
    Talk time: 300 minutes (5 hrs)
    Standby time: 200 hours
    Size: 5.2H x 2.32W x 0.93D inches
    Weight: 6.5 oz

Sprint 6700
    Up to 3.5 hours continuous digital talk time.
    4.25" x 2.3" x 1.0" (size comparison)
    6.1 oz

TAken from sprint & verizon's web sites... no first hand experience
    Quote Originally Posted by />eathwish
    TAken from sprint & verizon's web sites... no first hand experience
    You'll get a third answer from Phonescoop , and a 4th answer from UTStarcom (the Verizon distributor for HTC), so it's pretty hard to tell who knows what's going on.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    You obviously have zero first hand experience.

As for the initial post- there is nothing the 700w does that the 6700 can't....
    I think its obvious you have no first hand experience. Palm made many tweaks to WM5 on the treo to make it a better "phone" than any other PDA/Phone. Today screen has about 4 different plugins that make things like speed dial, picture caller ID, Picture speed dial, and fast contact search, AND google search bar possible.

The 6700 does have a faster processor... Try using the thing. There's no comparison, the treo outperforms it in all benchmarks. Palm also added caching of the most used pieces of code from WM5 so that the treo could move so quick.

Speakerphone on 6700 is just about non-existent. period.

ergonomics, button layout, and aestitics are better hands down on the treo.

I thought the bigger keyboard on the 6700 would be a big draw for me, but even the pressure on it feels off and when holding the treo in one hand, and the 6700 in another, i could type faster on the treo actually. This is what I've observed.
    I've used both devices and I prefer the ergonomics of the Treo. On the 6700 I definitely use the stylus constantly. On the treo I almost never have to pull it out.

Treo also includes Voice Command and it works better on the Treo than on the 6700
    I just came back from the Verizon store. The 6700 is a nice looking unit and it does have more RAM and a bigger screen. The slider functionality, although commendable, looks as if it could break later. The one-handed funcitionality is non-existent on this phone. Also, the 6700 does feel a little slower than my 700w even though the 6700 has a faster CPU and more RAM. I purchased xcpuscalar for my 700w so it is running the same speed (416MHz) as the 6700, but even with stock speed the 700w feels a bit snappier.

I agree with a lot of you. If I wanted more of a PDA, then the 6700 would fit the bill. If I wanted a phone with PDA functionality, the 700w is fine with me. I, being a former Axim x50v owner, have converted to the latter. As long as I have Internet connectivity, Astraware Sudoku, and Mapopolis compatibility along with great reception and call quality ... the Treo 700w has been working great for me so far.
    Being a died-in-the-wool Treo user since the first round of 300's, I am shocked at how much I really like the 6700 which Sprint sent to me for evaluation. The CE OS (I hate to say this) is vastly superior to the PalmOS with regard to application integration and stability. Bluetooth works flawlessly and the Wireless-B/G is satisfying if you use it. It came with a cradle/power, headset and nice leather case...among other goodies that we are expected to pay for separately. Perfect integration with the Windows desktop and seamless applications working in concert with MS Office (which also come with it!). This product is FAR more stable and mature than the 650 or the 700. Palm, are you listening ? You guy's had better wake up damn soon and start making the Treo a sustainable product or you will go into the tank. Let's face it, guys, our Emperor IS missing quite a bit of clothing and its time to call the Treo for what it really is... half baked (or maybe 3/4 baked). Maybe we have a chance of waking up the slumbering executives at P1 with some real competition that can eat their lunch.
    A few clarifications.

A testiment to Verizon's marketing, the Sprint PPC6700 is EVDO. Few realize Sprint's EVDO is just as speedy as Verizons. I have run bandwidth tests with a Verizon PC Card and my PPC 6700 hooked up to my laptop, they are comparable. Sprint is faster with full signal, Verizon is more consistant. At least in my area.

Verizon charges $50 a month for unlimeted EVDO bandwidth. Sprint charges $15 a month.

Ignoring the antennas the 6700 is shorter, and narrower than the Treo 700, but slightly thicker.

Stylus fits better in the Treo than the 6700.

Onehanded calling is cumbersome on the 6700. (Everyone agrees Palm got ergo right on the Treo).

Treo is slightly heavier, and so feels more substantial. But do not forget all of the warrenty repairs we went through on the 600 and 650 (the "No Service" batter issue come to anyone's mind???)

I like this comment the best (paraphrasing)
    More phone = Treo 700
    More PDA = PPC 6700
    Quote Originally Posted by dgoodisi
    But do not forget all of the warrenty repairs we went through on the 600 and 650 (the "No Service" batter issue come to anyone's mind???)
    Why does everyone (he he) always (ha ha) have to make global exaggerations when stating their opinions? What "we" are you referring to? I never had any warranty repairs on my Treo 300, 600 or 650.

Please come back and speak again in 3 months after your 6700 keyboard is dangling from one hinge from the face section.
    You've just been extraordinarily lucky, jwindsurfer. Go back and read the hundreds, maybe thousands, of messages on this board regarding phone replacements. I personally had 4 warranty replacements of the 300, 5 replacements of the 600 and 3 so far of the 650. This is not uncommon and a lot of people experience numerous defects like screen failures, dead keyboards and host of other problems. Birthing the Treo line has not been easy for users or the Carriers. Handspring/P1 needs to get its act together on quality (and features). It's been a huge problem for this community.
    I had 6 or 7 Treo 600 replacements and then gave up. My XV6600 was replaced once. I'm expecting to have my Treo 700w replaced within 2 months. That is one thing VZW does right -- replacements are usually painless. Maybe that is partially why we pay so much for service.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse
    You've just been extraordinarily lucky, jwindsurfer. Go back and read the hundreds, maybe thousands, of messages on this board regarding phone replacements. I personally had 4 warranty replacements of the 300, 5 replacements of the 600 and 3 so far of the 650. This is not uncommon and a lot of people experience numerous defects like screen failures, dead keyboards and host of other problems. Birthing the Treo line has not been easy for users or the Carriers. Handspring/P1 needs to get its act together on quality (and features). It's been a huge problem for this community.
    What are you doing with your phones? I'd find it very hard to believe that you've had 12 replacements in one year of use, with each model being replaced at least 3 times, each time because the phone itself is defective. I had 2 replacements for the 600 (once was stolen) and none for the 650. Others I know have had similar experiences. Used properly and with a case, if it works it should work for the year. Most people just abuse the bejesus out of their phone and then the phone begins to show wear and tear like it should although sometimes its undetectable... like the time your water glass spills over your Treo...
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    Why does everyone (he he) always (ha ha) have to make global exaggerations when stating their opinions?
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    Please come back and speak again in 3 months after your 6700 keyboard is dangling from one hinge from the face section.
    Ahh - irony.
  13.    #73  
    been about a week since my original post and since i bought the 6700 instead of the 700w. So far, I like it. yes, one handed operation is not as easy, however I installed Voice Command and that makes most dialing very easy. But i really prefer the larger screen and streaming videos/TV is much better looking and enjoyable on the 6700. i continue to have my 650 with me, but thinking of selling it on ebay.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I tried the 6700 next to the 700w and I coudln't take how slow the 6700 was compared tothe 700w (yes, it has faster cpu but its still slower). 700w is more setup like a phone and ez'er to navigate. I haven't heard of anyone having any RAM issues with it, and I guess I'll just use the SD wifi card with it to get on wlan's. The 700w is $100 more, but I just like how it looks a lot better and I could even learn to like the size of vido playback on it. I think it'll make a better PDA/Phone. Can't wait til payday.
    Global Posts
    1,935 Global Posts
    There are many tricks and hacks that are EASILY implemented to make the 6700 very "onr handed friendly". Sure, out of the box you may have to use the stylus alot, but after you do your homework stylus use can become almost non-existent.
    Palm VII-Palm Vx-Palm M125-Clie T615-Sony NZ90-Sony NX80-Toshiba E800-Sony NZ90 (again)-Treo 600-HP 6315-Treo 650-Moto MPX220-SX66-Treo 650 (again)-QTek 9100-HP6515-Cingular 8125-Moto Q (10 days)-Cingular 8125 (again)-Nokia 9300-Cingular 2125 & Nokia E62-ETen M600+-Cingular 3125-Treo 750 & Samsung Blackjack-Cingular 8525-iPhone-Moto Q9-at&t Tilt-iPhone3G-Nokia E71-HTC Diamond-Blackberry Bold-at&t Fuze-SE Xperia X1a-Treo Pro.

Be very, very quiet. I'm gonna catch me a rhinoceros.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What are you doing with your phones? I'd find it very hard to believe that you've had 12 replacements in one year of use, with each model being replaced at least 3 times, each time because the phone itself is defective.
    You were probably not addressing this to me but I definitely believe it.

Search on "SMS" in the Treo 600 forum. There was a problem with SMS messages actually trashing the phone that a firmware update which came out in either February or March resolved. The only resolution until the firmware upgrade was ready was to replace the unit. I was replacing the phone monthly.

I had my XV6600 for almost a year before having to replace it because the internal backup battery "disappeared".

My sister had a problem with her XV6600 which had something to do with the VZW network in her area. She wasn't getting calls even when there was reception. They replaced her phone about 9 times in 2005 until she got the i730 for $50. The replacement phones would work for a few weeks and then the problem would began again.

These phone can have hardware problems which may only affect certain customers based on their location and/or their usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Here are a couple more points. If you are a sprint customer and are changing, you will likely get a better deal on the phone during the switch. The other thing to consider, and I find this very important is customer service and I can tell you that Sprint has some of the absolute worst customer service out there.

Eric
    Have to voice an opinion of my own here. If you NEED customer service from your wireless carrier on any sort of regular basis, then it is my opinion, MY OPINION that you shouldn't own anything more complicated than an LG VX3200 or Samsung VI660.

Sorry, but there it is.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Ahh - irony.

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in awhile!!!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    That's real poetry, Doom... thanks for sharing. And Slinky, why would you assume one year over three models of replacements. This has been going on since the very first 300's were shipped, one of which I received way back when. One thing is sure... if we remain an uncritical and unfocused consumer of Treo's, this product and company is going to drift... so I applaud the PPC 6700 with whatever warts it has. P1 needs some competition, it's arrogant, fat and ignorant. Microsoft, bring it on !
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234