Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    At first use it also seemed that the 6700 had in fact slower response times than the 700. That's just subjective, though.
    I had the same experience as well. This doesn't seem to make sense because the 6700 has faster processor and more RAM.

Strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I think a good simple way to describe the two:

6700: better PDA
    700w: better phone

So if your looking for a PDA with phone functions the 6700 is better for you...
    If your looking for a phone with PDA functions then the 700w is it...

...but that is IMHO
    Excellent comparison. I agree completely.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beekatt
    Excellent comparison. I agree completely.
    Thank you

I just think its great that we have not only one or two but THREE Windows Mobile devices to chose from with Verizon! And...soon it will be FOUR (the Moto Q is differnent but still WM).

Never thought i would see the day we had this many options
    This thread petty much matches what is said here:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911103,00.asp

Palm Treo 700w

"The Treo 700w vs. the Competition

You can compare the Treo 700w against its predecessor, the 650, or against other Windows Mobile handhelds. The Palm OS used in the Treo 650 still requires fewer taps and clicks than Windows Mobile, uses less battery power in PDA mode, and feels zippier with the 312-MHz processor.

Windows Mobile's strengths are in the integration with Microsoft workplaces and in high-end features like video playback, Wi-Fi/cellular convergence, high-res screens, powerful processors, and glamorous games. But the Treo 700w's 240-by-240 screen consigns videos to a cramped window (or to having their sides clipped off); there's no Wi-Fi (though EV-DO is nice); and the processor isn't all that fast.

No perfect smartphone solution is available right now, in our eyes. For power, we'd recommend the Sprint PPC-6700 or its Verizon cousin. Both are smaller and lighter than the Treo and have Wi-Fi, a faster processor, and a bigger display than the Treo's, but they aren't quite as usable one-handed. For e-mail and phone use, we like the BlackBerry 7130e, which has a slim form, light weight, and excellent sound quality (though you'll have to be comfortable with its unusual keyboard). And if high-speed networking isn't important to you, well, the Treo 650 is still out there on store shelves."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    I had the same experience as well. This doesn't seem to make sense because the 6700 has faster processor and more RAM.

Strange.
    I don't know if it's apples to apples comparison. The Treo has the intel XScale chipset, and the 6700 has the TI OMAP chipset.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebadger
    I don't know if it's apples to apples comparison. The Treo has the intel XScale chipset, and the 6700 has the TI OMAP chipset.
    The 6700 is also an XScale (but faster - 416MHz) processor.

You might be thinking of the GSM HTC Wizard variants, which all use a 200MHz OMAP processor.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    This isn't true:
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    "...the Sprint PPC-6700 or its Verizon cousin. Both are smaller and lighter than the Treo ...."
    Check the specs.
    Hi all, New here. I had my doubts about my new 700, so yesterday i went and played with the 6700 with the intent of trading out. They did pretty close to the same thing, but in my opinion, the 6700 just felt flimsy. I though i was gonna break it just holding it, and sliding the keyboard. I personally chose the 700 because of the solid, no moving parts design so i couldn't break it or something.

Chris
    700W
    So, the votes are all in and the 700 won! (just kidding) If I really thought I was going to spend a lot of time watching movies on my phone, I'd definitely get the one with the bigger screen.
    Keep in mind you CAN do a lot of these things on the 6700 that you are saying is a pain - with third party software. Keep in mind there are many hacks, tweaks type software the Treo 650 needed in order for it to be "useable" for all you Treo fans either. Out of the box the Treo does not have volumecare, profiles, Butler, Treoguard, voice recorder, & the list goes on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    This isn't true:

Check the specs.
    I didn't wrote the article. You need to contact Sascha Segan from PC Mag.
    So, the votes are all in and the 700 won! (just kidding) If I really thought I was going to spend a lot of time watching movies on my phone, I'd definitely get the one with the bigger screen.
    Not bigger just more pixels. Personally, no interest in movies or photos, but when looking at text, you ca fit almost 80% more info on the screen at 320 x 320 than at 240 x 240.
    Here are a couple more points. If you are a sprint customer and are changing, you will likely get a better deal on the phone during the switch. The other thing to consider, and I find this very important is customer service and I can tell you that Sprint has some of the absolute worst customer service out there.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by race
    good points... keep them coming. can anyone find a review on the VERIZON 6700 (not sprint)??? I can't seem to find any review online.

My biggest concern right now: can i place a call on the 6700 without sliding open the keyboard and using 2 hands???

Otherwise, it's tempting overall. except i wish it had SD vs. mini SD, but i can buy that if necessary.

Also, anyway to put a 'goog'e type search bar on the today screen in the 6700??
    Not bigger just more pixels. Personally, no interest in movies or photos, but when looking at text, you ca fit almost 80% more info on the screen at 320 x 320 than at 240 x 240.
    80% more text, eh? How do you get that, by lowering the font size? The 6700 is 320 x 240. Sure you can see some more text, unless it's broken, in which case you can see only 100% less. The way the screen is laid out, you can see about 30% more text in some situations on the 6700.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    The other thing to consider, and I find this very important is customer service and I can tell you that Sprint has some of the absolute worst customer service out there.

Eric
    Trust me Verizon cannot be much better.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Here are a couple more points. If you are a sprint customer and are changing, you will likely get a better deal on the phone during the switch. The other thing to consider, and I find this very important is customer service and I can tell you that Sprint has some of the absolute worst customer service out there.

Eric
    I've been with Sprint for several years. I didn't find their customer support to be all that bad. But that's good to hear, since I'll be with VZN probably at least for the next year.
    80% more text, eh? How do you get that, by lowering the font size? The 6700 is 320 x 240. Sure you can see some more text, unless it's broken, in which case you can see only 100% less. The way the screen is laid out, you can see about 30% more text in some situations on the 6700.

I was referring to the Palm 700w ..... with the 6700, it would be only 33 % more text. I use small fonts on every application that offers it. For reading long e-mails, web pages Docs2Go docs. e-books, etc I want as many pixels as I can get. Waiting for that Treo w/ built in LCD projector that places 1920 x 1280 immage on wall in front if you !
    I was referring to the Palm 700w ..... with the 6700, it would be only 33 % more text. I use small fonts on every application that offers it. For reading long e-mails, web pages Docs2Go docs. e-books, etc I want as many pixels as I can get. Waiting for that Treo w/ built in LCD projector that places 1920 x 1280 immage on wall in front if you !
    Do you mean the Treo 650? I have one of those too. I can't really see any difference. There's definitely not 80% more text space. I guess I'd rather have more pixels, too, though, things would at least be more sharp. The idea behind the 6700 is good, if only they made the screen the full length of the device and the keyboard mechanism and the rest of it more sturdy. More screen is always better.
    I bought the unlocked GSM the day it was released so I used the 650 for about a year and I loved using it, but I LOVE the 700. I guess I just like WM. The only place I've missed the extra screen real estate was on webpages, eveything else looks great, in general use the text is about the same as far as how much fits on a page. The screen is very bright and very clear, pictures don't look as good of course. I doubt I'll have a WM device that's not made by Palm, and I don't think I'll go back to the Palm OS, but the two of them together are perfect for me.
    I didn't wrote the article. You need to contact Sascha Segan from PC Mag.
    Not blaming you at all. I'm just irked when the writers state incorrect information.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast