Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    fyi: the 6700 has a documented LONGER talk time than the 700.

i'm going to go look at it again at the store.
    If battery life is anything like the I-Mate Jam (3 hours talk time without Wifi enabled) then this alone would be a fatal feature for me. Sure, I like the big screen and feature missing from the Treo, but it's gotta last a full day per charge at least. The biggest reason for not including WiFi in the Treo is that WiFi sucks down the juice too fast. All those wow-ee features don't do much if the device is in your pocket with a dead battery and you're asking, "Where's the pay-phone?".
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Here is what it boils down to; it's asking yourself, is this phone going to fit your needs. Coming here and asking us to try and talk you into or out of the 6700 or the 700 is not going to work.

Things that work for me on the 700 might not work for you and vice versa. Me personally, I have no desire to watch TV on a 240x240 screen or a 240x320 screen. I'm not that much of a tv addict that I can't wait till I get home to watch something, but that is me.

Obviously from your comments you are pretty much set on the 6700, so try it out in the store, get it, see if it meets your needs. If it doesn't you have 2 weeks to return it. That should give you plenty of time to evaluate it for your needs.
    Last edited by nuflat; 01/22/2006 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    Me personally, I have not desire to watch TV on a 240x240 screen or a 240x320 screen. I'm not that much of a tv addict that I can't wait till I get home to watch something, but that is me.
    I'm the opposite. I'm too much of a TV addict to waste time watching on such a low resolution small screen.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    I'm the opposite. I'm too much of a TV addict to waste time watching on such a low resolution small screen.
    No what I was saying is that I have a 46 inch HDTV at home. Why would I want to waste my time watching shows on miniature screen.
    I just think there are different devices. The 6700 is intended for someone who's much more PDA centric, and not that phone/email/text msg centric. Having the keyboard always exposed, on the 700 (or 650, or Blackberries, for that matter) just makes it so much easier to whip out the device and dial someone, fire off a quick email, or SMS, or whatever.

I too played at length with the 6700, found the wide keyboard too hard to use effectively. But everyone has their own needs and requirements.
    ITA w/nrosser on this. The memory and screen (in that order) are the 2 things which make the 6700 more attractive to me. If I didn't have a laptop with me over 50% of my waking hours, the 700w would not be my first choice.

Nevertheless, I'd love to be able to get CNN and MSNBC (in that order) on my 700w.
  8.    #28  
    ok, i just bought the 6700 and will play with it for a couple weeks. i really like the 700w, but this one just keeps begging me to try it. i won't post too much on this board since it's a treo board, but if anyone has any questions, let me know.

both devices are great... but for now, if i can be happy with the amount of 1 hand ability on the 6700, then i would love to also take advantage of its larger screen and other extras.
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    i won't post too much on this board since it's a treo board, but if anyone has any questions, let me know.
    Feel free to post anything regarding the 6700 in the "Other Handhelds" forum...
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    My first reaction to seeing the 6700 was WOW as well, after having used a 700w for a week. Then I played with it some more, and decided against it because the 6700 is really not that easy to use one-handed. Dialing is okay...you can call up the dialpad and narrow down to a contact as you type a name on the 10-digit dialpad. Or use voice command. But answering a TXT message one-handed is pretty much impossible, they keyboard is just too wide for it.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    No what I was saying is that I have a 46 inch HDTV at home. Why would I want to waste my time watching shows on miniature screen.
    I said the same thing too. That's until I was able to load my phone with a movie and it made a long train ride incredibly enjoyable. How nice of a convenience to pass commuting time with a movie or even an instructional video too.
    I went to Verizon today and spent 20 minutes with a 6700. Interesting piece of hardware. The screen is better, in that it's bigger. It's pretty much identical in size to the Treo, though it's design makes it look bigger. It does seem not to be as solid as the Treo. It's a toss up for me on the "cool" looking factor. In some respects it does look like a box, but it also has a screen that is nearly as big as the whole thing and also has a pull out keyboard which are cool in their own right. If you're ham-handed like me, you will break the keyboard sliding mechanish within a year, though it's mostly fine when brand new. The side button/switches on the 6700 look cheap too. It would be a toss up between which would wear out/break first. The keyboard or the switches. Better get the insurance if you buy the 6700. One handed use is not near as easy, well, in some respects it's impossible. If I used it, I'd be constantly flipping between horizontal and vertical, keying in on the keyboard, then closing it and fliping it to read in vertical mode. The main feature differences is wi-fi in 6700 and VoiceCommand in the 700. I don't need wifi and voicecommand only partially works. Though I did dial by voice by number flawlessly, dialing by contact failed miserably, I tried over and over, it kept coming up with the wrong contacts. That feature's not ready for primetime. The SD in the 700 vs the miniSD in the 6700 would be an issue for some people, I guess. I found the maximum volume in the 6700 to be too low. I don't think you could use the phone outside if there was any traffic or other ambient noise.

At first use it also seemed that the 6700 had in fact slower response times than the 700. That's just subjective, though.

I like that the 6700 uses a standard USB connection for syncing. Not sure if that will also charge it. I think the only reason the treo's don't is so palm can sell the cords.

I also asked if the 6700 could be used as a modem and the VZN rep said no, "unless you can find some kind of work around (snicker)" and he said Verizon intentionally blocks that in all their phones. I don't know if any "work around" has been discovered for the 6700 but we know PDANet works for the 700, but not for how long.
    Last edited by jwindsurfer; 01/22/2006 at 03:50 PM.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I visited a Verizon yesterday and personally, there were a couple of major differences that made the 6700 a "NO" for me.

1. miniSD - I need SD
    2. Keyboard - As I typed on the 6700 keyboard, I found that I pressed two buttons at the same time on several occations. I would also be worried that the sliding mechanism would fail at some point. This mechanism just doesn't seem to be as well built as the slider in the i730. The one in the i730 has that spring open, spring closed action that's really impressive.
    3. Ringer Switch
    4. Palm software enhancements - Palm did some pretty good work to the Windows Mobile OS to get the 700W to behave more like a Treo.

Having said all of that, I'm still deciding if I will take the plunge and go for a 700W or wait and see if a 700P will materialize. I need Exchange Access (wanting for BlackBerry Connect) and I'm hoping for GPS. Looks like my 600 will have to do for now.
    Last edited by jeeter; 01/22/2006 at 02:15 AM.
    My 2, it's all I can spare
    Treo 270 Treo 600 Treo 700P *** Unmentionable *** Pre {rooted}
    Quote Originally Posted by mobidutch
    Dialing is okay...you can call up the dialpad and narrow down to a contact as you type a name on the 10-digit dialpad.
    Are you sure about that? I had a 6700 for two weeks and I'm pretty sure you can't do that.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeter
    3. Ringer Switch
    I forgot to mention that, too. The side button/switches on the 6700 look cheap too. It would be a toss up between which would wear out/break first. The keyboard or the switches. Better get the insurance if you buy the 6700.
  16.    #36  
    scott: i don't think he meant the normal 'dialpad' but there's an alternative you can call up which will narrow down contacts as you hit it like in an old phone style. however, i don't use that... voice command seems to work very well for contacts dialing....

jwindsurfer: you are right, the buttons do feel slightly cheaper, but not that bad really and hopefully will last until the next cool phone comes out. so far, i like the 6700 and mostly because of the larger screen with more resolution. videos look very good. and for the most part, i can do what i want with one hand. only second day using the 6700 though, so will keep trying to decide if i like it.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    scott: i don't think he meant the normal 'dialpad' but there's an alternative you can call up which will narrow down contacts as you hit it like in an old phone style.
    Right. I beamed over a few contacts from my T700w to the XV6700. Then, with the keyboard closed, I hit the dial button on the 6700, which brings up a 10-digit dial-pad on the screen. If you use that to dial by name, it will narrow down to matching contacts just like a WM Smartphone does. At least it did for me .
    I could have sworn I tried that with my 6700 and it didn't work. This was with the standard software and not some 3rd party app?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  19.    #39  
    it seems to narrow down the contacts based on PHONE number, not by letter, if you are using the dial pad.

but let me say this. I just put ORB on my computer and it is freaking amazing on the 6700 pda. internet TV, videos, etc. look great and fit perfectly. this is one major reason i didn't want the 700. i can't wait for slingbox to have their mobile software out!!!
    Well, I've now spent the past week using the 700W and picked up a 6700 on Friday to give it a try as well. They are both great units and the 6700 has a better screen and keyboard! But, unless you're not a big phone user and you're more interested in email then I would go with the 700W. Yes, the 6700 is less money and has more goodies included in the box. But again, like most people you'll need to get a new Mini SD card for the 6700 and if you've had a Treo 600 or 650 and you use windows like me then go with the 700W. You can one hand almost everything including adding new contacts, finding contacts to call, creating a new appointment and even sending short email replys. You just can't do that on the 6700 while you're driving unless you plan on getting in a wreck! Other things to note are the wireless button is very difficult to access and turn on with the 6700 and the phone function buttons being at the bottom of the unit are very uncomfortable to access and use. The 700W is easy to turn on and use and the buttons are comfortable and in the right place.

I'm a heavy gadget user and I'm always on the bleeding edge and so far this is the best combination device I've tried or bought as of yet! Good Luck
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast