1.    #1  
    anyone notice how bad the signal reception on this thing is? Is it as bad as the 650?

I normally get a signal from my home outside dc all the way to a nearby ski mountain with my junky LG4400. There was no signal for the last 25 miles with my 700. Same story on two nights. What gives?
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I have noticed the opposite. Compared to my V710 phone I had, this thing rules. I get signal further out than the 710 when traveling, its a clearer signal, better reception overall. And I dont have to mess with pulling that stupid antenna out
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    My signal strength actually improved when I moved to the 700. Sounds like there might have been a problem with a tower in that area. Generally if you call Verizon and report that, they will check it out and fix the issue.

I had a problem a couple years ago near my office when I was using my 600 I would lose signal and could not make a call. Thought it was the building and walked outside and still nothing.

I called Verizon and they reported it to their service people and someone actually called me back a couple days later to confirm if it had been fixed which it was. The tech also told me that if I run into and issue with signal strength, to dial *18 from my phone and it will make sure that I am connected to the nearest Verizon tower.

When you do that you will get a message saying, welcome to Verizon Wireless. I have done this in the past and have seen my signal strength bars increase after I called. Most of the time it was only by one bar, but hey, every little bit helps.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    My signal strength actually improved when I moved to the 700. Sounds like there might have been a problem with a tower in that area. Generally if you call Verizon and report that, they will check it out and fix the issue.

I had a problem a couple years ago near my office when I was using my 600 I would lose signal and could not make a call. Thought it was the building and walked outside and still nothing.

I called Verizon and they reported it to their service people and someone actually called me back a couple days later to confirm if it had been fixed which it was. The tech also told me that if I run into and issue with signal strength, to dial *18 from my phone and it will make sure that I am connected to the nearest Verizon tower.

When you do that you will get a message saying, welcome to Verizon Wireless. I have done this in the past and have seen my signal strength bars increase after I called. Most of the time it was only by one bar, but hey, every little bit helps.
    My wife still has the same phone so I'll check it against hers, but these dates were more than a week apart so I don't think this was a tower issue.
    With *18 I get "Your feature has been activated.". Why do I get a bad feeling that I was suckered into something....
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Strange when I've done it, I get, "Welcome to Verizon Wireless" and then the call ends. It used to be James Earl Jones but now it's a female voice. I verified this with the technician that told me to do this.
    Last edited by nuflat; 01/22/2006 at 09:31 AM.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I called and talked to another tech and he told me that the *18 forces the phone to register on the Verizon network. He said you could do the same thing by turning the phone off and then back on because that's what it does when you turn the phone on.
    Last edited by nuflat; 01/22/2006 at 09:17 AM.
  8.    #8  
    Well, I tested by bringing my 700 and my wife's LG4400 from our home in dc to a local ski mountain. As before the 700 lost all signals a full 20-25 miles from the mountain, while the LG maintained the signal to within 4 miles. The LG didn't lose the signal until we got into the mountians. The 700 lost the signal on the highway, long before we got to the mountians. This is rolling very flat highway terrain. Any ideas? The reception can't be this bad, can it?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Yes, the reception is that bad. I got the new Treo 700w a week ago and also noticed a marked decrease in radio performance compared to my V710 that it replaced. It was so bad that I went back to the store and exchanged it for a new Treo. My second Treo seems like its a little better but that may just be placebo effect. The Treo only has 4 bars to equal 100% while the V710 has from 1 to 5 bars for 100% so you can't really make and accurate comparison on the bars alone. After I got the second Treo, I went to the exact spot where I was dropping calls with the first Treo and I was getting 3 to 4 bars 1xRTT on the V710 and was only getting 1 and 2 bars 1xRTT on the Treo. I made test calls on both and found that the V710 was better. The V710 call was clearer and did not drop at all while the Treo would be a little choppy and even dropped the call once. I called Verizon and gave them the address and they said I was surrounded by 6 towers but not really close to any one of them. I was in a major city not out in the boondocks either. The other problem I found was that the Treo was kind of fast on the DTMF tones so I had to switch to long tones to access my voicemail reliably with the saved password. I really love the Treo and as long as I can make calls reliably in all of the areas that I frequent, it does not really matter if the call has 2 bars or 5. Also, in my home location, Verizon has EVDO and I really like that. The other thing to be aware of is could your LG4400 be a tri-mode phone with analog? Perhaps the all digital treo lost signal when you got out in the boonies but where the LG was using analog. I'm not familiar with the LG4400 but you might want to check that out.
    I've noticed a drop in signal strength with the 700w, I'm on my 2nd one...since the first one wouldn't load voice command...hoping the signal issue was with the 1st phone, I'm dissapointed to find that it's no better. I still have my Samsung i600, and standing in the exact same place, the i600 gets 4 bars(max) and the 700w gets 2-3(it fluctuates).

Not to mention that call quality is really not that good either... Good news is EVDO and push email(exchange setup correctly) are great!