Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The single biggest factor in my abandonment of the 650 was the horrid phone reception. The lockups and terrible performance of Blazer and Versamail didn't help either. But it was the inability to use the phone in places where I was accustomed to getting perfectly good reception that sealed the 650's fate. (Yes, I had 4 of them and they all had the weakest radios of any phone in my building.)

Soooo, is the 700's radio any better? How is the reception? I do hate Outlook (love the Palm Desktop, so simple and fast) but I could live with it if the 700 has a good radio.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911101,00.asp

"The phone in the Treo 700w seems to be the same one as in the Verizon Treo 650, right down to the same talk time: 5 hours, 17 minutes."

Not sure "seems" is good enough answer for you
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I'm hoping for real-world experience on this one. I'm kind of amazed that all the reviews I have read seem to ignore this issue. I mean, it's a phone, right? And it seems to me that while to some--like those who live and work next to a cell tower and never stray too far from a very strong signal--the reception might not be a big issue. But it is at least important enough to write about in a review. FWIW, I live in Boston and work in Cambridge, hardly the boondocks, but for whatever reason, my office has a weak signal. I dropped or missed at least 35% of all calls in my personal office and when in the building's basement, calles were nearly impossible to make. With my Moto e815 I get 4 bars in my office, never miss a call and have maybe dropped one call in the basement. I'm able to make, receive and maintain great connections throughout the entire metro area. The Treos (all four of them) dropped calls all over the city.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I have noticed a difference between my 650 and 700 as far as signal strength. With my 650 most of the time I was lucky if I got 3 bars for signal strength. In my office sitting at my desk sometimes it would even drop the signal. The 700 I have consistantly has 4 bars and when I'm in my office it drops to 3. I don't have the dropped calls like I had with my 650.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Being an owner of both the 650 and now the 700w, I will admit that the 700w is a MUCH better phone in all aspects: Reception, speakerphone (much clearer and just as loud without having to hack with VolumeCare), bluetooth, etc.

Bars are about the same on both phones, but I get great call reception on the 700w even when my bars aren't full.

Plus, with this being an EVDO device, I'm getting almost all of my calls without them going straight to voicemail.
  6.    #6  
    That's great news! Can anyone else confirm this?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    BNelson is right. The speakerphone I think is far superior to 650. I actually find myself having to turn the volume down now when using the speaker or in calls. And yes when I'm online using EVDO, I get my calls also.
    I cant beleive that you had issues with the 650- on sprints network it is a stellar performer.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    That's great news! Can anyone else confirm this?
    Not sure if the indicator bars are a true reflection of reception strength, but if so, my 700w consistently has 1-2 more bars of strength than my 650. Even in areas where I only get 1 bar of reception on the 700w, I can still conduct calls with no trouble.

But more importantly, the sound quality is much improved on my 700w. My 650 has a "tinny" sound which I can't stand. I started using the 650 a week after Verizon's launch last year, so maybe this has been addressed in later units. Out of the box, the sound quality on the 700w was stellar. Can't comment on speakerphone since I don't use this feature.
    I have to ask what network those of you with 650 radio problems were on? My Sprint 650 has great reception. As one example: last weekend I was watching a playoff game in the basement of a house that's located at the bottom of a valley with pretty steep sides. Mine was the only Sprint phone getting a signal and I had no problem making and maintaing a call. The guy with a GSM Treo kept dropping calls.

As for comparing numbers of bars between different models of phone, that's meaningless. There's absolutely no standard that would allow such a comparison to be meaningful.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    As for comparing numbers of bars between different models of phone, that's meaningless. There's absolutely no standard that would allow such a comparison to be meaningful.
    No there's no standard for a comparison, but when you try to make a call and you can't get a signal and you see that you don't have any bars, it kind of pisses you off. Especially when you are in your home area.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I have to ask what network those of you with 650 radio problems were on? My Sprint 650 has great reception. As one example: last weekend I was watching a playoff game in the basement of a house that's located at the bottom of a valley with pretty steep sides. Mine was the only Sprint phone getting a signal and I had no problem making and maintaining a call. The guy with a GSM Treo kept dropping calls.

I had both a CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (Cingular) Treo 650, and the signal/sound quality of both were pathetic. Almost never a single call without "What did you say?" from both ends. Bars meant nothing (whether 4 or 1) as far as signal/sound quality. At the same time, and same location, my Samsung i500 (Sprint) and Moto v551 (Cingular) worked great. Now I'm on a Cingular 2125 (HTC smartphone WM5) and NEVER get the "What did you say?" on my end or form the other end of the conversation.

I know it's only anecdotal, but I just don't think the T650 has a reliable radio in it compared to the Samsung. Moto, and HTC phones I've used in the same locations. I hope the 700's do, although I wonder if that's a Verizon vs. Other Carriers issue.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Asking a stupid question, but if the bars don't mean anything, how come when I have no bars, I cannot make a call and if get to a spot where I get 1 bar it allows me to dial out? I've been in spots where I would be on a call and the call dropped and I looked at the signal strength and it showed 0 bars. I redial the number and it does nothing. Then I would move to an area where I could get at least 1 bar and it enabled me to make the call. Like I said asking a stupid question.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    Asking a stupid question, but if the bars don't mean anything, how come when I have no bars, I cannot make a call and if get to a spot where I get 1 bar it allows me to dial out? I've been in spots where I would be on a call and the call dropped and I looked at the signal strength and it showed 0 bars. I redial the number and it does nothing. Then I would move to an area where I could get at least 1 bar and it enabled me to make the call. Like I said asking a stupid question.
    He just mean just because you have 4 bars, doesn't mean you'll get a clear call. I think the bars are only an indicator of how likely you are to get disconnected. If you are connected, there is one quality since it's digital.
    I live in Ohio and travel around in Kentucky, Indiana and Michigan. I had a Cingular Treo 650 and loved the phone. It was Cingular that was terrible. I had dropped calls, poor reception, etc. I decided to try out the 700w on Verizon for a couple of days and have decided to cancel my Cingular service. The 700 voice quality has been great. No dropped calls, and people even ask if I got a new phone. My father-in-law asked if I was even on a landline. So, the Verizon network and the 700w make a great combination!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    He just mean just because you have 4 bars, doesn't mean you'll get a clear call. I think the bars are only an indicator of how likely you are to get disconnected. If you are connected, there is one quality since it's digital.
    Actually, what I think he is saying is that you can't compare bars between phones, especially diffferent phones from different manufacturers on different networks. But the guts of what I, and a few others are saying, is that the 650 (I am on Verizon) can't make reliable calls where virtually every other phone can. Of course there are dead spots where no phone works, in populated metro areas, these are few and far between.

It is no BS when I say my 650 was unusable 35% of the time in my office and 98% of the time in the basement of the building. My Moto StarTac and new e815 are 99% reliable in these places. Same goes for a few roads I drive on just west of Boston. I dropped as many calls in the 5 months I used the 650 (four of them, to be exact) as I did in all prior years of cell phone use going back to 1998.

I have never loved and hated a product as much as the 650. I loved the features, form factor, styling, screen, functionality and ease of use. I hated the poor radio, resets and freezes. Drove me batty.
    The 650 is a more than capable device, radio-wise. If you are having reception issues, it's your carrier or current location - not the device. I have used my 650 in elevators and underground. Reception is not a problem. And oh yeah - I am on Sprint.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    Actually, what I think he is saying is that you can't compare bars between phones, especially diffferent phones from different manufacturers on different networks. But the guts of what I, and a few others are saying, is that the 650 (I am on Verizon) can't make reliable calls where virtually every other phone can. Of course there are dead spots where no phone works, in populated metro areas, these are few and far between.

It is no BS when I say my 650 was unusable 35% of the time in my office and 98% of the time in the basement of the building. My Moto StarTac and new e815 are 99% reliable in these places. Same goes for a few roads I drive on just west of Boston. I dropped as many calls in the 5 months I used the 650 (four of them, to be exact) as I did in all prior years of cell phone use going back to 1998.

I have never loved and hated a product as much as the 650. I loved the features, form factor, styling, screen, functionality and ease of use. I hated the poor radio, resets and freezes. Drove me batty.

I guess one thing to look at is the fact that the Treo is an all digital phone, whereas the StarTac and I believe the 815 are trimode phones so they will operate it more areas and have better coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I had both a CDMA (Sprint) and GSM (Cingular) Treo 650, and the signal/sound quality of both were pathetic. Almost never a single call without "What did you say?" from both ends. Bars meant nothing (whether 4 or 1) as far as signal/sound quality. At the same time, and same location, my Samsung i500 (Sprint) and Moto v551 (Cingular) worked great. Now I'm on a Cingular 2125 (HTC smartphone WM5) and NEVER get the "What did you say?" on my end or form the other end of the conversation.

I know it's only anecdotal, but I just don't think the T650 has a reliable radio in it compared to the Samsung. Moto, and HTC phones I've used in the same locations. I hope the 700's do, although I wonder if that's a Verizon vs. Other Carriers issue.
    It is so funny how different people can have entirely different experiences. I am a sprint guy, have been for 7 years and always will be most likely- I would say that the 650 is one of the very best rf performers I have had while the i500 was close to if not the worst.

I dont look at bars either- I am talking about working in an office that id a black hole. The 650 is better than the dozens of other sprint phones I have had.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    How does it sound to other people? I have a bunch of friends that have the Treo 650. I had the Treo 600 (now a V3).

The Treo users all sound like they are talking through a tin can... wtf?
    A buddy just called me last night, he had gotten a 650 last week. Same thing. Went from a decent sound when he had a Nokia something or other to tin can sound with the 650.

I didnt have the heart to tell him. I mean, I could hear and understand what he was saying, but still... really crap overall I think.

The 700 any better?

BTW, I have T-mo. Bars mean crap. I'd get 4-5 bars ALWAYS with Cingular, and dropped calls and stuff like no ones business... V3 didn't even ring in my house with 5 bars. They claim I'm right between 2 towers and apparently the towers get "confused" and send calls to VM... with 5 bars!!!

Anywho, T-mo... always rings, always clear... even when it's one bar. I was amazed by this... so for me, bars mean nothing... just a marketing scam from what I can tell. YMMV.

Thanks
    Jim
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast