1.    #1  
    I just picked up a Verizon XV6700 after using a Treo700 for a week. The XV6700 seemed like the perfect offering, but it is extremely disappointing!

I was very excited when I first saw the XV6700, but after using it for only a few hours, it gets two thumbs down!

Here goes:

- The slide-out keyboard (which seems like the greatest advantage) is the biggest let down. It is actually harder to type because the keys are poorly designed. They are very smooth and your fingers slip when typing. The keys almost seem to merge with each other. The Treo keys, while much smaller, are more spaced apart and much easier to type with.

- The keyboard size is actually a big disadvantage. Because of the width, it is very difficult to type with two hands as your thumbs have difficulty extending back and forth. Forget about one hand typing... That's almost impossible while typing fast.

- After using a Treo for years, it is amazing how crippled you are without the keyboard always available. If you get a text message and want to send a quick reply, you need to slide out the keyboard and type with both hands. Try doing that while driving

- The speakerphone is just plain lousy. It is very low (almost unusable) even on the loudest setting. And the sound quality is very poor.

- I have yet to see a big difference in the screen size in practice. When browsing the web, you still need to scroll a lot as IE does not properly shrink the page, regardless which of the few available views you choose.

- The screens dial pad for the phone has some improvements over the 700, such as on-screen hold, history and speakerphone buttons like on previous Treo's. But this is a software enhancement that is sure to be offered for the Treo700 by 3rd parties shortly (If anyone knows of current 3rd party applications for 700 that resembles the Treo 650's dialer, please post).

- The wifi option is nice if you really need connection speeds higher than Verizon's EVDO, or live in a zone that only supports 1x. But I would rather go with an add-on wifi adapter for the 700. (Verizon's EVDO will be more than adequate for most people. I spent 8 hours the other day tethering my laptop off my Treo700 with PDANET and it worked wonders!).

- I love the voice commands on the Treo, something the XV6700 does not offer.

After all is said, go with Treo700 on all accounts. I am curious if anyone has a more positive review and disagrees on any points.
    Good review....thanks.
    After several days (quite literally) of stressing over which one to keep (I have the 700W and the PPC6700 from Sprint), I've decided to keep the 700W. Here's my review:

The big pluses for the 6700:
    1. larger screen
    2. pullout keyboard (some say this is a negative)
    3. faster processor (416 MHz)
    4. has WI-FI
    5. better camera (colors are MUCH more vibrant, can take panoramic shots and auto-stitch them, can adjust pix quality, picture themes, videos can be captured in 3 different formats including MP4).
    6. has a flash/flashlight. Now if there was a way to turn on the light without having to run the camera app!
    7. The keyboard is pretty good – nice tactile feedback (albiet slightly stiff) and slightly curved keys gives it noticeable separation from other keys. A problem though is that the backlighting does NOT light up everything on the keyboard (i.e. numerics, and other 'shifted' characters).
    8. I like the mini-USB port since its practically universal (its used for both charging and syncing)
    9. Includes a sync-cradle, case, stereo headset

The big downsides are:
    1. mini-sd only -- this is a big no-no for me; I've invested in many SDcards as well as many memory card readers that can't read mini-SD.
    2. not as good of a battery life
    3. The 'joystick' is really hard to get used to.... almost unusable at times
    4. doesn’t look as sexy
    5. not one-hand friendly
    6. power button is at the top which is a little hard to get to. It also looks like it has a power button on the lower-right (same button as the end-call), but this does not turn the phone on/off. I'd rather have it on the front of the device.
    7. speaker isn’t as good as the Treo’s. The 6700's internal speaker is probably smaller as it isn't as loud.... and its also higher-pithed (the Treo provides more of a natural bass)
    8. It looks thick
    9. It would be impossible to make a case that would cover it all up (because of the slid-out keybaord)
    10. It does not lend itself well to taking and making calls.
    11. there is a big delay in updating the images when using the camera (refresh rate is seriously lacking)
    12. It does not have the Palm usability enhancements. And its also harder to surf the net as there is no page-up/page down ability as there is with the 700w.
    13. Because of the slideable keyboard, the top portion (when closed) jiggles a bit making it feel flimsy and cheap. I guess its what you get from having moveable parts.
    14. It does not include MS Voice Command software, which is one of the coolest apps on the 700W.

Now here are my minor gripes with the 6700:
    1. Self-portrait mirror isn't as convex as on the 700W, resulting in not being able to see your whole face.
    2. Antennae is on the right side with the stylus silo inside the antennae. I'd rather have the antennae on the left (like the Treo), and have the stylus somewhere else - its just strange having that stylus in there.
    3. The front buttons are not back-lit except for the call and end-call buttons.
    4. I don't like the slider 'button' on the side - it feels very jagged when you move it up or down - I think its the feel of metel-to-metal grinding that occurs. Again, this makes it cheap.

Well, that just about covers it. I also want everyone to know that I'm NOT a Palm/Treo fan-boy (in fact, I remember myself swearing that I'd never buy a Palm; I only bought it because its Windows powered). The Treo 700W is my very first Palm device and also my very first combination PDA-phone. I've been using PocketPCs since 2001 and have since had 5 such devices with my last being an Axim x50v (most of them were iPAQs).

It may seem that I just went on a bashing spree on the 6700, but the Treo has it's own issues as well. It just has less evils.

And mind you this is not an easy decision to keep the Treo700w. I could potentially save about $40 per month (voice and data) if I'd choose Sprint over Verizon. If Sprint were to have the 700W (they say after 6 months; although Hobbes thinks differently on this), there would be no question which device I would choose.
    Self portrait mirror???

These reviews are great, though. I've been considering maybe getting a 6700 instead. I'm not married to the Treo, but some of the factors you both mentioned here about the 6700 are significant. I love gimmicky stuff, but I mainly use the phone for phone calls and web browsing. Whichever does that best is the one for me. I don't need wifi at all. even if i did I could at an sd wifi card to the treo. I'm still going to at least play with a 6700 in a store this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkorbz
    After several days (quite literally) of stressing over which one to keep (I have the 700W and the PPC6700 from Sprint), I've decided to keep the 700W. Here's my review:

The big pluses for the 6700:
    1. larger screen
    2. pullout keyboard (some say this is a negative)
    3. faster processor (416 MHz)
    4. has WI-FI
    5. better camera (colors are MUCH more vibrant, can take panoramic shots and auto-stitch them, can adjust pix quality, picture themes, videos can be captured in 3 different formats including MP4).
    6. has a flash/flashlight. Now if there was a way to turn on the light without having to run the camera app!
    7. The keyboard is pretty good – nice tactile feedback (albiet slightly stiff) and slightly curved keys gives it noticeable separation from other keys. A problem though is that the backlighting does NOT light up everything on the keyboard (i.e. numerics, and other 'shifted' characters).
    8. I like the mini-USB port since its practically universal (its used for both charging and syncing)
    9. Includes a sync-cradle, case, stereo headset

The big downsides are:
    1. mini-sd only -- this is a big no-no for me; I've invested in many SDcards as well as many memory card readers that can't read mini-SD.
    2. not as good of a battery life
    3. The 'joystick' is really hard to get used to.... almost unusable at times
    4. doesn’t look as sexy
    5. not one-hand friendly
    6. power button is at the top which is a little hard to get to. It also looks like it has a power button on the lower-right (same button as the end-call), but this does not turn the phone on/off. I'd rather have it on the front of the device.
    7. speaker isn’t as good as the Treo’s. The 6700's internal speaker is probably smaller as it isn't as loud.... and its also higher-pithed (the Treo provides more of a natural bass)
    8. It looks thick
    9. It would be impossible to make a case that would cover it all up (because of the slid-out keybaord)
    10. It does not lend itself well to taking and making calls.
    11. there is a big delay in updating the images when using the camera (refresh rate is seriously lacking)
    12. It does not have the Palm usability enhancements. And its also harder to surf the net as there is no page-up/page down ability as there is with the 700w.
    13. Because of the slideable keyboard, the top portion (when closed) jiggles a bit making it feel flimsy and cheap. I guess its what you get from having moveable parts.
    14. It does not include MS Voice Command software, which is one of the coolest apps on the 700W.

Now here are my minor gripes with the 6700:
    1. Self-portrait mirror isn't as convex as on the 700W, resulting in not being able to see your whole face.
    2. Antennae is on the right side with the stylus silo inside the antennae. I'd rather have the antennae on the left (like the Treo), and have the stylus somewhere else - its just strange having that stylus in there.
    3. The front buttons are not back-lit except for the call and end-call buttons.
    4. I don't like the slider 'button' on the side - it feels very jagged when you move it up or down - I think its the feel of metel-to-metal grinding that occurs. Again, this makes it cheap.

Well, that just about covers it. I also want everyone to know that I'm NOT a Palm/Treo fan-boy (in fact, I remember myself swearing that I'd never buy a Palm; I only bought it because its Windows powered). The Treo 700W is my very first Palm device and also my very first combination PDA-phone. I've been using PocketPCs since 2001 and have since had 5 such devices with my last being an Axim x50v (most of them were iPAQs).

It may seem that I just went on a bashing spree on the 6700, but the Treo has it's own issues as well. It just has less evils.

And mind you this is not an easy decision to keep the Treo700w. I could potentially save about $40 per month (voice and data) if I'd choose Sprint over Verizon. If Sprint were to have the 700W (they say after 6 months; although Hobbes thinks differently on this), there would be no question which device I would choose.
    Great review. I too think that I'll pick up a 700-something for Sprint - if the P comes first, I'll take that, otherwise-the W. After my 15-day trial with the 700w, I'm convinced that WM is a more capable alternative.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Hi all -

After reading all the boards, (this one, howardforums, pdaphonehome) I got curious and decided to check out the XV6700 at my local Verizon store. Everyone was talking it up like it was the next best thing since sliced bread. Well....call me crazy....I just don't see it.

Why?

1. It's flat out ugly. It looks generic. It looks like something a UPS driver would carry to scan boxes at a business door. Yuck.
    2. It feels flimsy and cheap. That slide out keyboard felt loose.
    3. The black body showed facial oils. I know this sounds gross, but who wants to continously wipe their phone. Yes, I wash my face daily.
    4. The slide out keyboard seems gimmicky. Who wants to slide that out everytime just to give a short reply??
    5. The soft dialpad. When I DO use my dialpad, I like to use keys. For this reason, the 700 is great. Again, I'm I don't want to slide out a keyboard and use the awkward top keys just to dial a number.
    6. You WILL end up not using your stylus and just tapping the screen. You WILL unknowingly scratch your screen over time by doing this.
    7. Lack of a good 'Today' screen. Palm really made some cool tweaks with the Today screen. I love how I've got pictures of my top contacts on my screen...I just give a quick tap and viola....they're being dialed. Of course I don't have to tap because the Treo is easily used without a stylus....which brings me to my next point....
    8. The Treo 700 has 'one handed' use ability. I LOVE THIS.
    9. Also, the Treo is Trendy. Whether you want to admit it or not, the Treo is a trendy little piece of pop culture. Like the Ipod. Know, giving this...you can bet there will be applications and many accesories to follow.
    10. Resale. I know whenever there is something better to come out....the Treo will quickly sell on Ebay.

I'm no Treo fan boy either. I just Ebayed my Blackberry 7130e to get the 700.

Just my humble opinions....

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    I think overall in conclusion: the vx6700 is a PDA first, phone second, while the 700w is phone first, pda second.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsme123
    I think overall in conclusion: the vx6700 is a PDA first, phone second, while the 700w is phone first, pda second.

while that is true, I think that the 700W is better at being a PDA than the 6700 is at being a phone. I don't even use the phone 'part' of it much; I like it enough as a PDA. Think of it as being a one-handed PDA, with the stylus not even needed.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I was a 650 owner (loved it) got a 700 (hated it) got a vx6700 yesterday and I love it.

The thing that killed the 700w for me was the lack of memory. Everytime I tried streaming audio, or watching TV via Orb I got the dreded out of memory error.

The vx6700 has its issues, but to me it does Windows Mobile better then the 650 and mainly because of the memory issues.
    I used orb several hours yesterday and never got a memory error.
    The EVDO on the 700w is so good that I don't miss the WIFI at all.
    It is fast enough with great coverage where I live, and there is zero configuration required, even after a cold boot!
  12.    #12  
    After using the 6700 for a few days, I have these points to add to my first post:

The screen on the 6700 is a very big plus. There is no comparison to the Treo 700 when viewing email and browsing the web. However, I tried very hard to get to like the device and be happy long-term, but am truly unable to.

Aside from all the above commnts, Treo has really made a lot of great tweaks to the Windows Mobile platform that is only evidnet after seeing that the 6700 doesnt include them. The overall experience is simply much better on Treo. (A big downside to the 6700 - which I am sure is temporary - is the lack of PDANET support)

The 6700 was a nice attempt at improving screen size, but it fell short in too many ways.

The dream machine would be a Treo with the 6700 screen size, and a vertcal slide down keyboard like the Samsung i730 but with the Treo keyboard.

Until that happens, Treo 700w it will be.
    so far, after 1 day, i really like the 6700 better than the 700. but need more time to be sure. I put Voice Command on the 6700 and it makes phone calls VERY easy with one hand. i like the bigger screen and watching TV/videos is more enjoyable, plus you see much more on web pages.

but both are nice phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprint2verizon
    After using the 6700 for a few days, I have these points to add to my first post:

The screen on the 6700 is a very big plus. There is no comparison to the Treo 700 when viewing email and browsing the web. However, I tried very hard to get to like the device and be happy long-term, but am truly unable to.

Aside from all the above commnts, Treo has really made a lot of great tweaks to the Windows Mobile platform that is only evidnet after seeing that the 6700 doesnt include them. The overall experience is simply much better on Treo. (A big downside to the 6700 - which I am sure is temporary - is the lack of PDANET support)

The 6700 was a nice attempt at improving screen size, but it fell short in too many ways.

The dream machine would be a Treo with the 6700 screen size, and a vertcal slide down keyboard like the Samsung i730 but with the Treo keyboard.

Until that happens, Treo 700w it will be.

... I did manage to get PDAnet working just fine on the PPC6700 using the beta for the Treo 700W version. It might be different on Verizon's version of the 6700, however. But I still like the 700w, I already returned my PPC6700 back to Sprint.
    has anyone found any good forums for the windows 5.0 OS???