Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Today I returned my Treo 700w to Verizon and picked up a VX6700 instead.

I was sad to bring back the Treo as I loved my 650 so much, but this thing was locking up on me way too much, Manytimes my phone would ring and I would press enter and the phone would just lock up.

In addition when doing some simple things I would get the dreaded out of memory error all too often.

The rep at Verizon told me they expected a lot of 700's to come back this week in exchange for the VX6700, it has MORE MEMORY, has WIFI, much bigger screen, better keyboard, Faster CPU.... AND IT COSTS A LOT LESS THEN THE 700W!

The VX6700 compaired to the 700w is like night and day, and I have always been a big palm fan, but the 700w seems like a half hearted attempt and for the money the phone is not as good at the 650 was even if the 700's price was changed to half its current price.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    BTW the only thing the VX6700 does not have which I miss greatly from the 700w is the Voice Command software.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottct1

I was sad to bring back the Treo as I loved my 650 so much, but this thing was locking up on me way too much, Manytimes my phone would ring and I would press enter and the phone would just lock up.

In addition when doing some simple things I would get the dreaded out of memory error all too often.

The rep at Verizon told me they expected a lot of 700's to come back this week in exchange for the VX6700, it has MORE MEMORY, has WIFI, much bigger screen, better keyboard, Faster CPU.... AND IT COSTS A LOT LESS THEN THE 700W!

The VX6700 compaired to the 700w is like night and day, and I have always been a big palm fan, but the 700w seems like a half hearted attempt and for the money the phone is not as good at the 650 was even if the 700's price was changed to half its current price.
    That's too bad you had a bad experience. I am having a good one. Its by far the best phone/pda I have owed, and I have owned most. I like the 6700 as well, but the Treo form factor has grown on me as I have owned the 600 & 650.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone

no one can argue that it doesn't have more memory, wifi, a bigger screen, and i suppose a faster cpu. cost? i couldn't tell you one way or the other, the 6700 has been out for some time now. on the other hand, one can easily argue that it doesn't have a better keyboard and whose form-factor makes no sense. remember, it's what works for you, and if you love to slide out a keyboard every time you type a message coupled with rotating the device around, then it's definately for you. have fun with the 6700, it's a fine device.
    had the 6700 on sprint, switched to verizon (.. again) for the 700, wouldnt turn back. Verizons prices are steep compared to the amazing plan i had for sprint, but i have the phone i want and more coverage.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Our business has a bunch of lines on Sprint as well and I got to demo the 6700 for 30 days... other than a nice screen and WM5 I really did not like it... I

I hated dialing on the 6700's screen...and sliding out the keyboard is really not possible with one hand for dialing.

As a PDA I think the 6700 is better but as a phone the Treo 700w win by a long shot in my opinion.
    I returned two Treo 700w phones. It would not wake up, problems with ActiveSync, etc, etc, etc.
    I exchanged for Palm Treo 650. That is working great.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Like Scottct1, I returned my Treo 700w too. We evaluated it for 11 days including traveling to several of our remote clients. Even though we have been working with Smartphones for sometime, it took us a couple of days to get used to Palm’s implementation of WM5. It could be because this was our first PocketPC device we have tried since last summer when we evaluated a GSM version of the Treo 650.

All in all we really liked the phone. EVDO is unbelievable! We had no issues setting up Exchange ActiveSync, it was solid with phone connections and the form factor was more than acceptable for what it provides.

In the end we sent it back because of the lack of coverage here at the home office and the client locations we visited. Later this summer when / if a GSM version comes out we will probably evaluate it again. If you have good Verizon coverage in you area and you are cool with the form factor, then the 700w is about as good as it gets in the WM5 world.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911103,00.asp

"No perfect smartphone solution is available right now, in our eyes. For power, we'd recommend the Sprint PPC-6700 or its Verizon cousin. Both are smaller and lighter than the Treo and have Wi-Fi, a faster processor, and a bigger display than the Treo's, but they aren't quite as usable one-handed. For e-mail and phone use, we like the BlackBerry 7130e, which has a slim form, light weight, and excellent sound quality (though you'll have to be comfortable with its unusual keyboard). And if high-speed networking isn't important to you, well, the Treo 650 is still out there on store shelves."
    Quote Originally Posted by audiofx81
    had the 6700 on sprint, switched to verizon (.. again) for the 700, wouldnt turn back. Verizons prices are steep compared to the amazing plan i had for sprint, but i have the phone i want and more coverage.
    I did the exact same thing and feel the exact same way.
    My 700 Rocks. I switched from a 650 and and O2 XDA mini. I would have stayed with the 650 but it was ridiculously unstable. The palm OS was more intuitive and better at 5-way. Palm users will not really like this device. PPC users will generally love it. The VX6700 look like a nice device but you need to wip out a keyboard to fire off emails and text people. I can do all that with the 700 with one hand. The 700 crushes it as a phone. 6700 is a better pda, but the 700 is a better phone and better overall. Different strokes for different folks I guess
    I actually did the opposite. I made the switch from cingular to verizon(mainly for EVDO) and picked up a xv6700 yesterday morning. By late afternoon, I was returning it and getting a treo 700w. The main issue I had with the xv6700 was that it would not connect to broadband. I spent 1 1/2 hours on the the phone with data support, 1 hour with tech support at the store and no one could get it to work. It locked up twice while trying to do an OTA update via *22899. So I got the treo 700w, did the activesync fix (to make activesync on the phone run manually instead of automatically and eliminating many of the out of memory errors), and it is running very smooth.

btw, the tech rep mentioned that out of the 5 xv6700 they had sold that morning, 4 had been returned, including mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911103,00.asp

"Both are smaller and lighter than the Treo"
    XV6700
    108 x 59 x 25 mm
    Weight 6.1 oz (172 g)

Treo 700w
    112 x 58 x 23 mm
    Weight 6.0 oz (170 g)

Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I've owned about every PPC Phone out there in the past years, as well as the 600 and 650, and the 700w is the best I've had. The Palm enhancements to WM are perfect for my use.

I have over 25 3rd party apps installed, I have only had one low memory message: For PDA Mill's Classic Gems game. I even run memory intense apps like Textmaker and Planmaker on a regular basis. My only gripe is the somewhat slow processor. Memory has not been an issue for me, honestly.

To each their own, but I would never go back to the traditional PPC Phones where you dial on the touch screen. I'm definitely what you'd call a power user, and I've never had a better converged device experience. Using a task switcher/killer like HandySwitcher and a memory cleaning app like Space Reclaimer a few times a day can go a long way in making any WM device run smoothly.
    Can someone tell me the monthly cost for Verizon's unlimited data plan for the Treo 700w ? Thanks! Casey.
    I pay 39.99 for unlimited Data and 39.99 for 450 anytime minutes w/ free nights an weekends.