Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you went from a verizon 650 to the 700w, please indicate below and state if you are glad you made the switch.

and what did you do with your old 650.... ebay??
    I went from the 650 to the 700w and am definitely glad I did. I went from the 600 to the ppc 6600 and hated it. I loved the OS but it was just to unstable for me. But I am loving the 700w.

I havn't done anything with my 650 yet. I will probably sell it on Ebay.
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    I went from the 650 to the 700 (with a stop at Samsung a950 on the way). I love the 700. I sold the 650 on Howardforums.
  4.    #4  
    just curious, how much could you get for your 650?
    I'm still evaluating. I mainly am upgrading for the internet speed, but also because Verizon has some no roaming coverage in some areas that Sprint doesn't. The main thing I don't like about it isn't really a big deal for me that I'll return it for, is that not only is the resolution lower, but the visible screen portion is smaller. There's a black border around the screen whereas the 650 is edge to edge. I only use the screen extensively for anything that would matter for web browsing, so it's not a big deal. You don't really need much of a screen for small emails and phone use.
    I switched from a 650 to the 700 and love it. There is so much more to mess with on the 700. It certainly has its quirks and the memory is a little bit of a PITA to have to actually manage it, whereas in the 650 it was hands off. I love the email sync better. I actually went from a Blackberry 7250 then I gave that to my Mgr. and then got the 650. Then the 700 came out. Got that pre-release and love it. I activated the 650 on an extra family plan line I had sitting idle and gave it to my GF.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eriq35
    There is so much more to mess with on the 700.
    can you clarify what else you are doing with the 700w vs. what you could do with the 650?

my ideas for this list would be 'slingbox tv' which would be good, plus obviously faster internet/DUN. but is there anything else you can really do on the 700w that the 650 doesn't offer?
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    i upgraded my both my treo 650's to 700w's (yesturday) and the jury is still out.. but.. i am running the "not-yet-supported" goodlink on it right now, and it is causing a few issues. so I am trying to keep an open mind...
    I went from a Siemens SX66 from Cingular to a 700w on Verizon. I was very unhappy with Cingular (never should have migrated from AT&T, although i know it had to be done) and ever since the merge i feel they have gone downhill. I went to Verizon and I have only been with them a few weeks. So far so good. I enjoy the faster data speeds, the WM5 platform is very nice and I like think the phone is very nice. Like everyone else i wish the 700 had more RAM but i don't plan on using for much except casual web browsing, email sync and pictures.
    When I said there is so much more to mess with, I mean things like the registry hacks that are available. I had not come across one for POS. there might be one, but not that I found (didnt look real hard though) WI-FI WI-FI WI-FI. Citrix client. Searched high and low for one for Palm but to no avail. WM5 one works decent. Overclocking hte CPU. Can you do that with POS?? not sure. AUTD email without using the wireless sync. That is a horrible corporate solution. I know there are other 3rd party redirectors like Intellisync (which by the way is the same SW that Blackberry uses ) There are lots of other little things, but thre area also a few things i would change too, and miss from my 650. like DirAssistance, and the dialpad as default when I hit the phone button. things like that.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    I've been using a 650 provided by my employer since last year and recently got the 700w (both on Verzion). I've been very pleased with the switch, but I'm partial to Windows over the Palm operating system.

Although the screen resolution is lower on the 700w, it's not as bad as some have made it seem. I love the today screen and voice command is a very useful function. BT recepetion and sound quailty has been excellent with my H700. Overall sound quality is also excellent. My 650 has more of a "tinny" sound when making calls. The 700w does not exhibit the same problem.

I haven't had any memory problems yet, but am keeping an eye on it. I've run the phone, contacts, Windows media, and voice command concurrently and encountered no problems. I am concerned how Goodlink will impact the memory however. I'm waiting until the 700w is officially supported by Good, but am worried about adverse impacts on battery life and memory.

I can't forget to mention how incredible EVDO is. My 650 absolutely crawls compared to my 700w. Paying $44.95 for unlimited data on the 650 is a crime. Paying $44.95 for unlimited data on the 700w is, well, still a crime. But at least my connection speeds are fast (average 500 - 700 kbs in So. Cal).

In all, I've been pleased with the 700w. I've read that others have encountered glitches, but that's the price we pay being early adopters...nothing that future firmware updates can't resolve.
    i went from vz 650 to a i730 (returned, slideout, bulky) to a ppc6601 (liked the screen but didn't care for the poor battery life, size/weight, keyboard, but loved the WM experience) and currently enjoying the T700. i am happy with device, i have no regrets as of this time. i believe that answers the question.

regards
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Had 600 then 650 now 700. I am very pleased with this unit compared to the others, because it's doing what I need it to do without the resets or the lockups I had with the other 2 units.
    Quote Originally Posted by ucsdsig
    I've been using a 650 provided by my employer since last year and recently got the 700w (both on Verzion). I've been very pleased with the switch, but I'm partial to Windows over the Palm operating system.

Although the screen resolution is lower on the 700w, it's not as bad as some have made it seem. I love the today screen and voice command is a very useful function. BT recepetion and sound quailty has been excellent with my H700. Overall sound quality is also excellent. My 650 has more of a "tinny" sound when making calls. The 700w does not exhibit the same problem.

I haven't had any memory problems yet, but am keeping an eye on it. I've run the phone, contacts, Windows media, and voice command concurrently and encountered no problems. I am concerned how Goodlink will impact the memory however. I'm waiting until the 700w is officially supported by Good, but am worried about adverse impacts on battery life and memory.

I can't forget to mention how incredible EVDO is. My 650 absolutely crawls compared to my 700w. Paying $44.95 for unlimited data on the 650 is a crime. Paying $44.95 for unlimited data on the 700w is, well, still a crime. But at least my connection speeds are fast (average 500 - 700 kbs in So. Cal).

In all, I've been pleased with the 700w. I've read that others have encountered glitches, but that's the price we pay being early adopters...nothing that future firmware updates can't resolve.
    i am running goodlink on mine and forcing the 1xrtt network (turning evdo off)...so far so good on battery, i had mine off of the charger from 430am yesterday morning and had 30% left at 8pm at night). i receive hundreds of messages a day. i have not experienced any memory issues, yet.

hope this helps
  15.    #15  
    why turn off evdo??? am i missing something? it's faster than 1xrtt and should provide better battery life for that reason.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    i am running goodlink on mine and forcing the 1xrtt network (turning evdo off)...so far so good on battery, i had mine off of the charger from 430am yesterday morning and had 30% left at 8pm at night). i receive hundreds of messages a day. i have not experienced any memory issues, yet.

hope this helps
    are you noticing any issues with the unit waking up?? I have goodlink and skype running on the device.. I think one of these are making it slow to wake up.. also.. when I look at the screen, I see its sort-of "awake" but no backlite (need to look really close to see it).. it eventually wakes up and then lets me work normally..

Also, I notice even when its in my pocket (like 30 minutes later) the screen is on without the backlite.. I can hit the EndCall button and it fully goes off.. is this normal? the 650 wasnt like that.. maybe I have something set wrong..
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    why turn off evdo??? am i missing something? it's faster than 1xrtt and should provide better battery life for that reason.
    I'm not a Good user, but maybe what he's saying is that Good only supports 1x and not EVDO.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I have goodlink.. basically, the current version of Good is not supported on the 700w yet.. it seems right now, with EVDO on, and since Good keeps an open data channel, your battery gets drained VERY quickly (like 4 hours).. its like surfing the internet with EVDO constantly for 4 hours (at least it seems)..

so, if you disable EVDO ( by dialing #*#3836 and hitting enter) you can disable EVDO and only use 1xrtt. It seems that this is less of a drain on the device and the battery lasts closer to a normal amount.

its not a matter of faster vs. slower.. rather the amount of power/battery in general the EVDO radio consumes just constantly being in on-mode in the first place..

oh.. and this is my understanding of this issue.. I am not an expert in this at all.. I just happen to have the 700w (with goodlink) and I am seeing the same symptoms as well as the temporary resolution by turning off EVDO
    Last edited by jbiz; 01/19/2006 at 03:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    just curious, how much could you get for your 650?
    I got $325 on ebay for mine.
    EVDO worked in Tijuana this weekend. Not that it's a big deal but I just thought that was pretty cool I hear some people say that EVDO isn't available in many areas but here in Southern California I have been off the path a little in Riverside County and haven't had any problems getting EVDO. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work well in the cornfields of Nebraska though. Hehehe...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast