1.    #1  
    What are people using or thinking about using? Microsoft products I'm guessing would be very compatible but there are probably a ton more out there that are BETTER!! Anyone have any thoughts and how to install them?

Thanks in advance
    -P
    TomTom works fine. You need the 5.2x update and install the original version directly from the .CAB files.
    Big C --
    Can you elaborate a bit more on what you like about Tom Tom for the 700w.
    And the update you mention is that located on the Tom Tom website?

Lastly - do you mind sharing when you got yours from? GPS/Mapping is my next addition to my 700w and I like the Tom Tom but not necessarly the price.

--r00t
    Well, the only thing I like about TomTom on the 700 is that it works!!!! LOL...j/k. I mean, I've always liked TomTom and it has given me consistent performance.

The changeover to the 'square screen' will be a challenege for some, but it doesn't bother me. I found it a little easier to use it one-handedly than on the XV6600. Probably b/c the 700 just feels more natural in a one-handed position. The volume is more than sufficient, haven't run into any memory issues, and it does the one thing I've been waiting for...I can turn the 700 off but TomTom will continue to recieve and track my position, updating it instantly when I power the 700 back on. Was a concern for a while b/c my power ports in my vehicle weren't working...just got them fixed last night.

Check out this thread here @ PDAPhoneHome: http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...threadid=63681

The link for the update is there and a little synopsis regarding the install.

EDIT: If I'm not mistaken, there is a larger thread here "Add GPS you won't regret it" (or something like that) and I think there are some other anecdotes regarding other software packages.
    Thanks for the info Big C
    Much appreciated

--r00t
    I have been using mapoplis (www.mapopolis.com) for two years now on the Palm and PPC platform. Most rceently purchased a Treo700W and have found this to be an even better app.

Why do I like it?
    a. Cleveland Ohio based company, I like underdogs
    b. easy to install
    c. flexible maps (county by county with major roads for each state)
    d. I even qualified for a 20% discount when moving from Palm to PPC this week!
    e. customer service was awesome! they even had my account information from two years ago when I first purchased their product and promptly offered me a renewal discount.

Their app is free and demo maps are available with 10 day timeouts to see if you like it.

mjt
    I've been using Mapopolis on my WM devices as well - works great. I haven't connected my 700w to my GPS yet though.
    Add the following to Mapopolis advantages: You can download maps directly to the phone from their website and use them right away. Even at 2-3 megs per (detailed) map, with EVDO it only takes a few seconds. That way you can carry only what you need and download additional maps if your travel plans change.
    This is a dumb question, but does the 700w have GPS built into it? I've got a receiver working via Bluetooth, but it seems like maybe the 700w has a GPS receiver built in. If so, is anyone making their mapping software work with it?

Terry
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryGold
    This is a dumb question, but does the 700w have GPS built into it? I've got a receiver working via Bluetooth, but it seems like maybe the 700w has a GPS receiver built in. If so, is anyone making their mapping software work with it?

Terry
    Yes and no. The issue comes and goes. In short: The GPS unit in your 700 is not compatiable with traditional GPS software. Although, I did see a thread @ HoFo about some Verizon Navigator service. Haven't had a chance to read through it yet...apparently only one of their phones is capable of using the service at this point.