1.    #1  
    Hi all -

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....I owned an I730. I used to tether it to my laptop. Well, I got off of work one day....and received a letter in the mail from the Dark Side. (Verizon) Turns out, they are turning my unlimited data off on my phone. Over use maybe? Well, I did stream some music from time to time....I did download some CD's....but that's about it.

I switched the Blackberry 7130e and added the Blackberry connect for the additional $15.00. I wanted to be safe. Now, with the introduction of the Treo 700, I find myself wondering if it will be another I730 nightmare. Hands down, if they shut my data off....my Treo is worthless.

So, I asked you all this:

1. Do you think there will be a Treo-Connect for $15.00 to allow tethering?
    2. In the mean time, are any of you worried about violating your Terms of service and getting shut down?

Thanks all,

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    Good grief - how much did you download? I've been pulling down ~ 3gb per month since Nov 04 and haven't heard a peep out of Verizon.
    i must admit..i am a bit concerned...
    Really. I average about 1gb/month with peaks around 2.5 gb. Been using NationalAccess/BroadBandAccess for years...PC card, v710, XV6600, now the Treo......I've never recieved any such letter or warning. Now...the real question is were you on a legitimate data plan or were you one of the NA-MOU holdouts?
    I echo Kupe's question. I've used tethering for years on VZW and never had any problems. But then, I don't use it as an ISP. It is just for the rare times I don't have a free and fast internet connection available.
    At least two of these "Verizon sent me a letter" posts on Howard's Forums have been proven bogus - I don't understand why someone would embellish the truth about something like this (unless it's someone from Verizon management trying to reclaim some bandwidth back in a rather underhanded way. ). Hopefully there's some sort of real explanation for the OP's comments.
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Sounds flaky to me. Probably a P2P holdover.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/a...&postid=465989

Check out the i730 forum for more details at pdaphonehome.com
    Assuming this is true, I wonder if Cingular has ever done the same thing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    did they allow you to go to another carrier without hitting you with the 175 fee?
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/a...&postid=465989

Check out the i730 forum for more details at pdaphonehome.com
    I missed that when it came out yesterday - thanks Gex. I wonder what jpurv's monthly use is (he hadn't answered Mark_A_K's question as of this posting).
    uh oh, i was thinking of using this for streaming my slingbox TV to my laptop! anyone else doing this and having any issues?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    Maybe he was using that as his Internet connection for his 10 networked computers and his webserver he was hosting.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    While the letters may be bogus, the one thing to consider is to check your agreement. If you are not allowed to do this then legally they can bill you for it once the realize what happened. You can argue that they didn't tie up the loose end but that will go nowhere. It will probably be resolved in customer service in some fashion instead of any court/collection although it may cost you. It's a risk like anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by nuflat
    Maybe he was using that as his Internet connection for his 10 networked computers and his webserver he was hosting.
    More than likely. Many people have been using their phones as modems over the years with no problems.
  16.    #16  
    I wish it were bogus. In fact, anyone would would like to see the letter, let me know...I will take a scan shot of it and let you see it.

I downloaded CD's and streamed music....that's it.

Arc
  17.    #17  
    By the way...why in the world would I make something like this up??
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanic
    I wish it were bogus. In fact, anyone would would like to see the letter, let me know...I will take a scan shot of it and let you see it.

I downloaded CD's and streamed music....that's it.
    But you still have no idea how much data that involved? One guy over on Howard Forums said the same thing (a little downloading, a little streaming ...) when he supposedly got dinged by Verizon until we found out he had downloaded over 200 GB in one month. - that's like 7 gb per day.

So yes - I'd like to see your letter - and a screen shot of your web page with the data count on it - or another scan of your bill with the data count on it.
    200 GB a month through a PDA?? So he was using his phone as a server or something?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    I wanna see those screen shots too.