1.    #1  
    I've been searching for a great software program that will allow you to view local tv stations and then some but the ones i've seen charge for a monthly service...are there any programs you can view tv that does NOT include a service monthly fee?
    check out Orb.com

and checkout slingbox.com (soon will have mobile and overall easier setup)
    All of these phone companies love to advertise these cool features and then charge you for every damn thing. If you DO find something free, please post.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by djvision
    I've been searching for a great software program that will allow you to view local tv stations and then some but the ones i've seen charge for a monthly service...are there any programs you can view tv that does NOT include a service monthly fee?
    It looks promising. Not as good as slingbox will be for us. At 10$ a month though these charges add up for all the extra features.
    The only free streamer I've come across was PocketStream Pro. Don't quote me on the name, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. Anywho, it was a onetime charge of like $20 or something and use of the software is free. But......your choices are severly limited. Some of the links for radio stations are no longer valid and most of the TV stations were non-english. Haven't even tried it on the 700 yet b/c it just doesn't offer enough to encourage me to give it a go.
    Yeah, I don't see a whole lot of value in trying to watch TV on this thing anyway. I get internet news, email, and everything else. I guess I don't miss TV enough to even consider it, plus I am home by the time NBC Nightly News comes on.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun
    The only free streamer I've come across was PocketStream Pro. Don't quote me on the name, but I'm pretty sure it's correct. Anywho, it was a onetime charge of like $20 or something and use of the software is free. But......your choices are severly limited. Some of the links for radio stations are no longer valid and most of the TV stations were non-english. Haven't even tried it on the 700 yet b/c it just doesn't offer enough to encourage me to give it a go.
    MobiTV was excellent on the 650. Waiting for them to support the 700w
    Did you have to pay? What channels did you get?

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Matt-Helm
    MobiTV was excellent on the 650. Waiting for them to support the 700w
    MobiTV is 10 bucks a month. Orb is free and Slingbox will be free this quarter, hopefully soon!

I'm going with Slingbox and already ordered the hardware.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I have been using ORB the past few days and I am loving it. I can actually change channels on my satellite receiver with it and its FREE.

No I have SatelliteTV no matter where I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Yeah, I don't see a whole lot of value in trying to watch TV on this thing anyway. I get internet news, email, and everything else. I guess I don't miss TV enough to even consider it, plus I am home by the time NBC Nightly News comes on.

Eric
    If the channel selection was there, it might be worthy. Sometimes I have to travel between NJ and NY for meetings so the normal 8 hour day stretches to about 12-14. Wouldn't mind watching TV or listening to radio programming during my down time if there was local content I could enjoy. Pocketstreamer Pro (I checked, the name is correct) did have an MSNBC 'radio station' that went over the major headlines. That was pretty much the only thing I listened to. I might check out this Orb thing though.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    All of these phone companies love to advertise these cool features and then charge you for every damn thing. If you DO find something free, please post.
    I personally hate it when companies charge me for products and services that sound good. After all, it should be free.

As they say, you usually get what you pay for...
    I have had a Slingbox since August and the mobile cllient would be so cool on the 700w. If the Sprint version has more program memory than VZW's, I'll be very interested.

Todd/Indy
    When I try to use orb on my 700w, I am told that it doesn't have enough memory...any suggestions on how to fix this?
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    keep trying-it will close your browser and windows media will open, then go to playlist and play the playlist that you saved-that will do it.

same deal with videos you try and watch with orb-if it doesnt work initially, just try it again-may take a few tries but it always works as long as you have the right ports open.
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I got rid of chat on the phone itself and it worked like a charm, well except that I can't get it to change channels, I think I have the set top box set up wrong, but getting DirecTV this month, so no sense in figuring it out now, and will just have to do it again in a few weeks....
    The music video channel at www.dmvn.com is free, i watch it all the time on my 700w, and there is a free trial on their other channels.

If you have any type of "video in" on your home pc, you can also download Microsoft's free video encoder and stream your own channel(s) to your treo. The 300k upload cap with my isp is more than enough, and i get much more than that with my EDVO as well.

Terminal services runs perfectly on my treo as well (although the screen is much 2 small), so i can remote in and change the channels.

Now if i could only find a "video out" solution for the treo, i could output to the video system in my suv, and my family could watch on the road.
    MobiTV for Windows Mobile Now Available

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/103/C8528/
    http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/30/m...ws-mobile-5-0/

Friday June 30, 2006 4:06 PM EST - By: Dave White
    Source: engadget.com

MobiTV is now available for Windows Mobile devices. It's about time, too.

Mobile TV is dominating the tech airwaves these days, and it's only natural that Windows Mobile phones and smartphones be able to take advantage of the new technology. If you have one of these devices, you know what I mean.

Speaking of which, you should check the list of devices that actually work before you take the MobiTV plunge. The press release is kind enough to limit the capable devices to a small handful, processing power and video chipset could be why they don't extend the functionality to all devices that run on 5.0. Word has it that the latest Treo, a Sprint, two Cingulars, and a Motorola Q are on the short list.

If you do end up having a supported device or find out that your unlisted one does indeed work, you'll be able to enjoy streaming signals and enhanced programming, both network and MobiTV-specialized. Your initial experience might be with a smaller picture, but full-screen viewing is available. You'll probably appreciate the touchscreen or pen-based navigation as well, since the last thing you want to do when you have a long list of channels to choose from is use a scroll wheel or something.

And to save you from bankruptcy, MobiTV was kind enough to warn us; "We strongly recommend you have an unlimited data plan with your carrier before using MobiTV."