Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Is the Wireless Sync Application only used to set up with Microsoft Exchange Servers? .... or can it be set up to wirelessly sync with my Home Outlook Calender, etc.

plus is there anyway to get rid of the Wireless Sync small Red arrow icon which wastes space on the Today screen at the bottom right corner?
    thx
    There are two pieces to WirelessSync - one on your treo, and one you install on a PC.
    The piece on the treo communicates with www.wirelesssync.vzw.com.
    The piece on the PC (PCMonitor) pushs email, contacts, calendar, tasks to www.wirelesssync.vzw.com.
    www.wirelesssync.vzw.com can also be configured to pull email from POP/IMAP accounts.

One things (email. contact, calendar, tasks) are on www.vzw.wirelesssync.com they are immediately pushed to your treo.

This sounds slow, but in practice changes appear within seconds. The exception being POP/Imap mail which is only pushed every 15 minutes.

If you use exchange it is a good solution for many people to have push mail.

Contrary to what you may read (or be told by VZW tech support) IT DOES NOT SYNC WITH OUTLOOK AT ALL!!!!!! This is a pet peeve of mine, if you can't tell.
    The reason people believe this, is becuase when installing PCMonitor, it will tell you it requires Outlook. And it does. But not because it's ever going to read the data in the Outlook installed on the machine. It only requires outlook because it relies on some of the outlook libraries to communicate with Exchange.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    pdagolfer - thanks for the great explanation! makes much more sense.
    One more question - I didn't purchase an SMS/txt msg package from Verizon. Does using WirelessSync cost $ each time you use it? (I have unlim data though)
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    WS does not use SMS for this and most other phones. Your data plan is all you need. According to VZW there was a bug with the i730 where SMS was needed.
    WirelessSync doesn't use SMS. It is true push. According to the tech I spoke with at IntelliSync (who actually makes the product and operates the wirelesssync website) email is pushed from the www.wirelesssync.vzw.com to the phone via SMTP.

Not sure I believe that, but that's what he claimed.
    Quote Originally Posted by pdagolfer
    One things (email. contact, calendar, tasks) are on www.vzw.wirelesssync.com they are immediately pushed to your treo.
    Contrary to what you may read (or be told by VZW tech support) IT DOES NOT SYNC WITH OUTLOOK AT ALL!!!!!!
    So how does the data get to www.vzw.wirelesssync.com if not from outlook?

Also exactly what is on www.vzw.wirelesssync.com ? All contact , calander, tasks & emails. What about other data ex, word docs, etc?
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    It syncs up with you Treo so everything is pulled from the treo and then synced with the wireless sync. If you have a pop3 account setup, it automatically receives email to the site which in turn sends it to your device. So If you setup the wireless sync and don't do the first sync with it that it needs, none of your contact, appts etc get synced up with the treo. As far as other data it only syncs the basic contact calendar, tasks, and I think notes.
    If you are using the wireless sync, is there any need to use the active sync that was installed on the start cd.
    I only use IMAP email and don't have exchange server, so in my case, it makes most sense to uninstall wireless sync, which saves me space and should make things a bit faster.
    WirelessSync gets PIM (contacts, tasks, calendar, notes) from either exchange or notes. Or in theory, you could just manage all that stuff at the www.wirelesssync.vzw.com site. (Though I wouldn't do it.)

If you only have IMAP/POP3, wirelesssync is still an option for pushing mail, though I'm not sure I would use it just for that. I'd probably opt for more memory -- if it was more usable RAM.

A copy of all data (email. contacts, calendar, tasks, notes) is stored on the wirelesssync website, an then synchronized back and forth in real time between exchange/notes & your treo. It sounds clunky, but in practice I find it works great - usually takes 2-3 secs - though it can be difficult to get configured initally.

Another bonus of the data being on the website is I send an email, lookup a number, etc if I happen to be somewhere with internet but not data signal. Or if I forget my phone, charger, etc.

It's not for everyone, but it's worth investigating.
    Also note that Wireless Sync has three or four different configuration scenarios:

They can be broken into two main categories - the web Hosted model (as discussed above) and also a behind the firewall full blown enterprise server option.

The hosted model has three options:
    First scenario is when the company uses Exchange/Notes, etc:
    1a. Working with Exchange, on an individual basis - where your PC needs to be on and connected, running the PC Monitor service, sending your Exchange info (mail, mtngs, contacts, etc) to the hosted website, which in turn pushes the data instantly to your device.
    1b. Working with Exchange, on a departmental basis - where SOME pc in the company (not yours, necessarily) stays on and connected, acting as the proxy for up to 20 folks, sending Exchange account info over to the hosted web service, instant push, etc.
    Second option in the hosted model is POP/IMAP access -
    2. You go to the hosted website, enter your server settings there (not on your device, like most other mail clients - Snapper, VersaMail, etc) - and then your device, again, uses its mail client (Mobile Outlook on the 700w, their own mail app on the 650) to receive mail (only - nothing else) from that website.

The final option is a behind the firewall server that the IT guys manage. Has all the usual security stuff like device remote kill/wipe/password enforce, blah blah.

Most folks just think WS is only an individual redirector, but it's that and more. It's a very viable solution for enterprises, esp with the server option. But - since the 700w can connect right to Exchange, those users probably wouldn't need WS.

Lots of options out there these days.
    Is there an email address that will drop the email directly in the www.wirelesssync.vzw.com mailbox?

I'd like to speed up the 15 min polling process & just have my pop3 mail server forward a copy of the email as soon as it comes in.

I've tried creating emails to myphonenumber@wirelesssync.vzw.com.. etc.

Any ideas?
    Some help here, please.

I would like to set something up on my machine at work that pushes my email to my treo 700. We use exchange over here. What I'd like to do is just set something up on my desktop that automatically pushes the email to me, without having to get the IT dept involved in doing something directly with the exchange server.

Is wirelesssync from Verizon the best option for doing this? This is the only email account I want pushed to me. I've seen other talk about AUD (?) and other push programs, and I just want to make sure I'm using the best one for what I need before I start fiddling with this.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    Some help here, please.

I would like to set something up on my machine at work that pushes my email to my treo 700. We use exchange over here. What I'd like to do is just set something up on my desktop that automatically pushes the email to me, without having to get the IT dept involved in doing something directly with the exchange server.

Is wirelesssync from Verizon the best option for doing this? This is the only email account I want pushed to me. I've seen other talk about AUD (?) and other push programs, and I just want to make sure I'm using the best one for what I need before I start fiddling with this.

Thanks in advance.
    Wireless Sync will do exactly that. Just what you're seeking.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    In my opinion Verizon's Wireless Sync does not work very well. Others have stated some success using it but after extensive tests it does not work as well as the built in server Activesync (using AUTD) and certainly is not as good as Direct Push.

Save yourself a lot of time and grief and look into using AUTD today knowing that Direct Push is just around the corner.

I'm sure others can help you get up to speed...or do a search to find out more.

(sorry for sounding so direct and matter of fact…just trying to save you some time….and I guess im loosing a bit of patience and getting cranky in my old age Someone should start an FAQ…)
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyrrus
    Is there an email address that will drop the email directly in the www.wirelesssync.vzw.com mailbox?

I'd like to speed up the 15 min polling process & just have my pop3 mail server forward a copy of the email as soon as it comes in.

I've tried creating emails to myphonenumber@wirelesssync.vzw.com.. etc.

Any ideas?
    I wish...it would be more usable if this was the case...but alas you do not get an email address with VZW wireless sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    Save yourself a lot of time and grief and look into using AUTD today knowing that Direct Push is just around the corner.
    Is the direct push where IT will have to install something on the Exchange server (ala Blackberry) to push the content out? I think I may be a bit of a guinea pig here at work, so if using AUTD is a sort of "first step" towards a full direct push on the Exchange server, I guess I'll want to get up to speed on that.

Thanks for your advice.

Should be fun. While I tire of the Windows interface, I love how people have found hacks and workarounds for many of the annoying features of that system. Now if only MiniMo (Firefox or any other good browser alternative) was available for WM5. Hmmm............
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Direct Push for Exchange 2003 is built in if they have applied SP2 to Exchange server 2003. We are waiting for an update to the 700w for it to support it.

If IT has not yet applied SP2 to Exchange 2003 you can still use AUTD. SP2 was the update that added the Direct Push feature to Exchange 2003. The original release of Exchange 2003 introduced AUTD.

Here... I made a video for you :
    http://wm.microsoft.com/ms/exchange/..._demo_300k.wmv
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    Is the direct push where IT will have to install something on the Exchange server (ala Blackberry) to push the content out? I think I may be a bit of a guinea pig here at work, so if using AUTD is a sort of "first step" towards a full direct push on the Exchange server, I guess I'll want to get up to speed on that.

Thanks for your advice.

Should be fun. While I tire of the Windows interface, I love how people have found hacks and workarounds for many of the annoying features of that system. Now if only MiniMo (Firefox or any other good browser alternative) was available for WM5. Hmmm............
    If your organization supports OWA (Outlook Web Access), you should be able to get started now, without having to wait for IP Push - you'll use an SMS trigger instead of IP, for now. Here's what you need to do:

(all this assumes your IT group has upgraded their Exchange server to 2003, running Service Pack 2)

First and foremost - you'll be able to do 99% of these tasks just with the navigator - put away that stylus!!

Start button

Programs

ActiveSync

Menu/Add Server Source

Enter your OWA URL (something like 'companyname-owa.com) - withOUT the http:/ stuff

Check SSL box

Next

Enter your User Name and Password that you use to logon to Windows domain

Check save password

Finish

Run one manual sync

After that - you'll be able to set up the automatic SMS push

Now we'll set up the SMS push process:

(still in Active Sync)

Menu

Schedule

Peak Times - scroll and select 'As Items Arrive' - this was not an option before
    Set off peak times as the same

Tap (yes, you have to tap here) 'Set up device to sync when new items arrive'

Provider: Other (use this - that's critical)

Enter your 10-digit phn#@vtext.com

That's it!! You'll now receive email instantly on your 700w withOUT having to wait for MSFP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast