1.    #1  
    i'm a goodlink user, it pushes data on a real-time basis. if the data network isn't communicating constantly the email is delayed in being pushed to the device.

why isn't the EVDO network always on? i've seen the reg hack threads, i suppose i might have to try that.

my old treo 600 and 650 didn't have EVDO and Goodlink pushed email on an immediate basis. do you think the problem is with the EVDO radio not being on, constantly? or do you think it is a Goodlink/Treo 700 problem? perhaps i will call Goodlink as well.
    The registry hack is exactly what you need.

I have no idea why a hack is needed to obtain functionality that should come right out of the box...
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Robber....i'm trying to figure out why the difference between WM3 and WM5...my ppc 6601 was always on (WM3), this device isn't. i'm also wanting to understand what triggers the random radio connection (does it by itself but on a random basis from what i can gather).

thanks again
    I have my EVDO turned off and I get all my Goodlink emails with no delay.
  5.    #5  
    interesting....now with EVDO turned off i am receiving my emails instaneously....what i'm sensing is that i either have to have evdo on all of the time (registry hack) or have it turned off.

any ideas as to why it is functioning this way? goodlink was no help, said they wouldn't be offering support until late feb or early march.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/17/2006 at 04:38 PM.
    When EVDO is off, you are likely using 1XRTT which is the exact same network you t600/650 used. Hence the same behavior.
    If this is the case then wouldn't voice calls coming in at the time a data connection is made for email reception force calls to voicemail? Whereas, if EVDO was transmission of choice voice calls would go through and data session would stop. Would this EVDO principal apply to push-email behavior as it does to internet browsing?

Quote Originally Posted by pdagolfer
    When EVDO is off, you are likely using 1XRTT which is the exact same network you t600/650 used. Hence the same behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    interesting....now with EVDO turned off i am receiving my emails instaneously....what i'm sensing is that i either have to have evdo on all of the time (registry hack) or have it turned off.
    How do you turn EVDO off??
  9.    #9  
    not sure if this helps, but:
    -the device is set to 1xrtt
    -i still receive phone calls
    -i receive my goodlink emails instaneously
    -i am not experiencing any turning on/off of the backlight
    -when i access the internet it stays on the 1xrtt signal

still not understanding why EVDO is hanging up or not constantly on as it was on my old WM3 device. is this the case with i730's?

thanks
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wwilson
    How do you turn EVDO off??
    dial #*#3836

to turn it both on/off.

regards
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    not sure if this helps, but:
    -the device is set to 1xrtt
    -i still receive phone calls
    -i receive my goodlink emails instaneously
    -i am not experiencing any turning on/off of the backlight
    -when i access the internet it stays on the 1xrtt signal

still not understanding why EVDO is hanging up or not constantly on as it was on my old WM3 device. is this the case with i730's?

thanks
    i was wrong. i cannot hear the "ringer" on the phone while "reading" an email via goodlink.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Goodlink has not been officially released for the 700w yet, and the behavior you are seeing with EV-DO is a big part of the reason - see this thread: http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...d.php?t=103710. Good says that this is not just a Goodlink issue and will be completely resolved with the first ROM update of the 700w. They refer to the problem as "data stalls."

I'm running the current (4.7) release of Goodlink on my 700w using EV-DO and it seems to work pretty well.
    any idea when that ROM update will be available and how do u get it?? will that help keep pdanet connections open??
    Can anyone address this? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    If this is the case then wouldn't voice calls coming in at the time a data connection is made for email reception force calls to voicemail? Whereas, if EVDO was transmission of choice voice calls would go through and data session would stop. Would this EVDO principal apply to push-email behavior as it does to internet browsing?
    Can anyone address this? Thx.
    Here is the deal. When a voice call comes in and;

You are actively downloading with a 1xRtt connection- call goes to voicemail

You are actively downloading with an EVDO connection- the download is suspended and the phone rings. (This process takes a few seconds)

I'll define "download" as an active data connection (web, email, whatever may be coming in or going out)

None of the above has anything to do with the always-on data hack. NOTHING! The always on data hack does not keep a constant data stream open (that would kill the battery and send all calls to VM in 1x mode) All the always on hack does is prevent you from dialing up and signing in to the network each time you have a need for data. If you have an app that needs to access data the connection will be ready for it-instead of having the dial-up process.

The other thing to keep in mind in regards to push email is that the data connection only becomes active when there is a new message waiting- push does not require the device to poll a server every x minutes- so if there is no new mail- there is no data connectivity.

When there is new mail- the data connection becomes active for maybe 5 seconds to get the message, so you would need to get a ton of email messages throughout the day for this to become an issues even with a 1x connection.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Thanks, I appreciate your prompt response and explanation. So, as I understand it, an active EVDO data connection can be interrupted by a voice call. In contrast, a similar 1xRTT connection would not get interrupted and hence the voice call would go into vm.

Follow-up. If the always-on hack is enabled and you receive a voice call, would you be able to return to your data session without an EVDO "reconnection" or would the radio just stop the data transmission to accept the voice call (rather than turn itself off) and you can resume your web browsing, etc. where you left off?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by robber
    Here is the deal. When a voice call comes in and;

You are actively downloading with a 1xRtt connection- call goes to voicemail

You are actively downloading with an EVDO connection- the download is suspended and the phone rings. (This process takes a few seconds)

I'll define "download" as an active data connection (web, email, whatever may be coming in or going out)

None of the above has anything to do with the always-on data hack. NOTHING! The always on data hack does not keep a constant data stream open (that would kill the battery and send all calls to VM in 1x mode) All the always on hack does is prevent you from dialing up and signing in to the network each time you have a need for data. If you have an app that needs to access data the connection will be ready for it-instead of having the dial-up process.

The other thing to keep in mind in regards to push email is that the data connection only becomes active when there is a new message waiting- push does not require the device to poll a server every x minutes- so if there is no new mail- there is no data connectivity.

When there is new mail- the data connection becomes active for maybe 5 seconds to get the message, so you would need to get a ton of email messages throughout the day for this to become an issues even with a 1x connection.
    Follow-up. If the always-on hack is enabled and you receive a voice call, would you be able to return to your data session without an EVDO "reconnection" or would the radio just stop the data transmission to accept the voice call (rather than turn itself off) and you can resume your web browsing, etc. where you left off?

Cheers!
    This question really has nothing to do with the always on hack because if you are browsing/downloading etc you are already signed in. (which is really all the hack does) So in either case (hack enabled or not) the EVDO connection will suspend for the call and then re-engage after you hang up. Since the 700w is a multitasking device this should occur fairly seamlessly as the device does not have to close the web browser to start the phone app.
    [QUOTE=illustreous]Thanks, I appreciate your prompt response and explanation. So, as I understand it, an active EVDO data connection can be interrupted by a voice call. In contrast, a similar 1xRTT connection would not get interrupted and hence the voice call would go into vm.QUOTE]

Correct. The reason is fairly simple. EVDO uses a seperate radio unlike 1x which shares the primary CDMA radio. The EVDO radio has the ability to talk/check to the CDMA radio (something like 100 time every second-dont quote me though-) and when the CDMA radio goes into active status (the call) the EVDO radio automatically suspends itself.