Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've been struggling to get this to work. I'm able to setup a partnership between my desktop and the phone. Both can see each others services. But when I try to Activesync I get an error "unable to open com port" I've tried manually setting a com port on the desktop per the help instructions in Activesync but it still returns the same error. I've tried setting Activesync to use both the "bluetooth" option and the com ports by number.
    Bump.

Anyone who has this working, can you describe what it is like? I'm having similar problems as others with ActiveSync via USB no longer working, wondering what happens if I drop $40 on a Bluetooth USB adapter for my desktop. Does it automatically initiate a sync when the devices detect one another? Does it function just like regular ActiveSync via USB (when it works)?
    I have it working and it works well. Once everything is paired and the relationship exists. You initiate the connection from the menu in Active Sync on the device (Connect via Bluetooth). Once you kick it off, it keeps everything sync'd until you get out of range and lose the connection. Same as if you leave it plugged in. Note that I'm getting much better than the advertised 30 feet of range, maybe double that. If I go to lunch (and thus break the connection) I need to select the Connect via Bluetooth again. Hope that helps.
    Jeffcdo-

Note that you need to have both the computer and the phone set to the SAME come port. You specify the connection by com port NOT by using the "Bluetooth" setting
  5.    #5  
    I'm able to set up a partnership between the PC and phone. I've set the com ports to match (com 7 in my case) both on the phone and within ActiveSync on the PC. However when I open ActiveSync on the phone and manually try to initiate a sync I get an error message "Cannot find an existing Bluetooth partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync".
    i just spent $40 on a bluetooth adapter and i cant for the life of me get this dumb thing to work. i know that my computer recognizes my phone but i cant get my sync to find my phone. i noticed that anytime i link up my bluetooth, i get a network to pop up, but it seems to have a red X through it. am i not doing this correctly? please help. i am getting so frustrated that i cant sync my phone. arr
    I got my bluetooth to work by following Hazymat's guide: Here Excerpt:
    Thanx to a Hazymat over on xda-dev I managed to get it all working, his guide, for anyone else finding this:-

1) On your computer, go into bluetooth settings. Check bluetooth is ON and set to discoverable. Add an incoming COM port, eg. COM5.
    2) On ActiveSync on your computer, go into connection settings. Tick all the boxes. If the COM port is greyed out, untick it, close the settings box, go back in, now tick it and set the COM port to eg. COM5.
    3) On the K Jam go into bluetooth settings, and remove the connection to your computer.
    4) On your K Jam go into ActiveSync, click 'menu' > 'connect via bluetooth' then you should see a message saying 'cannot find an existing bluetooth partnership with a PC that supports ActiveSync. Would you like to set up a partnership now?'
    5) Click YES - you are taken to the Bluetooth settings screen.
    6) Now click 'new partnership. As soon as you do this, the K Jam will search, and as long as your computer has bluetooth discoverable turned on, your computer will eventually be displayed. Check the computer name showing on the K Jam is the same as the name you gave the bluetooth profile on your computer.
    7) On K Jam, click your computer name then NEXT.
    Now enter a passcode - any four digit number (remember it) then next
    9) When you do this, your computer will pop up with a message saying "a bluetooth device is requesting authorisation". Open this message and type in the code that you gave the K Jam. The next screen on the computer will tell you that it was successful - click FINISH.
    10) Back on the K Jam, the screen will now be showing the services available. AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOWED STEP 1 and 2, ActiveSync will be an option, and you need to tick this and press FINISH on the K Jam.
    11) Close bluetooth settings, now in ActiveSync screen click MENU > Connect via bluetooth. Your ActiveSync program on the computer should eventually pop up and connect.

The only port you worry about is the incoming pc one. Active Synch does the rest. You must see acitivesync as a service when you connect. I did not see it until I updated my Toshiba Bluetooth stack from thier website. Creating other ports can stop the synch from working.
  8.    #8  
    Bingo! Thank you Emersk! Your instructions worked like a charm for me. At last!
  9. djc
    i followed all those steps above (numerous times I might add...) and on step 10, the only option that ever comes up is 'serial port'. No activesync.

I created a server com port on the computer, com1. Set activesync to use com1. No go. Set activesync to use bluetooth. no go.

ideas?
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    I am going to buy a USB BT adapter today (can't find my old one) - to get my 700w friggin synced.

Anyway, the only one at BestBuy is the Kensington Bluetooth 2.0 adapter (I have a gift card, so I will use it here). Any recommendations on particular BT adapters, or does it matter? thx
  11.    #11  
    I'm using a Linksys USBBT100 successfully

djc I'm not sure how to help. I didn't have any luck until I followed the instructions posted by Emersk very carefully step by step. I chose the com port and not "bluetooth" as the option within Activesync. Perhaps try a port other than COM 1? That number is so low it would seem to invite a conflict with something.
  12. djc
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffcdo
    I'm using a Linksys USBBT100 successfully

djc I'm not sure how to help. I didn't have any luck until I followed the instructions posted by Emersk very carefully step by step. I chose the com port and not "bluetooth" as the option within Activesync. Perhaps try a port other than COM 1? That number is so low it would seem to invite a conflict with something.
    Jeff, thanks for your reply.

I have tried quite a few com ports... ones I have created and ones that existed. I'm out of ideas
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    I am going to buy a USB BT adapter today (can't find my old one) - to get my 700w friggin synced.

Anyway, the only one at BestBuy is the Kensington Bluetooth 2.0 adapter (I have a gift card, so I will use it here). Any recommendations on particular BT adapters, or does it matter? thx

I bought and tried the Kensington today. Despite downloading their newest software and tweaking for over an hour, also with Kensington, VZ, and Palm tech support, I could not get it to work. It paired but I could not get it to recognize activesync (despite matching com ports and all the tips given in this forum). Finally, the level2 tech said "what adapter are you using." I answered Kensington and he said "that's your problem. Won't work." He recommended the ones on the website - D-link and Belkin. I've also heard that the Linksys works too.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russmd
    I bought and tried the Kensington today. Despite downloading their newest software and tweaking for over an hour, also with Kensington, VZ, and Palm tech support, I could not get it to work. It paired but I could not get it to recognize activesync (despite matching com ports and all the tips given in this forum). Finally, the level2 tech said "what adapter are you using." I answered Kensington and he said "that's your problem. Won't work." He recommended the ones on the website - D-link and Belkin. I've also heard that the Linksys works too.
    I actually used the Kensington CD that came with the BT adapter which worked fine, and DID get my 700w to pair and sync (tried different COM ports, and did NOT use Bluetooth setting on the computer)....BUT I still had the SAME problems syncing with BT and USB...so I had to HARD reset last night (and painfully reinstall and set all settings back up again --- though it was much faster the third time around) - now things are running smoothly again after the hard reset.... we will see how long this would last.
    During setup, after your 700w found the desktop computer, did you get a screen on the 700 regarding services found? I got a checkbox named "serial port" but could not get 'activesync." I tried different com ports for AS on the desktop, and it WAS listed under local services on the Kensington configuration manager. Did you have to add an incoming com port under com ports on the 700w? I tried that too with no go.
    Lastly, I did try the CD software first but had the same problem. After I set-up the CD software, besides the blue bluetooth icon in my system tray, I had a network icon with a redX thru it - "bluetooth device - a network cable is unplugged." Do you have that or did you? Fixes?
    Thanks,
    Russ
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russmd
    During setup, after your 700w found the desktop computer, did you get a screen on the 700 regarding services found? I got a checkbox named "serial port" but could not get 'activesync." I tried different com ports for AS on the desktop, and it WAS listed under local services on the Kensington configuration manager. Did you have to add an incoming com port under com ports on the 700w? I tried that too with no go.
    Lastly, I did try the CD software first but had the same problem. After I set-up the CD software, besides the blue bluetooth icon in my system tray, I had a network icon with a redX thru it - "bluetooth device - a network cable is unplugged." Do you have that or did you? Fixes?
    Thanks,
    Russ
    Russ-
    I did follow the detailed BT instructions posted above by Emersk-
    Initally, I also did NOT see "Activesync" as a checkbox on my 700w (Only saw "serial port" and "Handsfree".
    After changing the COM port option on the computer in Activesync Settings to another COM port by trial and error, and then clicking "Refresh" on the 700w on the screen that has "serial port" checkcircle, the Activesync checkcircle finally showed up.
    If you look on your BT icon on the bottom right of the Computer, it should say which COM port was identified when pairing with the Treo. I matched this COM port # with the setting in Activesync settings (Mine turned out to work with COM 4).
    Hope this helps. So far, (after hard resetting), I have successful syncs with both USB (but it takes forever), and BT (seems to identify changes faster).
    Finally, success, after a lot of tinkering and phone calls to Belkin and Palm. I traded in my Kensington adapter for the Belkin adapter listed on the Palm website (compatible) after the guy at Palm told me it definitely wouldn't work (but yours did!). I installed the Belkin per Belkin's instructions - but of course, the messages I got during the installation bore no resemblance to what was in their manual. A Belkin tech walked me through it, downloading and updating drivers, etc. Adapter installed fine, wouldn't connect with ActiveSync. Tried all the com port recommendations and eveything, no luck. Called Palm - friendly & knowledgeable tech answered almost right away (I fainted). He said "do you have XP sP2?" I said yes. He said to uninstall all the Belkin software I just spent an hour installing - you must use SP2's built-in bluetooth drivers. I said "are you sure?" He was. OK, I did that. Rebooted. Plugged in the Belkin dongle - error recognizing it! Looking in device manager, yellow exclamation mark. Looking through finally came up with a message that drivers were corrupt or missing. I'm sure messing around with the Belkin install/uninstall messed up the MSFT drivers. Shoot! Wait, I created a system checkpoint right before I started the bluetooth stuff! I restored from that. It worked! I inserted the dongle and got the tones and icon. Installed fine. Went thru the steps on the Palm website for bluetooth activesync. Didn't work right off the bat as described - I manually had to go into system-Bluetooth and create the partnership, but lo and behold - a connection and successful sync. Note that in activesync on the desktop, it worked set on Bluetooth right away; I didn't have to mess with com ports as others have described. I did have the bluetooth activesync conduit installed. Of course the system restore messed up my McAfee, but that just took an online reinstall and is now working.
    Take home messages:
    1. SYSTEM CHECKPOINTS can be a saviour.
    2. Don't install any bluetooth software if you're using SP2. I'll bet my Kensington would have worked had I not installed their software.

Hope some of this helps someone.
    Russ
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    Holy ****ing ****.

I have never loved this forum moreso than I do at this particular moment

Thanks for the BT help
    All works great ... until I reboot my PC .... then the Treo can't connect again ....
    I just got a newer laptop from work, and it has Bluetooth. I thought all was well, when we went and turned the computer on, and it automatically recognized my Treo. I get home to try to get it to sync, and all sorts of problems occurred.

I was finally able to get my Treo to sync with a laptop via the USB cable, but when I went to go to set it up for Bluetooth, it didn't work.

After calling Palm and Toshiba, I realized that the COM Port that the Bluetooth is set on in the computer is on COM40. AciveSync only goes up to COM20. There's the problem. I need to get the computer to recognize the BT COM Port to anything less than 20. Does anyone have ANY clue as to how to get it to work? The guy at Toshiba didn't think there was, but there's gotta be a way to make it work. At least I can sync now with the USB, but hey, I have Bluetooth, and I want to use it

Thanks in advance.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast