1.    #1  
    Guys,

I have done some testing with my Treo700 and have discovered that if you leave the EVDO radio on all day, required by TRUE push Email to work, the devices battery will be completely dead and unusable before the day is over if you do not recharge the device. I did take a couple of short calls during the test.

The EVDO radio speed is great, but like all things (Fast Laptops Etc.) you pay a price for that speed in the form of Battery life.

Unless Palm or someone else resolves the Battery life issues TRUE push Email is not going to be feasible on these devices. So we had better start looking at out of band PSUEDO push email applications that use SMS messages to trigger the radio on and off.

I have been using the AUTD feature of Exchange 2003 and it seems to work okay, the only problem is sometimes it leaves the EVDO radio on after performing a SYNC. I am assuming that it is doing this in case you want to use the radio, but ALAS once again you can see a detriment to battery life.

My Treo 600 and 650 used to run Goodlink for 24 Hours with the radio on the entire time with acceptable battery life.

I am wondering if this may be part of the hold up for Goodlink and other push technologies on this device?

Doug
    I don't have EV-DO in my area yet but with the regular 1xRTT I was getting paltry battery life with some 20+ emails a day until I cut down on the screen notifications and the sound notifications. After that it was fine, I am barely using any battery life. I haven't ported my number over yet so this is strictly data usage on the battery.
    Dhegge, good day to you. I am currently running Goodlink on my new Treo 700 and it is working properly. I am not experiencing any battery issues at the moment but the test is yet to come (tomorrow) given that today was a market holiday. If I'm not mistaken, the number of transmissions can affect batterly life (today I received 25 as opposed to the hundreds that I will receive tomorrow) so today wasn't a fair comparison.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Not sure what you mean by "true push email". Are you using a Good client?

EVDO is available in my area and my 700w is setup for Exchange Activesync via SMS messages. After 13 hours gone from the house the phone has only used 25% - 35% of the battery. I consider that pretty respectable.
    I was wondering the same thing, and I ran the Reg. hack to leave the radio on all day I have had it on all day (well most of the work day and still now) and my battery is at 65% and I just got off a 1hr call, made a couple other calls and have not charged it since I made hte reg hack this late AM. I have it configured for AUTD with my E2k3 SP2 server and get close to 100 messages a day as the Net. Eng. I have not experienced the battery issues I expected and you describe
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    It will get even better with "Direct Push" when it comes out as the SMS causes the phone to fully wake up and even turn on the screen (at least it did on the i730, have not tested it with the 700w).
    I have done the registry hack too to enable the radio full time, I find that it is more efficient for the radio to always be on... I get better battery life this way. Without the registry change I had my email syncing via Outlook Web Access every 5 minutes and it was KILLING my battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrefy
    I have done the registry hack too to enable the radio full time, I find that it is more efficient for the radio to always be on... I get better battery life this way. Without the registry change I had my email syncing via Outlook Web Access every 5 minutes and it was KILLING my battery.
    Do you have the link for that hack?

Here is the link for the 2200mah battery if anyone is curious..

http://www.lionbattery.com/descripti...?noproduit=203
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrefy
    same with me. every 5 killed it. Now, my battery is at 61% when I would have HAD to have it plugged in by now. Now it is back to my 650 days when I could get a who;e day plus of moderate use. THis is actually much better than my Treo Versamail 5 minute sync. THe thing I have to keep in mind is that not every Treo 700w user is going to have an Exchange 2003 server at thier disposal and especially not a corporate production one to use as their palyground to support their addiction to new toys. LOL. but for users that need to be up tp date and have to sync on schedule, it kinda sucks. but not for me anymore. I was actually impressed that once I updated my server with SP2 it sent the update to the devices that sync whennew messages arrive. Teh option was not there prior to the install and avtivation of AUTD.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I'm still throwing around the idea of opening up an exchange server to WM Treo users... Very small storage space though (thinking 5MB)so you can test things out with AUTD and eventually "Direct Push".

If you use it for more than a month though I need to cover the monthly licensing fee MS wants from me for every user that is on it... should be small (im guessing between $1-2).

The way it works is I have to check how many users are using the server and pay up to MS every month but I still have to find out the actual per user cost.

Or you can use the hosting service of companies like 4smartphone.com. I hear they are good but have never used them personally.