1.    #1  
    I've been reading some posts saying that it is a shame that there is no push email on the Treo 700. Well, guess what? The WirelessSync application that comes with the Treo does just that. After configuring it, it will not only push your emails as they come in, but will also sync your contacts, appointments, tasks, etc. It is done almost instantly.

Not only that, the best part is that if you SEND an email from your outlook account in the treo, the email actually goes to your OUTBOX IN YOUR DESKTOP and gets sent from there!!!! No more searching where did I sent that message from!!!

So, why so many nay-sayers?

I had the 650 and thought that I would miss it after reading some reviews... well, I don't miss the 650 one bit.
    What exactly does "Push email"? Does that mean sending copies from your computer or something?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    That is using Verizon’s Wireless Sync...yes it works...fine for most. It requires either the desktop redirector (you have to leave your desktop on with this option) or the web client (which polls your pop3 accounts every 15 min).

I believe you can purchase a server component for an additional cost ($$$$).

I've tested it extensively for potential use in our corporate environment and it did not meet the needs of our organization.... we are waiting for Microsoft’s "Direct Push" (MSFP).
    Like gex said it does not meet the needs of most corporate environments. It does not work as well as it should. I dont like the idea of having a copy of your mailbox on a verizon server. You have to leave your computer on 24/7 for the solution to work. What if you own a laptop and travel with it? There are many other reasons why I dont use it...
    the other problem with wireless sync by verizon is that you have to have an exchange server. i don't have exchange server, so i just use IMAP email to sync my emails only and can do this without the verizon service.
    Quote Originally Posted by akacaj
    Like gex said it does not meet the needs of most corporate environments. It does not work as well as it should. I dont like the idea of having a copy of your mailbox on a verizon server. You have to leave your computer on 24/7 for the solution to work. What if you own a laptop and travel with it? There are many other reasons why I dont use it...
    Yeah, Sprint has something similar. I had to forego it because I use a laptop.
    Whether the Treo 700w and Microsoft's Exchange server implements a "push" technology rather than a "pull" technology is a matter of semantics or marketing for some folks, but, in some cases, ignoring the distinction could be costly. For most corporate users, the treo will wait for a server response, send query, wait for response, and ultimately pull down your email. If this does not cost the corporate user more money in man-power or data costs than using a genuine push solution, then who cares what the marketers call it.

For non-corporate end-users, you will use a transparent pull technology and not worry about the issue.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    the other problem with wireless sync by verizon is that you have to have an exchange server.
    Um...dont want to encourage ANYONE to use Verizons Wireless Sync...but it does not require an exchange server