Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    - Has anyone tried the PDAnet dial up networking program?

    - Are you getting EVDO speeds on your laptop?

    - Can you connect via bluetooth?

    - BIG QUESTION: Can you receive calls when you are connected to the internet? I understand that you can not talk at the same time, but will the phone at least ring and let you answer it?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    As long as your net connection is EVDO (not 1xRTT) you will definitely receive call notifications. On 1x, your call will go to voicemail. In my experience so far, I am rarely on 1x service.
  3. #3  
    just installed the release version of pda net and like the beta version have been unsuccessful at logging to pc via bluetooth... i am pending reply from support@junefabrics.com i am hoping to connect via bluetooth to make life a little easier but I still can't get over the treo700w and the fact that i can get dsl like speed from my pc...so now when i go to dj an event i can download music live while i dj live...i am testing this out as i type...and can confirm that you are able to recieve call while you are connected...obviously if you answer you lose connection to the net...
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by djvision
    just installed the release version of pda net and like the beta version have been unsuccessful at logging to pc via bluetooth... i am pending reply from support@junefabrics.com i am hoping to connect via bluetooth to make life a little easier but I still can't get over the treo700w and the fact that i can get dsl like speed from my pc...so now when i go to dj an event i can download music live while i dj live...i am testing this out as i type...and can confirm that you are able to recieve call while you are connected...obviously if you answer you lose connection to the net...
    That just fricken' sells me. You should get $25 bucks from Verizon for a referal fee. I'm still on the fence, if I wait 10 months I'm sure I can get one for $100 cheaper and not have to pay Sprint the early disconnect fee.
  5.    #5  
    yes, this is a big selling point for me to upgrade from 650 to 700w too. although i just wonder if the 700p might be coming out within a month or so, which i'd probably prefer.

    any thoughts??
  6. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #6  
    Ok, sounds great but at $34.00?!?! We should be able to get this to work (for free) with just the correct modem drivers like we did with the Samsung SCH-i730...at least I hope.

    Be aware that using the device in this manner violates Verizon's usage policy and that they can suspend your service for doing it.

    Also...Verizon is said to be releasing the ability to do this "out of the box" very soon but for an additional $15 a month.
  7. #7  
    Won't bluetooth slow down the EVDO connection? I could be wrong, but I'm under the impression that BT throughput is slower than EVDO throughput. Thus you'll lose speed if you go BT. Can anyone confirm or deny?
  8. #8  
    Confirm.
  9.    #9  
    is that true about the bluetooth slowing down EVDO? where can you confirm this?

    if you don't use bluetooth, then what is the cable like for connecting from phone to computer? is it a simple usb connection? is it small and easy to carry?
  10. #10  
    If you dont use Bluetooth (the bottleneck) you use the standard USB cable that comes with your Treo.
  11.    #11  
    If you use the standard cable, do you get normal EVDO speeds, or does USB slow it down at all? also, can you use the cable just for EVDO connections, but still activesync with bluetooth?
  12. #12  
    Heh, when you get an internet connection that's faster than even USB 1 allows, let me know.

    I've used PDANet on both the Treo 600 and 650. I guess I can sell my 650 license when I upgrade. $34 isn't that much, but I agree, it should just be a feature of the phone. It costs no more to provide it.
  13.    #13  
    so, do you think you get the same speeds with pda net on the 700w via usb cable as would get with a verizon aircard?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by race
    so, do you think you get the same speeds with pda net on the 700w via usb cable as would get with a verizon aircard?
    I have no idea, but the cable vs the card shouldn't be a limiting factor. There could be hardware or software factors that slow down the speed on one or the other. The Aircard is a dedicated device for just that purpose, while the Treo does much more including possibly using the radio check for incoming calls/messages.
  15. #15  
    my thoughts are the following...i'm paying verizon 44$ for internet services thats my service for the phone and feel i should be able to use this on my own personal pc(s)...when you buy internet for home you can use the service on as many pc's as you desire same as cable tv for home...i am paying for unlimited usage too so i don't think i should be in any violation...and also if it is a violation i think it would be difficult for verizon to prove let alone go after people like me...would probably be a waste of time for them...as far as the 35 bucks for the program to connect to internet from phone is well worth every penny...and as far as 15 extra bucks a month from verizon...that just plain out sucks i think that's ridiculous...i don't pay my internet provider at home an additional for my additional pcs and refuse to do so for my internet from verizon...nuff said...
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by djvision
    my thoughts are the following...i'm paying verizon 44$ for internet services thats my service for the phone and feel i should be able to use this on my own personal pc(s)...when you buy internet for home you can use the service on as many pc's as you desire same as cable tv for home...i am paying for unlimited usage too so i don't think i should be in any violation...and also if it is a violation i think it would be difficult for verizon to prove let alone go after people like me...would probably be a waste of time for them...as far as the 35 bucks for the program to connect to internet from phone is well worth every penny...and as far as 15 extra bucks a month from verizon...that just plain out sucks i think that's ridiculous...i don't pay my internet provider at home an additional for my additional pcs and refuse to do so for my internet from verizon...nuff said...
    I'm sure everyone agrees with you. It's a question about power, though. At home you can use a router, and it makes your connection look like one computer to the internet provider. Nothing they can really do about it. With a cell phone, it's proprietary hardware and they can tell what you're doing with it. They will attempt to charge for any features they think they can, whether or not it really costs them that much to provide it. Eventually, the price will come down. But right now there's no competition, plus they are trying to cover start up costs for the EVDO, I guess.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by djvision
    my thoughts are the following...i'm paying verizon 44$ for internet services thats my service for the phone and feel i should be able to use this on my own personal pc(s)...when you buy internet for home you can use the service on as many pc's as you desire same as cable tv for home...i am paying for unlimited usage too so i don't think i should be in any violation...and also if it is a violation i think it would be difficult for verizon to prove let alone go after people like me...would probably be a waste of time for them...as far as the 35 bucks for the program to connect to internet from phone is well worth every penny...and as far as 15 extra bucks a month from verizon...that just plain out sucks i think that's ridiculous...i don't pay my internet provider at home an additional for my additional pcs and refuse to do so for my internet from verizon...nuff said...
    Well, while I agree Verizon shouldn't care but it's aprt of teh contract not use the phone that way so I'm legally bound to obey that contract. It wouldn't be hard for Verizon to go after people - they can just suspend your data service if they believe you abused it.
  18. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #18  
    I have heard of them shutting people down at times... some people over at howardsforums and even someone that works for Microsoft in Santa Monica

    Again..only "heard" third hand of people getting shut down..dont know of anyone personally who has been shutdown. Streaming is against their policy and yes they can tell if you do..but you could always fire up a VPN to conceal your actions

    As for cable internet... way back at the beginning (mid 90's) they did charge for extra PC's and did not support the routers that are so common today...we still used them and they gave up the fight.. not that they really put up much of a fight...
  19. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    $34 isn't that much, but I agree, it should just be a feature of the phone. It costs no more to provide it.
    We should be able to do it for free just like we did with the Samsung SCH-i730... i even wrote detailed instructions (with pics) on how to do it on that device... just need to find the correct modem drivers for XP...as I dont have a need to tether much (other than just the fun of hacking it) I have not looked into it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    As for cable internet... way back at the beginning (mid 90's) they did charge for extra PC's and did not support the routers that are so common today...we still used them and they gave up the fight.. not that they really put up much of a fight...
    When I first got cable internet (RoadRuiner) I was able to hook up unlimited computers just with a switch. Then one day it wouldn't work and I had to get a router. I know I had one friend who could only hook up one computer and as soon as he did, it stored his mac address and if he wanted to switch it to another computer he had to call the cable company to tell them to reset it. Don't know how they would ever "not support" a router. They might not tell you how to use one, but they can't prevent you from using one.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions