Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Hi. I currently have a Samsung i730. I have been eyeing the Treo 700w, but the only thing that is holding me back is the lack of RAM concern. With everyday normal use, is the RAM an issue? Can you listen to a MP3 and work on a word document at the same time? It seems some people have experienced issues whereas most other have not. What is the upshot?
    No issues here. Go take a look at the .mp4 file on the front of www.mobilitytoday.com About half way into the video he discusses the memory question and then streams Harry Potter while checking e-mail, calendar etc... Not once did he get the memory error message.

While I am fully in agreement that 64MB usable would be much better, I personally have only seen the memory issue once.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    I havent had any problems yet either. I am using it for what its for, plus did some video and pics this weekend, no problems. Have it set up to check email every 10 minutes, running bluetooth headset, etc...
    From what I gather if your a power user that needs 5 apps opened at the same time then it's a problem, go get a laptop.

If your a casual user who needs maybe 2 or 3 apps opened then it shouldn't be a problem.

This memory thing goes around and around I just think to many people believe this tiny device should have laptop capabilites.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    From what I gather if your a power user that needs 5 apps opened at the same time then it's a problem, go get a laptop.

If your a casual user who needs maybe 2 or 3 apps opened then it shouldn't be a problem.

This memory thing goes around and around I just think to many people believe this tiny device should have laptop capabilites.
    very sensible remarks.
    Windows Mobile 5 runs a memory manager that is very similar to Windows memory manager. You can keep launching apps and the OS will keep trying to free up about 15% of the RAM as working memory. The amount of RAM is not an absolute limit, in other words. Windows Mobile manages the free memory available to launched applications based on whether they are doing something active or not.

Well Ihave been able to keep 5+ items open at once before I got the memory issue. I added Magic Button so that apps truly shut down and I overclocked the processor (see other thread)to 520 and I only see the memory issue when I really try to make it happen. In fact, here is a test I just ran. I opened the following programs.

Inbox
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Internet Explorer
    Total Commander
    Activesync

Then I went to orb.com and streamed a video down to my account. As expected I got the low memory error, when I clicked on Play for a 2nd time, the video opened up and played. When I checked the task manager everything was closed except for media player. To me this is exactly what the OS should be doing, closing programs as it needs to make memory available for larger programs.

Is this acceptable.. probably not. Should we have more memory available, definately, can I live with it becuase of all the other positives of the device, yep not too much of a problem for me.

Just my honest opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil
    Well Ihave been able to keep 5+ items open at once before I got the memory issue. I added Magic Button so that apps truly shut down and I overclocked the processor (see other thread)to 520 and I only see the memory issue when I really try to make it happen. In fact, here is a test I just ran. I opened the following programs.

Inbox
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Internet Explorer
    Total Commander
    Activesync

Then I went to orb.com and streamed a video down to my account. As expected I got the low memory error, when I clicked on Play for a 2nd time, the video opened up and played. When I checked the task manager everything was closed except for media player. To me this is exactly what the OS should be doing, closing programs as it needs to make memory available for larger programs.

Is this acceptable.. probably not. Should we have more memory available, definately, can I live with it becuase of all the other positives of the device, yep not too much of a problem for me.

Just my honest opinion.

There you have it...Truly a "SMART" phone.

Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    very sensible remarks.
    I love it....just because someone has more needs than themselves, they are unreasonable and need to get a laptop. Just because one would expect to be able to do the same work on this devices as any other WM05 device in it's price range, they are unreasonable and need to get a laptop.

To answer your question.......Only you can can answer your question......Here are my comments in detail concerning if the Memory is an issue or not: Memory Reality Thread

This thread covers the exact same question as well: Does it really have 32MB RAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Weaweil

Just my honest opinion.
    This is the perfect approach to determine if ANY phone is right for you. Know the Pros. Know the Cons. And know that the pros and cons are personally subjective to what you like, want, and need to do with it. If the pros outweigh the cons and you can live with with the cons.....then it is the Perfect phone for you!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/16/2006 at 12:13 PM.
    Well, I have had instances where I've been web browsing while listening to mp3s and having active sync run in the background and the phone has slowed up appreciably. If you try to receive a call in there it gets worse as the phone struggles to shut everything down, pull up the caller ID bubble, stop windows media player, and play my ringtone. 98% of the time the amount of memory is fine, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I love it....just because someone has more needs than themselves, they are unreasonable and need to get a laptop. Just because one would expect to be able to do the same work on this devices as any other WM05 device in it's price range, they are unreasonable and need to get a laptop.
    I think you missed the point, the phone is, what it is, for people who need MORE then yes you might want to think about a laptop. Is it unreasonable to expect Palm to put in 64MB of useable memory like other WM devices ?

No it's not unreasonable but again it's what it is. Take or leave it. We are all singing to the choir.

The OP wanted to know if memory is an issue and like you pointed out it's all dependent on what you need. I think people are just expressing the FACTS.

I think it will fit "MY" needs just fine.
    but again it's what it is. Take or leave it. We are all singing to the choir.
    It may not be all that it is....there is current speculation that there just might be 64 mb of memory and that Palm only gave the user half of that. There are several people going a couple different routes to see if we can confirm this or not...and if it is a hard or software enabled restriction. There may be some possibilities to get this phone up to the common standard of the WM world.
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    If there is a way to upgrade the ram on this thing, I'll feel less crappy about shelling out now for programs and sd cards and keep this phone forever

There might have been a time when I'd have said something similar. But these convergent devices ARE laptop replacements when you're out of the office. 5 apps and sometimes more is normal for many users. Not me though, I can only stand 3, maybe 4 at the most. But the fact remains, people "take the office with them" on these devices. And use them as iPOD replacements and video viewers. Palm put the software on there for business and media use, and people will use it for such. Adequate memory is defintely required.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    they are only laptop replacements for those who can actually do "their office work" on them. it really comes down to the type of work you do and the application demands that you have. example: if you are a real Excel or MS Access power user at work (we're talking spreadsheets that are mb's large and who contain thousands of rows), these pda's become nothing more than phone/email/pdf/internet providers. in this case nothing but a laptop or greater will suffice. it all comes down to what your office work really is. if your office work isn't application intensive then i suppose you would want as much screen size, processing speed, and memory that you could buy. if so, a treo 700 (or any other treo for that matter) is probably not your best choice.
    At the very least, I feel there should be some sort of update to replace the memory 'slider' and allow the end-user to manually balance out program and storage memory. I have no intentions of installing software of the device itself. Everything goes on my memory card. IMO, that additional storage memory is being wasted.

I ran into my first memory issue last night while using Picsel. Created a 2mb .PDF from Delorme Street Atlas for an upcoming trip (which reminds me, I need to go print it out now)...Picsel wouldn't load past the first page and that was the only thing running. IMO, at the very least its going to fall to the software developers to recognize the memory issue and program thier apps accordingly.

For now, the XV6600 sits in my backpack as a back up. The 700 is still the day-to-day carry though.
    My laptop is needed for certain apps that a PDA will never accomplish. But I don't want to go out of the office with it unless absolutely necessary. So I need a PDA as a "replacement", or maybe I should say "substitute", because as you said I still need a phone/email/pdf/internet provider when out. I also need IM. Although in my case, I sometimes hate to get calls when out, which is why I have a plain PDA now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    they are only laptop replacements for those who can actually do "their office work" on them. it really comes down to the type of work you do and the application demands that you have. example: if you are a real Excel or MS Access power user at work (we're talking spreadsheets that are mb's large and who contain thousands of rows), these pda's become nothing more than phone/email/pdf/internet providers. in this case nothing but a laptop or greater will suffice. it all comes down to what your office work really is. if your office work isn't application intensive then i suppose you would want as much screen size, processing speed, and memory that you could buy. if so, a treo 700 (or any other treo for that matter) is probably not your best choice.
    I couldn't disagree more. For people who don't exist in metropolitan areas and/or don't use popular "on the go" applications they are unaware of the requirements and usage by thousands of people.

The most popular applications in metropolitan areas are programs are memory hogs by their nature -- Mapping programs take up a ton of information but are incredibly useful navigating the streets, subways and buses. Vindigo and news programs allow you to read various different articles and newspapers and browse through them while commuting. With Outlook doing more each version you need to take more of your "office" with you such as email, notes, datebook, contacts at the very least. These beasts also contain many options that are useful and necessary for categorizing and sorting and require larger footprints. E-books are extremely popular as are PDF documents -- just opening them up. Reference material for doctors, lawyers, etc. at a glance.

PDAs are not only used as laptop replacements but moreso like information storage devices that replace the need to connect to your network to view this information.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    There might have been a time when I'd have said something similar. But these convergent devices ARE laptop replacements when you're out of the office. ....
    Lady Treo, I think this is where you will have a split. For some people, the device is a laptop replacement. For others, it is not and cannot be.

For me personally, no miniature device will replace a laptop. I simply cannot do the things I need to do on a miniature device. So I might be willing to settle for less in the device. Also, I have no interest in using the device for entertainment.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I couldn't disagree more. For people who don't exist in metropolitan areas and/or don't use popular "on the go" applications they are unaware of the requirements and usage by thousands of people.

The most popular applications in metropolitan areas are programs are memory hogs by their nature -- Mapping programs take up a ton of information but are incredibly useful navigating the streets, subways and buses. Vindigo and news programs allow you to read various different articles and newspapers and browse through them while commuting. With Outlook doing more each version you need to take more of your "office" with you such as email, notes, datebook, contacts at the very least. These beasts also contain many options that are useful and necessary for categorizing and sorting and require larger footprints. E-books are extremely popular as are PDF documents -- just opening them up. Reference material for doctors, lawyers, etc. at a glance.

PDAs are not only used as laptop replacements but moreso like information storage devices that replace the need to connect to your network to view this information.
    WHat are you disagreeing with? oalvarez just said that some people use the pda/phone as a laptop replacement and some don't. How could you disagree with that?

IF you are adding that some people use it as a "larger" information manager, I agree with you. But I would add, once again, that some people don't.

As to the relative numbers of people who use the devices in the various ways, none of us really knows. We would just be guessing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast