Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jstpa
    WHat are you disagreeing with? oalvarez just said that some people use the pda/phone as a laptop replacement and some don't. How could you disagree with that?

IF you are adding that some people use it as a "larger" information manager, I agree with you. But I would add, once again, that some people don't.

As to the relative numbers of people who use the devices in the various ways, none of us really knows. We would just be guessing.
    Semantics really. This isn't any argument with vehemence at all and he knows that. I'm saying that there are in-between areas that are not pure "laptop replacements" for which the device is used with regularity.

With regard to guesses, if you work in a large metropolitan area you can guess that demand is very high for these devices here and many use them in a similar fashion, e.g. corporate type environment. I can tell you that this is where the money is for companies like Palm and thus can say that they are looking to feed this group more than one off consumers. Businesswise, the net profit is greater with corporate sales and an easier account to manage. Of course, it's not everything but it does have an influence on what is in "demand" in the marketplace.
    JSTPA,

thanks.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    JSTPA,

thanks.
    So it's tag team time, eh? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanguy
    Hi. I currently have a Samsung i730. I have been eyeing the Treo 700w, but the only thing that is holding me back is the lack of RAM concern. With everyday normal use, is the RAM an issue? Can you listen to a MP3 and work on a word document at the same time? It seems some people have experienced issues whereas most other have not. What is the upshot?
    I only have an issue when I try to load my 1300 pics thumbnailed on my card. As long as I have everything else closed it works but it takes forever (5 minutes + of that wheel turning where you can't do anything else). With everyday use it's been a non-issue for me, but I am only running it straight, without 3rd party apps. I spoke with a tech at Palm about it and he had never heard of this issue before. He was amazed that the os took up so much of the ram. He seemed genuinely interested and said he'd chat about it with the engineering team that was going to be in today. I've had a lot of dealings with Palm support and this guy seemed competant and genuine, which I am not used to seeing. Hopefully they won't outsource their tech support to India like they have with all their other products.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ...With regard to guesses, if you work in a large metropolitan area you can guess that demand is very high for these devices here and many use them in a similar fashion, e.g. corporate type environment. I can tell you that this is where the money is for companies like Palm and thus can say that they are looking to feed this group more than one off consumers. Businesswise, the net profit is greater with corporate sales and an easier account to manage. Of course, it's not everything but it does have an influence on what is in "demand" in the marketplace.
    Actually, my guess on corporate sales would be opposite to yours. My guess would be that most corporate users just do the phone, contacts, email, calendar thing. Not all, but most.

But once again, it's just a guess, and I have no basis for saying my guess is better than yours.
    Actually, my guess on corporate sales would be opposite to yours. My guess would be that most corporate users just do the phone, contacts, email, calendar thing. Not all, but most.

But once again, it's just a guess, and I have no basis for saying my guess is better than yours.
    i can just about substantiate that every professional at our firm uses their handhelds as you say (phone, contacts, email, calendar). again, we're only a sample and not the universe. i could also say that every individual that i know in our business use them in the same manner. i believe this to be industry specific.
    This were Palm needs to define their marketing priorities when developing their phones. Because in my line of business, a vast majority of our District Managers, Regional Managers, National Director, VPs do use a wide range of 3rd party apps to help them. For example nearly everyone uses.....Third party Email apps, Office apps (Word, Presentations, with Excel and PDF being the biggest ones), multimedia (MP3, movies, etc... both for personal entertaiment and for work use), and travel apps (GPS guidance software, Worldmate, mapping, weather trackers, flight update utilities, etc...). I know that with a lot of them, , if not 100% of the managers, use other utilities are very common like a Bug Me type app for quick notes, Today screen plugin in like PocketBreeze and ContactBreeze, etc....

It is very common for managers to have 5 apps open at any one time. Plus several of the apps we use are potential memory hogs like GPS or Excel and PDF docs. There are many 6600s and 6700s that have never had an issue with these. We have had a lot of Treo 600s and several 650s, that started out with a lot of memory issues but most of them worked around them as time went on and updates came out. I know of only one with the 700w and he is having challenges doing everything he could on his old phone. He loves the form factor so much that he probably still going to keep it.

That is the cool thing about the Treo is that it attracks a wide range of customers with an even wider range of needs and daily use.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/17/2006 at 04:52 PM.
    I remember being outsourced to India for a Linksys router tech support issue. The tech knew more about the issue and was able to thoroughly answer my questions and solve the problem than their counterpart here in the States.

Sometimes it just depends on who you get on the other end.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    Hopefully they won't outsource their tech support to India like they have with all their other products.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Hobbes, what industry are you in?
    I am a district manager for a major international merchandising company representing a major movie studio in the DVD market.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I am a district manager for a major international merchandising company representing a major movie studio in the DVD market.
    Makes sense. Travel intensive and multimedia intensive industry makes for a lot of memory hog apps.
    Lady Treo, I think this is where you will have a split. For some people, the device is a laptop replacement. For others, it is not and cannot be.

For me personally, no miniature device will replace a laptop. I simply cannot do the things I need to do on a miniature device. So I might be willing to settle for less in the device. Also, I have no interest in using the device for entertainment.
    My PDA will never replace my laptop for what I need to do on the heavy end. But I'm only speaking of when out of the office. When I simply don't want to lug a laptop around when I don't have to, but still need to get some stuff done. I need email, internet, IM, SMS, calender, tasks and contacts. But I don't need the thing to crash on me at the worst moment.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    My PDA will never replace my laptop for what I need to do on the heavy end. But I'm only speaking of when out of the office. When I simply don't want to lug a laptop around when I don't have to, but still need to get some stuff done. I need email, internet, IM, SMS, calender, tasks and contacts. But I don't need the thing to crash on me at the worst moment.
    Hey LT,
    I was thinking, why don't you sign up with Verizon for the 15 day period and get a Treo 700w to play with. Use it for 2 weeks then return/cancel the entire thing, the only thing you will be financially responsible for is the portion of airtime so it's not much at all.

I would really love to see your feedback on the stability of the device and how the device handles the memory under your particular situations. Don't compare it to a 650 which I believe you are very used to, but rather put it through your normal day. You might actually be suprised.

As I have posted, while I have seen the memory issue, so far I have only seen it twice and both times I was launching WMP10. Last night, for grins (I know I have no life) I tried to force the device to give me the memory error. I opened up the following items
    Calendar
    Contacts
    Inbox
    Calculator
    Total Commander
    IE
    then I streamed a video down orb and believe it or not everything worked great. I checked and had a little over 2MB of memory left. I closed everythign down, then tried it a 2nd time and it worked.

People really need to take this little baby for a test drive to see how it works for their environments.
    I left CDMA for GSM. I'll have to wait to see if either T-Mobile or Cingular get it in July. By the time they did get the 700w, I may have too many WM5 devices already, LOL! We will see. But I have to tell you, I really prefer the 320x240 screen for WM, or even VGA. Especially for $620, which I'm sure an unlocked GSM one will be(maybe even more) considering the CDMA one without a contract is that much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I left CDMA for GSM. I'll have to wait to see if either T-Mobile or Cingular get it in July. By the time they did get the 700w, I may have too many WM5 devices already, LOL! We will see. But I have to tell you, I really prefer the 320x240 screen for WM, or even VGA. Especially for $620, which I'm sure an unlocked GSM one will be(maybe even more) considering the CDMA one without a contract is that much.
    Oh I wasn't suggesting you leave your current carrier but rather just take th 15 day trial to see how the device does. You can always forward your GSM phone to the Treo while you are using it for the 3 week period. After you are done, return it and post your findings here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12