1.    #1  
    I did a search for 'Mobile Office' and 'Pocket Office' but couldn't find anything that answered my question.

Is Mobile Office a big improvement over previous versions? I remember Brighthand had an article a few years ago about how bad the PPC office suite was in comparison to DTG (!). There were awful issues like losing formatting when working with native files. (Granted, this was over 3 years ago). I assume this has been fixed with the lack of complaints.

http://www.brighthand.com/article/Office_comparison

Also, can anyone post their thoughts on the need for TextMaker/SheetMaker?

I've never used those apps but know that they are supposed to be very feature-rich.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    DTG is IMHO the gold standard for office adjuncts on mobile devices. I haven't been impressed with Mobile Word / Excel; and Mobile Powerpoint is view only.

Textmaker is a good app - I used ait a long time ago and liked it - I believe there is a beta - why not try t and see for yourself?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    DTG is IMHO the gold standard for office adjuncts on mobile devices. I haven't been impressed with Mobile Word / Excel; and Mobile Powerpoint is view only.

Textmaker is a good app - I used ait a long time ago and liked it - I believe there is a beta - why not try t and see for yourself?

Wow, it's hard to see DTG associated with 'gold'.

I don't have a 700w, but I was considering doing a 15-day trial to try out what I see as the three major improvements over the 650:

-Office (although it sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath)
    -WMP (streaming WMA / WMV support - clear improvement)
    -Browsing (with Pocket IE or others - I'm tired of nagging Mobirus to add features to Xiino - and getting little or no response - and the other POS browsers all have serious issues IMO).
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    Wow, it's hard to see DTG associated with 'gold'.

I don't have a 700w, but I was considering doing a 15-day trial to try out what I see as the three major improvements over the 650:

-Office (although it sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath)
    -WMP (streaming WMA / WMV support - clear improvement)
    -Browsing (with Pocket IE or others - I'm tired of nagging Mobirus to add features to Xiino - and getting little or no response - and the other POS browsers all have serious issues IMO).
    Having tried the other office suites on my Palms I 've found DTG the best overall, hence my Gold standard comment. I've found the PPC equivalents lacking; and don't really want to shell out nearly $100 for Textmaker / Planmaker.

I do like the high speed EVDO - I can listen to em with only an occasional dropout; and while Pocket IE is not that great of a browser it is fast and Opera is on the way for WM5; plus I can use my 700w as a modem as well.

Bottom line for me - I miss the 650's features, ease of use and program availability; but the high speed access makes up for it (for now until Verizon has a 700p).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoffey
    Having tried the other office suites on my Palms I 've found DTG the best overall, hence my Gold standard comment. I've found the PPC equivalents lacking; and don't really want to shell out nearly $100 for Textmaker / Planmaker.

I do like the high speed EVDO - I can listen to em with only an occasional dropout; and while Pocket IE is not that great of a browser it is fast and Opera is on the way for WM5; plus I can use my 700w as a modem as well.

Bottom line for me - I miss the 650's features, ease of use and program availability; but the high speed access makes up for it (for now until Verizon has a 700p).
    Ok, thanks for your input. I certainly didn't expect to hear that Mobile Word/Excel would STILL be WORSE than DTG.
    Yup - can't create tables (but at least WM opens them now instead of munging them) but you can edit and save them. PowerPoint Mobile is view only.

If you rely heavily on DTG you will be disappointed. Since I usually only do real simple spreadsheets or type drafts I can get by with WM5.

You'd think MS would have figured it out by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Ok, thanks for your input. I certainly didn't expect to hear that Mobile Word/Excel would STILL be WORSE than DTG.
    Indeed.

I was hoping to find a thread on this subject because I was displeased with some stuff in D2G - specifically, having to use the stylus to highlight a huge section of cells for sorting.

I've got a spreadsheet with a list of some comics (not even my entire collection) and it's about 300 lines. If I want to sort that, it's kinda ridiculous that I have to drag the stylus and try to "speed-scroll" from the bottom to the top. There should be some kind of shortcut. I thought the Windows Mobile version of Excel would be more likely to have such a shortcut.

I'm glad I didn't assume. *sigh*

Oh well. Better than nothing, I guess. (I'm tired of having to keep telling myself that, though.)