1.    #1  
    Anyone been able to install this software on a WM5 device? i would love to be able to upload my Tivo shows to my SD card and watch them on the train to work (and by that I mean "at my desk at work")
    I am looking for the same functionality. I use TiVo Desktop to pull video to my laptop to watch, but pulling your laptop out is bulky. Now that my blackberry is being replaced by a Treo 700w, I am looking into the same thing.

I remember reading somewhere that you can convert the .tivo file into a regular mpeg2 file (Deal Database TiVo forum maybe?). You could then convert that Mpeg2 files down to a WMV file at 240x192. That is the route I am looking into now unless somewhere has a one-click program that both rips DVDs, converts .TiVo, and converts h.264 files. All my subscribed vlogs seem to use h.264 these days...
    I actually use DVD to Pocket PC Ripper 4 to make a WMV and I have 4 gig SD Card to hold all the movies. I think seems to work the best. Now I know this doesn't help, you wanting the TIVO media files, but I know there is software that you can network your pc to the tivo get the video and then convert it.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    Anyone been able to install this software on a WM5 device? i would love to be able to upload my Tivo shows to my SD card and watch them on the train to work (and by that I mean "at my desk at work")
    Slingbox is your friend...

I know it's not the same as what you're looking to do, but I haven't heard of a viable TivoToGo option for the Treo.
    Actually the mobile sling version could be in jeperody as we speak.

I just read this article today.....

The actual link to the story can be found here:

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2006...
    The creators of Slingbox, a nifty gadget that lets consumers watch their home TV on any computer screen with an Internet connection, have another clever idea: Let consumers watch their home TV on handheld devices.

One catch, though: In order for Sling Media's mobile service to work, it will need the assent of the major wireless carriers before its scheduled March launch. And the carriers don't seem interested in playing along.

None of the three big carriers with high-speed networks capable of carrying the service--Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon (nyse: VZ - news - people ) and Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ), Cingular and Sprint (nyse: S - news - people )--have publicly agreed to sign on so far.

"We have no immediate plans to run that service," says Jeffrey Nelson, spokesman for Verizon Wireless, the country's second-largest carrier. "What runs on our network are our services."

A spokesman for Sprint declined to comment on Sling Media, while a Cingular spokesman says the company "will have to look into it."

Sling Media's plans would require consumers to subscribe to the high-speed networks all three have been pushing recently (carrier T-Mobile, the fourth-largest player in the U.S., doesn't have a network that supports the device). So why aren't they rushing to hop on? Likely, because they've got their own video services to peddle.

Verizon Wireless already sells its subscribers v-cast, a music video and clip service for $15 per month, and is planning to offer a TV service from Qualcomm (nasdaq: QCOM - news - people ) later this year. Cingular, a joint venture of AT&T (nyse: T - news - people ) and BellSouth (nyse: BLS - news - people ), and Sprint both sell an early version of wireless TV called MobiTV. And analysts say that even without the potential for channel conflict, the carriers have concerns about third parties snarfing up lots of their bandwith.

Sling Media's executives insist that the carriers will come along, soon. "We're open to finding ways to partner with them," says Sling Media Chief Executive Blake Krikorian. "This is a fantastic offering for them, it will drive sales of devices and high-speed services."

Krikorian's original device, the Slingbox, connects to a cable box and a modem and allows users to watch whatever's on their television on their computer screen, as long as they have a high-speed Internet connection.

Krikorian and his brother, Jason, developed the gadget because they wanted to watch San Francisco Giants games when they were on the road. They started selling the box for up to $250 a piece last summer at Best Buy (nyse: BBY - news - people ) and CompUSA stores. They say they've sold more than 100,000 units so far.

But unless they can get the carriers to play along, they'll have a hard time selling their mobile service, which is designed to work with handheld devices that run on Microsoft's (nasdaq: MSFT - news - people ) Windows Mobile platform. Their best bet, some observers argue, is that the carrier will have to let them on their networks purely for public-relations reasons.

"The moment they block the Slingbox service or throttle it down to make it unviewable, they put themselves in the position of companies and organizations that block or impede consumer choice," says Ovum wireless analyst Roger Entner.

Sling Media has backing from Goldman Sachs Group (nyse: GS - news - people ), Liberty Media (nyse: LMCB - news - people ) and EchoStar Communications (nasdaq: DISH - news - people ), but it's still a comparative piker compared to the carriers, who have billions in marketing muscle and some 150 million customers. But Krikorian is optimistic he will be able to make headway:

"Consumers love television. More and more they want it on their terms."

I just love this quote "What runs on our network are our services." by Verizon. Aren't you glad your ISP at home doesn't adobt this attitude.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts
    Interesting read (link doesn't work by the way). I don't see how they could stop you from using it though unless they somehow cap the amount of bandwidth you use every month. All it involves is installing the Sling Mobile software on your handheld and I don't see how that's any different from installing similar programs (Pocket Radio, etc). I will tell you that's it's pretty cool to have TV (and your Tivo) available to you at all times. Taking a dump has never been so much fun...
    i thought the "legit" solution form moving Tivo content to the desktop had DRM that would not allow it to be taken to other machines
    You can pull video off the TiVo Series 2 machines using TiVo Desktop. It is free software from TiVo. You can then watch the video on that machine if you have a supported MPEG2 codec. You can also burn the video to DVD with the right software. I just run TiVo Desktop on my laptop and watch the video there, so it hasn't been an issue up until now.
    Ok, thanks. Hmm, so you mean there is no DRM? The process of pulling the video over to desktop.... is that losless digital? Or is that an analog step?

Once you have mpeg 2 on your desktop, you can encode to any format you like for the treo. As long as there is no DRM. I would reccomend maybe highly compressed 340x240 Divx. By the way, this also looks pretty good, even on your regular TV or pc.
    There's definitely DRM... I'm not sure exactly what it permits, but you definitely don't have access to the straight mgeg2, and I don't think there's any way to get it with the Tivo2Go files, although Deal Database would be the place to find out if there was (except they're not very newbie friendly, so I'd suggest a lot of searching before posting...)

In order to get mpeg2, you have to get the recordings directly from the hard drive and then convert, which initially means pulling the hard drive and installing software to it through a linux machine. The process is, at the very least, against TIVO policy....
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I used this guide http://www.zatznotfunny.com/ttg.htm#pda to get everything I needed. Heres how I do it:

Use TiVo Desktop, copy the file to your computer

Then use DirectShowDump to rip the DRM from the video

Then TMPGEnc to compress the video size and format to fit the Treo

Copy new file to you memory card

Download PocketTV for free, have fun watching TiVo on your phone!

I love it. I always have a Family Guy episode on my phone.

Everything here is free. The only program that I found to be a little finicky is TMPGEnc. It locks up sometimes and I have to restart it. Always works the second time though. This is it. It's that easy to watch TiVo on your phone.

Enjoy!