Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Has anyone actually seen a Palm or Verizon spec sheet that says that the Treo 700w only has 32MB of RAM? Got a link?
    Who cares what the spec sheet says when I have the device in my hand with only 1 mb ram available! The spec sheet dosent even mention the RAM.
    See Memory Reality Thread as it is already dealing with the very same question.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 01/15/2006 at 04:03 PM.
    Note: None of these links confirm that the Treo has 32 MB of RAM. It only shows that it has 25.48 avaliable. Once we can get confirmation of what is really on the device we can get a better idea of what is possible.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Hobbes, I see a lot of discussion about 128MB flash, but nothing about where the 32MB number comes from. I do note that the same question seems to have come up and you have emailed Palm, but I assume you haven't received a response.

Correct?
    This is a case of unbelievable but true. People will always doubt.

Surur
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Had to go through a lot of crap here, but it told me nothing. None of the numbers add up.

For example one part of the thread says that the OS uses 6.5MB, and that added to 25.45 gives you about 32MB. Then, another post about a KJAM that is supposed to have 64MB shows 49MB after the OS. Why does the KJAM use a 15MB OS while the Treo uses a 6.5MB OS?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    This is a case of unbelievable but true. People will always doubt.

Surur
    Is this like "trust me I'm with the government?"
    I believe we can get to the end of this dicussion right now.

Any TREO 700w owner do the following:

START - SETTINGS - SYSTEM - DEVICE INFORMATION - HARDWARE

There will be a field for RAM Size

This will finally answer the question.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Any 700w owners out there?
    We have gotten to the bottom of this a million times but here we go once again.

START -> SETTINGS -> SYSTEM - > About reveals 25.48 MB for memory

They got rid of the Device Information icon.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    so we still don't know what the total ram is
    In all honesty, who CARES what total RAM is. The only thing that matters is how much RAM I can use. Whether it has 32MB or 32 GB, all you've got for running programs is 25MB, which is kind of sad for a multi-tasking OS.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by akacaj
    We have gotten to the bottom of this a million times but here we go once again.

START -> SETTINGS -> SYSTEM - > About reveals 25.48 MB for memory

They got rid of the Device Information icon.
    Like I stated earlier...that information is for avaliable user RAM, not total RAM.
    I want to know what the big secret is as to why their is no RAM information from PALM

I went to my local Verizon store in between playoff games and the Device Information icon was not on the treo. So I decided to ask a sales rep about specs and I got the same speech (128MB of Memory, 60 User accessible). So then I ask him...What about RAM? No clue.

As for Device Information lets find out if they just disabled it.

Here is a simple Registry Edit that should enable the menu
    HKLM/ControlPanel/Device Information
    Change the Group value from 0 to 1.

If the Device Information Key is not there
    Create a new Key under ControlPanel
    Create a New DWORD Value
    Set it to 1

Meyerweb: Its about reverse engineering. Lets say for a moment that total RAM is 64 MB. We then know it is artificially limited by the OS. Say we find a way to change the limit increasing your avaliable RAM. Would that make you a happier Treo 700w owner?
    Last edited by Perceptions; 01/15/2006 at 06:30 PM.
    I created a new Key titled Device information and inside that I created a new D word value title device information with a DWORD Data of 1, now what?
    Perfect, however I made a slight error

Under HKLM/ControlPanel/Device Information
    Create a Dword Value (this is still correct)

For Value Name put "Group" (no quotes) not "Device Information
    Value Data should be 1

Exit the Registry Editor. Wait a minute then do a soft reset.

After it loads up do the following:
    START - SETTINGS - SYSTEM - DEVICE INFORMATION - HARDWARE

If it works you will see the Device Information link, if it does not work it will not be there.
    Done and its a no go
    Just to reiterate under HKEY_Local_machine - control panel - device information there is a DWORD Value titled Group with the Dword Data set to 1 and Base set to Dec
    Quote Originally Posted by Perceptions
    Note: None of these links confirm that the Treo has 32 MB of RAM. It only shows that it has 25.48 avaliable. Once we can get confirmation of what is really on the device we can get a better idea of what is possible.
    If it has 64, that means 39 is taken up by the OS and included programs. That's more than 50%, is that normal? But in 1 photo, looks like about 12 more was lost with the phone running, and I don't think he loaded anything extra on it yet.

The guy who has a K-JAM says he has approx. 50 left(meaning 14 was taken up by OS) and when the phone is on, he uses approx. 20, leaving approx. 29 left.

If the 700w has 64, why the big disparity? They should be in the same ballpark. Voice Command is included and it's probably a heavy program, but does it really use that much RAM to reduce less than half available to the user? The specs of VC that I saw said it needed about 7MB RAM, but 39-7 is 32. Still half of 64. The OS cannot take up 32, can it?

I hope you undertsand my post. A lot of it is thinking out loud.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast