Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    I am using Exchange Activesync and it is working great when I sync over Verizon's EvDo network. However, when it tries to sync to Exchange while connected to my computer it will not work.

Our company as a different internal IP address through which we access the webmail server while on the company's private VLAN than the IP address that webmail is accessed while outside of our network. However, you can reach our webmail server through the same URL while on our private VLAN. So I do not understand why I am getting a connection error while trying to sync to Exchange while connected to our internal network.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    <moved>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I have the same problem - AvticeSync works fine for connecting my laptop to my phone, and exchange sync works fine when I am connecting wirelessly to my exhange server. But when the phone is connected to my laptop, I cannot update exchange server. It says it cannot make a connection. However, I do not think this is a problem related to IP addresses or LNAS. I have the same problem when I am at work or at home or at at wifi spot. Have you contacted Palm support? I am thinking of doing this.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    My IT Dept discovered the issue. They have security settings in place so that only certain domains can access Exchange Activesync. Since I am on Verizon they had vzwmail.net listed as being able to have access. However, the IT Director happened to notice that the domain on the user name to access Verizon's data network was vzw3g.com. Therefore, he added this domain to those allowed to have access. Once this was done, I stopped having problems syncing when connected to my computer within our corporate network.
    My goal is to help my IT group be comfortable implmenting Activesync for me/others iwth treos (650 on sprint) rather than the separate bberry I need to carry today and for my perspective is far inferior to snappermail. I have no need/interest in any capabilities that might be available as far as syncing to the desktop; just exchange services via internet connectivity while out of the office. Perhaps some can help this road warrior cut through the documentation to see if it makes sense to suggest this to my IT guys:
    - does my IT group need to install/purchase anything addtl beyond their normal(?) Exchange license so that I can have an activesync exchange connection.
    - their main concern for using anything other than bberry is that pop/etc sends passwords in the clear. does activesync not send passwords in the clear, or is there anything else that needs to be done to encrypt passwords beyond activesync?
    - net net, is this a secure method for rcv/sending email to the exchange server?
    - as a plus, my understanding is that I would also be able to see invitations and perhaps other exchange components
    Last edited by RichNY; 02/17/2006 at 08:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    They will need to be running Exchange 2003 installed, but there is no additional licensing needed. However, they will need to turn on the ActiveSync services. You can setup SSL encryption to log into the server. I do not know about security issues related to sending/receiving. Yes, in mobile Outlook you can respond to meeting invitations, send meeting invitations, etc.
    I have had this discussion with many IT directors. Let me fill in with my two cents.

-does my IT group need to install/purchase anything addtl beyond their normal(?)

Answer: There is no additional fees or licenses for activesync/oma services.

- their main concern for using anything other than bberry is that pop/etc sends passwords in the clear. does activesync not send passwords in the clear, or is there anything else that needs to be done to encrypt passwords beyond activesync?

Answer : Activesync can be run over an SSL link, so in theoy no passwords are sent in the clear. It does however use text authentication, not the integrated microsoft authentication. In theory you have about the same security as OWA, since it is quite similar (in terms of IIS setup).

- as a plus, my understanding is that I would also be able to see invitations and perhaps other exchange components

Answer: you certainly can send and respond to invites, and other exchange components like tasks.

Good luck having the discussion with the IT guys. Hard to break the blackberry habit.
    DONT FORGET!!! Digital Cerificates (not self signed) are needed. ActiveSync will not work correctly without digital cetificates. It may work...but not over a native SSL connection like Outlook using RPC over HTTPS.
    We have the necessary certs available on out website for our network.
    I hope that helps.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.
    Actually that is not entirely correct. You can use a self signed cert, but I would not recommend it. Using an issued digital cert is much easier.

This Microsoft Knowledge Base Article goes over importing self signed cert for activesync.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=841060
    We have found over 90% of the companies that try to use self signed certs do it incorrectly.
    The Message Center
    www.themessagecenter.com
    You have no excuse to not be synchronized.