Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    If you use SMS triggered email you will get your new email as soon as it arrives and this is wonderful for me. However, since you will receive an SMS (even though it is "invisible") every time you get a new email you will experience a few extra things. First, you will be charged for the SMS messages. Second, your screen will turn on every time you receive an SMS message. This may be a problem for you if you don't have a password on your device or you don't lock the device.

Here are solutions to both issues. First, get an unlimited SMS package if you want triggered email or use scheduled retrieval. Second, use a password! You should be doing this anyway.

Scheduled retrieval has advantages as well. If you receive ALOT of email during the day, the SMS trigger option will get annoying since you will see mail arriving and hear the device alerting you every minute or two. You'll actually be synchronizing so often that it wears down the battery faster, negating one of the benefits to triggers. If you sync on a schedule you will get mail in larger chunks, which will be less annoying, and your device will be syncing less during the day. In addition, scheduled syncs don't cause the screen to turn on.

Anybody who wants to add more here...please do. People keep asking me why I would use one or the other and I can only answer the same question so many times.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Is there a way to "disable" incoming/outgoing SMS messages to the 700w? I didn't order the SMS plan, and don't want to pay for each msg. thx
    Last edited by plasmo; 01/14/2006 at 07:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I don't know if you can completely disable incoming and outgoing SMS messages completely, but you can set the Exchange account to not send them to your device. This is what you do when you set the Active sync on the device to check for messages every few minutes/hour(s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    If you use SMS triggered email you will get your new email as soon as it arrives and this is wonderful for me. However, since you will receive an SMS (even though it is "invisible") every time you get a new email you will experience a few extra things. First, you will be charged for the SMS messages. Second, your screen will turn on every time you receive an SMS message. This may be a problem for you if you don't have a password on your device or you don't lock the device.
    This is not the case with Seven Inc's (Xpress Mail for Cingular, Sprint Business Connection) "push" e-mail which uses SMS-triggered pulls.

The screen does not come on during the entire process. The SMS's are not reported as such in my monthly bill.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Yeah, but that requires software on your device (doesn't it?) that probabably intercepts the SMS and allows the screen to stay off. Since they obviously have a deal with the carrier, those messages just are not charged to you. I'm just guessing here...
    Does anyone out there just prefer to manually send/receive? Personally I like this better. Saves the juice and doesn't inform me of a new email when I can't do anything about it.