Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44
  1.    #1  
    I first got a palm when the first generation came out and used it to my delight for quite some time. As newer offerings continued to come out over time and I found myself eventually using a Kyocera 7135 running palm 4. I later upgraded to a Treo 600 and the a 650 so I can safely say that I've been a palm supporter/user for quite a long time and I must add that I've been very happy all the while.
    I UPGRADED to the new Treo 700w after toiling over previews, articles and chat forums for MONTHS and after finally having 72 hours to judge for myself, my response is.....Are all of you fanatical palm enthusiasts and 700w critics MAD?!?
    It seems to me that there is absolutely NO comparison. I've always like Palm OS but have always been frustrated with the instability of the platform as a whole based on the limited function of the OS itself (no multi-tasking) and the overdependence on third party applications to provide BASIC NECESSARY functionality, promoting endless and random soft resets. I also find it IMPOSSIBLE to overlook how much tweaking was necessary to even get the 650 to the point where it was competently outfitted.
    Out of the box, Palm OS has no basic file management, nor does it support many media formats natively. For crying out loud, before volumecare I couldn't even hear my phonecalls. Hacks here and firmware patches there coupled with slow internet speeds, no push e-mail, no wifi card support, and on and on. Again, I enjoyed my palm devices but was always keenly aware of their shortcomings.
    Now the 700w is out and most of what I read is clear nitpicking and what seems to me microsoft bashing, coupled with BLIND Plam OS loyalty.
    The 700w is clearly an UPGRADE from the 650 and is hands down a superior handset.
    First off, there is NO understating EVDO; it is truly extraordinary! Also almost unmentioned is the 700's ability to natively establish an internet conection through the activesync to conserve data and boost speeds through your computers' internet connection!
    Native streaming & syncing of a broad range of media types, and much better web page rendering (much fewer problems than with blazer).
    All of the talk about less intuitive is hubub as well; this thing is WAY intuitive. The LEARNING suggestions that appear as you enter data, the popup menus all over the place, Voice Comand and that TODAY screen!!! WOW!
    Speaking of screens... I challenge that side by side, the pixel difference doesn't impact visible resolution much at all! (believe me I stared long and hard...noticable difference...yes, meaningful on a 2 1/2" screen...no)
    The The multitasking is truly a blessing...instability in one program doesn't cause an entire system reset...FINALLY! Also, I opened MANY programs simultaneously and had no memory issues yet. (I suspect a memory upgrade will be available shortly) There are WAY more options in terms of customizing with native application launching from the card as well as file management.
    I think I could ramble on for a lot longer so I'll close with this.
    I believe that there is WAY more potential, stability and usability, not to mention hard R&D dollars and cents behind windows mobile integration. Comparatively, Palm OS seems to have a future that is significantly more bleek in my opinion (Cobolt has officially been kyboshed). EVDO is smokin fast. I don't think that, out of the box, the 650 is even in the same class as the 700w! Its THE ONE
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon
    I first got a palm when the first generation came out and used it to my delight for quite some time. As newer offerings continued to come out over time and I found myself eventually using a Kyocera 7135 running palm 4. I later upgraded to a Treo 600 and the a 650 so I can safely say that I've been a palm supporter/user for quite a long time and I must add that I've been very happy all the while.
    I UPGRADED to the new Treo 700w after toiling over previews, articles and chat forums for MONTHS and after finally having 72 hours to judge for myself, my response is.....Are all of you fanatical palm enthusiasts and 700w critics MAD?!?
    It seems to me that there is absolutely NO comparison. I've always like Palm OS but have always been frustrated with the instability of the platform as a whole based on the limited function of the OS itself (no multi-tasking) and the overdependence on third party applications to provide BASIC NECESSARY functionality, promoting endless and random soft resets. I also find it IMPOSSIBLE to overlook how much tweaking was necessary to even get the 650 to the point where it was competently outfitted.
    Out of the box, Palm OS has no basic file management, nor does it support many media formats natively. For crying out loud, before volumecare I couldn't even hear my phonecalls. Hacks here and firmware patches there coupled with slow internet speeds, no push e-mail, no wifi card support, and on and on. Again, I enjoyed my palm devices but was always keenly aware of their shortcomings.
    Now the 700w is out and most of what I read is clear nitpicking and what seems to me microsoft bashing, coupled with BLIND Plam OS loyalty.
    The 700w is clearly an UPGRADE from the 650 and is hands down a superior handset.
    First off, there is NO understating EVDO; it is truly extraordinary! Also almost unmentioned is the 700's ability to natively establish an internet conection through the activesync to conserve data and boost speeds through your computers' internet connection!
    Native streaming & syncing of a broad range of media types, and much better web page rendering (much fewer problems than with blazer).
    All of the talk about less intuitive is hubub as well; this thing is WAY intuitive. The LEARNING suggestions that appear as you enter data, the popup menus all over the place, Voice Comand and that TODAY screen!!! WOW!
    Speaking of screens... I challenge that side by side, the pixel difference doesn't impact visible resolution much at all! (believe me I stared long and hard...noticable difference...yes, meaningful on a 2 1/2" screen...no)
    The The multitasking is truly a blessing...instability in one program doesn't cause an entire system reset...FINALLY! Also, I opened MANY programs simultaneously and had no memory issues yet. (I suspect a memory upgrade will be available shortly) There are WAY more options in terms of customizing with native application launching from the card as well as file management.
    I think I could ramble on for a lot longer so I'll close with this.
    I believe that there is WAY more potential, stability and usability, not to mention hard R&D dollars and cents behind windows mobile integration. Comparatively, Palm OS seems to have a future that is significantly more bleek in my opinion (Cobolt has officially been kyboshed). EVDO is smokin fast. I don't think that, out of the box, the 650 is even in the same class as the 700w! Its THE ONE

    ...one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
    Just kidding.
    Alright. Fair enough. I've tried to maintain open minded-ness about this whole thing, although there is one final note I'll add that means that I personally will probably never own one.
    Screen resolution? Good. I doubted there would be any sort of true difference on a screen that small.
    A big issue (one of the biggest for me) is one handed use. How often must you pull out the stylus to operate within an acceptable time frame? How does Internet Explorer support the five way nav? Word? Excel? All these standards that the phone does so wonderfully have never been written to support five way.
    Another big thing for me is SMS. Mock it if you will, but I use it constantly, and the lack of threaded SMS seems a very backward step to me.
    Bluetooth. I'm shocked no one has talked about this yet. Is it better than the 650. Can you keep the phone on your hip, and the headset on your ear with no static? This is one of the biggest drawbacks of the 650 for me.
    Of course, there's still that issue I mentioned above that will keep me away from the 700. It is this: I will not become a VZW customer. Not for all the tea in China. Screw them, and screw their exclusivity. Sprint? I'd probably be taking the plunge. Cingular? Maybe. VZW? Go to hell.*

    *(And yes that IS a personal opinion based on my own experiences both using and selling their service. They can smoke a big fat one.)
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  3. #3  
    here come the "memory" hounds, they'll be followed by the "no way is the screen that bright and clear" hunting group, then the "no wi-fi" crew will be in to support all of the other's claims and more. go ahead, search around for my posts on most all of these subject matters. some think that we've got rocks in our head to have purchased a device with only 32mb of ram, some think that spending $ on EVDO via VZW versus having wi-fi is another sin. i'm not certain why they can't say "hey, good looking phone, great for those who enjoy windows and who don't need 26 different apps to get through a workday." hec, there are some out there who would comment on the product without having any kind of real working knowledge. just because it doesn't have a supposed "industry spec" amount of ram doesn't make it a bad phone, it only limits it from doing that much more. as for all of those power users out there, let me say this: real power users can't use pda's, they use laptops/desktops to get "real" business done.

    i like this device so far.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...one man's garbage is another man's treasure.
    Just kidding.
    Alright. Fair enough. I've tried to maintain open minded-ness about this whole thing, although there is one final note I'll add that means that I personally will probably never own one.
    Screen resolution? Good. I doubted there would be any sort of true difference on a screen that small.
    A big issue (one of the biggest for me) is one handed use. How often must you pull out the stylus to operate within an acceptable time frame? How does Internet Explorer support the five way nav? Word? Excel? All these standards that the phone does so wonderfully have never been written to support five way.
    Another big thing for me is SMS. Mock it if you will, but I use it constantly, and the lack of threaded SMS seems a very backward step to me.
    Bluetooth. I'm shocked no one has talked about this yet. Is it better than the 650. Can you keep the phone on your hip, and the headset on your ear with no static? This is one of the biggest drawbacks of the 650 for me.
    Of course, there's still that issue I mentioned above that will keep me away from the 700. It is this: I will not become a VZW customer. Not for all the tea in China. Screw them, and screw their exclusivity. Sprint? I'd probably be taking the plunge. Cingular? Maybe. VZW? Go to hell.*

    *(And yes that IS a personal opinion based on my own experiences both using and selling their service. They can smoke a big fat one.)
    Honestly, the stylus thing has yet to be an issue for me because there were times that I elected to use my stylus over the 5-way in the 600 & 650 for sheer speed of operation.(less taps with my phat phingers which are prone to error) I'll grant you that all applications are not completely 5-way enabled but neither were all 650 applications. I am still, however, able to browse and navigate through Word, Excel and Explorer swiftly and efficiently with mostly 1 hand. This is, however, a quick software fix which I'm sure won't be too far down the line.
    SMS is not truly threaded, however has its own "Inbox" screen independent of other manners of correspondance (email, mms, etc) which can be sorted in a variety of ways and serves the same basic function as threading...allowing you to see all past correspondance. This too, however, I'm sure will be massaged soon. I SMS LOTS and don't find this to be as big a deal as its being made out to be.
    Ahhhh, then there's the bluetooth. Clear as a whistle (no more static) and it does support limited voice command as other threads suggest, it just takes some messing around with. More on that to come.
    Finally, VZW is who they are...the largest, most reliable network. My road hasn't been all peaches either, but compared to what I know about the coverage and the service of most of the other carriers, I won't be switching anytime soon.
    Can you hear me now?.......Good!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    here come the "memory" hounds, they'll be followed by the "no way is the screen that bright and clear" hunting group, then the "no wi-fi" crew will be in to support all of the other's claims and more. go ahead, search around for my posts on most all of these subject matters. some think that we've got rocks in our head to have purchased a device with only 32mb of ram, some think that spending $ on EVDO via VZW versus having wi-fi is another sin. i'm not certain why they can't say "hey, good looking phone, great for those who enjoy windows and who don't need 26 different apps to get through a workday." hec, there are some out there who would comment on the product without having any kind of real working knowledge. just because it doesn't have a supposed "industry spec" amount of ram doesn't make it a bad phone, it only limits it from doing that much more. as for all of those power users out there, let me say this: real power users can't use pda's, they use laptops/desktops to get "real" business done.

    i like this device so far.
    Bring 'em on. The memory hounds can't remember that this is a phone phirst! If I open lots of apps that are memory intense on my laptop, I'll have memory problems there as well. How many apps do you need running on a phone at once anyway, bearing in mind screen size and functionality? I had 7 running, including email, media, excel & word without any issues.
    $40 for unlimited data at broadband speeds without the need for a wifi connection is a no brainer.
    I am also happy that out of the box I'm not really missing any of the dozens of apps that I had to pay hundereds of dollars extra for to get my phone to do what I needed on a daily basis. I does everything I need, better than the 650, right out of the gate!
  6. #6  
    Cool post. Glad to hear it. I'm going to try one out next week.

    I'm just curious about the whole automatic connection to the internet while connected to your computer. What's the big deal about that? If you're sitting at a computer, why would you use the internet on your tiny phone?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    A big issue (one of the biggest for me) is one handed use. How often must you pull out the stylus to operate within an acceptable time frame? How does Internet Explorer support the five way nav? Word? Excel? All these standards that the phone does so wonderfully have never been written to support five way.
    Having had experience with a Treo 600, I can tell you that this phone is not as one handed but pretty darn close. I'm disappointed in WM in not fully exploiting the 5-way in the built-ins. Palm should have known better.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Another big thing for me is SMS. Mock it if you will, but I use it constantly, and the lack of threaded SMS seems a very backward step to me.
    There is a beta app out there (has been for 6 months) which not only threads SMS, it does a bunch of things missing from the 650. I'm expecting the developer to get with the program now that the Treo 700w is out. He'd be an ***** to miss this opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Bluetooth. I'm shocked no one has talked about this yet. Is it better than the 650.
    Don't know about the 650 but a lot better than the XV6600.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Can you keep the phone on your hip, and the headset on your ear with no static?
    I'd think so. I can leave the phone in a purse hanging on my shoulder -- no static.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Of course, there's still that issue I mentioned above that will keep me away from the 700. It is this: I will not become a VZW customer.
    VZW gets on my last one so I can't say anything to change your opinion. As soon as a carrier gives me better coverage (coverage across the US -- not just within a city) than VZW, I'm out! Every couple of years, I try out another carrier for the 15 days (or 1 month in the case of Cingular/AT&T) and I'm disappointed.

    I still may return this phone -- 7 days left
  8. blee4's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    #8  
    Actually I agree with you totally, the Palm OS is a crippled broken steaming pile of poo stitched together. My first palm was a Vx, I used it for a few years than dropped PDA’s all together than finally when the 650 came out I gave palm another chance. I wouldn’t say huge mistake but it was disappointing given the amount of time that has passed since the Vx first came out there aren’t that many improvements. The thing I noticed was no native file manage which I thought was just incredibly stupid how do you allow someone to put 1-2GB sd cards on their Treo and not expect them to want to throw files on them let alone manage those files. The OS isn’t customizable the fact that the side buttons are limited to “ring tone volume” and a shortcut key is just again plain stupid lack of foresight how often do you need to change ring tone volume seriously?? That and I have to download a hack buttler to allow me to change it into a scroll/select button and the list goes on. I’m not saying Windows Mobile 5.0 is perfect but at the very least I can say its in active development.
  9. #9  
    Well I have had Sprint for years now. I am glad to get rid of them. I never had issues with phone or call quality but the customer service is the worst. There were some times I wanted to go postal on those people.

    Bluetooth works extremely well. I was amazed at how well. It works in the next room. The other day I forgot I was using the bluetooth headset and I left my phone on my desk and walked to the next room and laid down while I was talking! It didn't dawn on me until the call was over.

    Out of the box the 700w does more and supports more. Supporting apps will be coming that add some needed things like threaded SMS.

    Pdf support is great PERIOD. I can now view my faxes without issues.

    EVDO is one of the best things to ever happen to me. It's almost up there with the day my son was born.

    As for one hand navigation it works fine for me but that's because I don't mind tapping the screen with my thumb occasionally. However, I am just a little confused as to why everyone makes such a huge deal about complete one hand support. The only time this is an issue from me is when I am driving and although I do some things while I am driving I try to limit what I do. Anytime I am looking to do anything serious I usually have the luxury of using both hands. Can anyone give me some situations where one handed operations are critical. I am not trying to be funny or anything. I am genuinely curious.
  10. #10  
    I've been all around with carriers since cellular has been released. They all have "bad" customer service. In fact I don't think there is anything such as "good" customer service, even in 5 star hotels I have had "bad" customer service. We're not going to get butler type service from mass marketed price competitive products and services, ever. I have found that pretty much anybody will work with me if I'm persistent patient and "mostly" polite and if I'm willing to do my own homework. I'm curious to try out Verizon. I'm with Sprint, now. I can't use my Treo 650 in my new office building 95% of the time because of reception. I'm going snowboarding in Montana in a couple of weeks and there's no Sprint coverage but Verizon has it. Which means no internet for me. Don't know if I can take that.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Well I have had Sprint for years now. I am glad to get rid of them. I never had issues with phone or call quality but the customer service is the worst. There were some times I wanted to go postal on those people.

    Bluetooth works extremely well. I was amazed at how well. It works in the next room. The other day I forgot I was using the bluetooth headset and I left my phone on my desk and walked to the next room and laid down while I was talking! It didn't dawn on me until the call was over.

    Out of the box the 700w does more and supports more. Supporting apps will be coming that add some needed things like threaded SMS.

    Pdf support is great PERIOD. I can now view my faxes without issues.

    EVDO is one of the best things to ever happen to me. It's almost up there with the day my son was born.

    As for one hand navigation it works fine for me but that's because I don't mind tapping the screen with my thumb occasionally. However, I am just a little confused as to why everyone makes such a huge deal about complete one hand support. The only time this is an issue from me is when I am driving and although I do some things while I am driving I try to limit what I do. Anytime I am looking to do anything serious I usually have the luxury of using both hands. Can anyone give me some situations where one handed operations are critical. I am not trying to be funny or anything. I am genuinely curious.

    It's also my question: why the one hand operation make so big difference? Most of us have two hands. I use my treo 650 with two hands most of time. I rarely use my stylus, not because it is not needed, but because it is almost impossible to draw it out when my treo 650 is in a case. Instread, I use my finger to tap the icons and links. I do the same thing in other PDA too. I don't really think the one hard operation in treo 650 is very useful since I am not patient enough to cycle through all those control elements: one tap can save more than 5 naviation key clicks.

    Maybe for some people who has only one hand, one hand operation is essential, but for most normal person, I didn't see the point.
    Treo 750 unbranded T-mobile, HTC WIZARD 8125 T-MOBILE (broken), Treo 650 T-mobile 1.43/1.14 OS 5.4.8 Garnet (sold).
    Dell X50v, X30 624Mhz and HP ipaq h2210 h1945.

    Treo 750 hacks thread.
  12. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon
    I UPGRADED to the new Treo 700w after toiling over previews, articles and chat forums for MONTHS and after finally having 72 hours to judge for myself, my response is.....Are all of you fanatical palm enthusiasts and 700w critics MAD?!?
    It seems to me that there is absolutely NO comparison. I've always like Palm OS but have always been frustrated with the instability of the platform as a whole based on the limited function of the OS itself (no multi-tasking) and the overdependence on third party applications to provide BASIC NECESSARY functionality, promoting endless and random soft resets. I also find it IMPOSSIBLE to overlook how much tweaking was necessary to even get the 650 to the point where it was competently outfitted.
    Out of the box, Palm OS has no basic file management, nor does it support many media formats natively. For crying out loud, before volumecare I couldn't even hear my phonecalls. Hacks here and firmware patches there coupled with slow internet speeds, no push e-mail, no wifi card support, and on and on. Again, I enjoyed my palm devices but was always keenly aware of their shortcomings.
    Now the 700w is out and most of what I read is clear nitpicking and what seems to me microsoft bashing, coupled with BLIND Plam OS loyalty.
    The 700w is clearly an UPGRADE from the 650 and is hands down a superior handset.
    What is funny is watching all the posts fly from people about how the 700w is a better phone than the 650 couple with the complaining that it's really all about Palm OS users bashing Microsoft's OS. So what is your point? That the 700w as a WM phone is an upgrade over the 650 as a Palm phone and Palm OS users just hate Microsoft?

    You and several people in this thread are, respectfully, in another world than what I'm seeing here. 650 users aren't comparing the 700w to the 650 but to other WM phones. As a competitor in the WM market, the 700w is average at best. The point that almost every 650 owner whom I've read who has complaints about the 700w seems to say is that if they were going to migrate to a WM based phone they wouldn't choose the 700w.

    I plan on moving to a WM based phone. The 650 came out a long time ago. As a phone, the 700w is barely an upgrade if you strip the OS out of the phone. You lose a good deal in resolution and get an EVDO radio and more program storage (but little in the way of comparable area to run programs). That's basically it. If I'm spending $600 or $450 and a 2 year contract commitment I better get a whole lot better than a radio upgrade.

    Guys, enjoy your 700w Treos. I'm sticking with my 650 until I find the WM phone that impresses me enough to shell out that kind of cash. With all the WiFi phones and the extra program memory since a GREAT MANY of us will use the phone as a PDA, there is no question in my mind that the 700w is unfortunately lacking and typical of Palm's underequipping its phones with RAM. Glad it's working now for you. But if it doesn't later, don't complain here.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    here come the "memory" hounds, they'll be followed by the "no way is the screen that bright and clear" hunting group, then the "no wi-fi" crew will be in to support all of the other's claims and more. go ahead, search around for my posts on most all of these subject matters. some think that we've got rocks in our head to have purchased a device with only 32mb of ram, some think that spending $ on EVDO via VZW versus having wi-fi is another sin. i'm not certain why they can't say "hey, good looking phone, great for those who enjoy windows and who don't need 26 different apps to get through a workday." hec, there are some out there who would comment on the product without having any kind of real working knowledge. just because it doesn't have a supposed "industry spec" amount of ram doesn't make it a bad phone, it only limits it from doing that much more. as for all of those power users out there, let me say this: real power users can't use pda's, they use laptops/desktops to get "real" business done.

    i like this device so far.
    oalvarez, a lot of these "hounds" that have followed your posts...which I am probably counted among them....are not hounding on the lack of memory, that there is no WIFI, data costs more with VZ, etc.....to trash the 700w. But I have seen a lot of them simply point out the pros and cons and to simply say, be aware of the 700w's benefits and of it's limitations. Be aware of what features are available in other current WM phones. If the 700w suites your needs then you are going to love it. If your needs exceeds the limitations, then you will be disappointed. Simple as that, nothing more and nothing less.

    This is the view I shared several times in this forum and live by whenever I shop and buy a new phone.
  14. #14  
    One Handed Operation:

    There are a couple things here. I hate taking out the stylus because i think i'm going to lose it, for starters.

    As far as one handed operation, I notice immediately when a new program on my Treo 650 doesn't have one handed support. I admit that it's hard to imagine why in the abstract, but let me give it a try. Sometimes I'm holding onto a bag, or subway pole, or pushing a cart, or my hand is otherwise occupied. I don't drive, but I imagine this is a problem if you're at a stop light.

    Come to think of it, the most common problem is that I'm probably carrying a shopping bag. I live in New York where we carry a lot of things home, so this isn't a totally uncommon occurance. Also, grabbing handrails while i go up stairs (reading email in the subway is pretty common for me), and the like....

    ... it's hard to put a finger on it. I admit that I probably care about one handed operations for certain things more than others, and the need for universal one handed use is probably overstated. At the very least though, I think I need my Phone, my Calender, my Task List (including shopping list) to be one handed. It would be nice if email and browsing is as well. One handed music player operation would be nice but not absolutely necessary.

    Just a thought.

    -----
    Verizon with Treo 650, seriously considering XV6700 or Treo 700.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What is funny is watching all the posts fly from people about how the 700w is a better phone than the 650 couple with the complaining that it's really all about Palm OS users bashing Microsoft's OS. So what is your point? That the 700w as a WM phone is an upgrade over the 650 as a Palm phone and Palm OS users just hate Microsoft?

    You and several people in this thread are, respectfully, in another world than what I'm seeing here. 650 users aren't comparing the 700w to the 650 but to other WM phones. As a competitor in the WM market, the 700w is average at best. The point that almost every 650 owner whom I've read who has complaints about the 700w seems to say is that if they were going to migrate to a WM based phone they wouldn't choose the 700w.

    I plan on moving to a WM based phone. The 650 came out a long time ago. As a phone, the 700w is barely an upgrade if you strip the OS out of the phone. You lose a good deal in resolution and get an EVDO radio and more program storage (but little in the way of comparable area to run programs). That's basically it. If I'm spending $600 or $450 and a 2 year contract commitment I better get a whole lot better than a radio upgrade.

    Guys, enjoy your 700w Treos. I'm sticking with my 650 until I find the WM phone that impresses me enough to shell out that kind of cash. With all the WiFi phones and the extra program memory since a GREAT MANY of us will use the phone as a PDA, there is no question in my mind that the 700w is unfortunately lacking and typical of Palm's underequipping its phones with RAM. Glad it's working now for you. But if it doesn't later, don't complain here.
    Slinky,

    My point here is just to present my perspective based on the observations that I have made.
    I will respectfully disagree with your point on 650 users not comparing to the 700w. I have read nearly every post in this forum regarding the matter and have found this to predominantly be the case.
    Having said that, I simply wanted to be certain that there is a variety of viewpoints and perspectives out there on the 700w. I feel that I am competent, experienced user and find the phone to be a wonderful improvement over my 650. I want other members to take this viewpoint into consideration as well as the overcriticism that I seem to find populating a majority of the posts.
    It does in fact seem that we are indeed in "another world". I don't think that the 700 is "average at best" in the WM5 market, 32mb or not. Discounting the OS and calling this a "radio upgrade" I believe is a mistake.
    I got my 700 as an upgrade from a new 650 that I had been sent as a replacement for my damaged model, so out-of-pocket was around $100. Lots of other posts give testement to $300 with a 2-year contract, $100 new every two cash in, and unlimited data plan. Unlimited data @ $40/mo. also neagted much of the "built-in" necessity of the wi-fi...why be tied to a hotspot when you can surf most anywhere at basically the same speeds?
    I definately use my phone as a PDA, thats why this was the one I chose, and it is most certainly working well for me. Beleive me Slinky, you won't be hearing me complain.
    Since Palm always so underequips their phones, I take it you won't be a Treo user much longer? Probably moving to a WM5 phone thats "...a whole lot better than a radio upgrade"
    Meanwhile, you enjoy yours and those of us in the other world will enjoy ours! I guess that why theres chocolate and vanilla!
  16. #16  
    im never leaving Cingular, so until they get the 700, i wont even be touching one
    Nexus One
    HTC Inspire "4G"
    HP Veer "4G"
  17. #17  
    If this 700w vs. Palm OS wasn't a questionable thing then there would be NO threads debating it.

    If the 700w was that far superior to Palm OS there would be no debate, it would be a no brainer, open and shut case. But apparently this isn't the case.
  18. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stozmon
    Slinky,

    My point here is just to present my perspective based on the observations that I have made.
    I will respectfully disagree with your point on 650 users not comparing to the 700w. I have read nearly every post in this forum regarding the matter and have found this to predominantly be the case.
    Having said that, I simply wanted to be certain that there is a variety of viewpoints and perspectives out there on the 700w. I feel that I am competent, experienced user and find the phone to be a wonderful improvement over my 650. I want other members to take this viewpoint into consideration as well as the overcriticism that I seem to find populating a majority of the posts.
    It does in fact seem that we are indeed in "another world". I don't think that the 700 is "average at best" in the WM5 market, 32mb or not. Discounting the OS and calling this a "radio upgrade" I believe is a mistake.
    I got my 700 as an upgrade from a new 650 that I had been sent as a replacement for my damaged model, so out-of-pocket was around $100. Lots of other posts give testement to $300 with a 2-year contract, $100 new every two cash in, and unlimited data plan. Unlimited data @ $40/mo. also neagted much of the "built-in" necessity of the wi-fi...why be tied to a hotspot when you can surf most anywhere at basically the same speeds?
    I definately use my phone as a PDA, thats why this was the one I chose, and it is most certainly working well for me. Beleive me Slinky, you won't be hearing me complain.
    Since Palm always so underequips their phones, I take it you won't be a Treo user much longer? Probably moving to a WM5 phone thats "...a whole lot better than a radio upgrade"
    Meanwhile, you enjoy yours and those of us in the other world will enjoy ours! I guess that why theres chocolate and vanilla!
    The bottom line is that your post reflects FAR more about the benefits of WM over Palm OS than it does the actual difference between the Treo 650 and 700w. Essentially it seems that having a phone with EVDO and WM provides a superior experience than a phone with 1XRTT access and Palm OS. I'm simply trying to clarify this.

    I find it unfortunate that the Treo for WM that SHOULD have been built to be market competitive would have had the Microsoft standard 64MB or RAM and built-in WiFi or a reasonable WiFi option (1-2GB SD Card that costs no more than $100)
  19. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #19  
    microsoft loyalists vs palm loyalists.

    im makin' popcorn right now for this one! this oughta be good!
    I gotta have more cowbell
  20. #20  
    "If this 700w vs. Palm OS wasn't a questionable thing then there would be NO threads debating it."

    Sure, your logic certainly seems sound. And, if the Jedi knight vs. Darth Vader thing wasn't a genuinely questionable matter, then there world be No one debating that either.

    if someone with a 650 wants to buy a 700w, the decision is going to be based on largely subjective factors (far more so than a move from a 600 to a 700w which is likely to include more objective factors),
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions