Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    oalvarez, a lot of these "hounds" that have followed your posts...which I am probably counted among them....are not hounding on the lack of memory, that there is no WIFI, data costs more with VZ, etc.....to trash the 700w. But I have seen a lot of them simply point out the pros and cons and to simply say, be aware of the 700w's benefits and of it's limitations. Be aware of what features are available in other current WM phones. If the 700w suites your needs then you are going to love it. If your needs exceeds the limitations, then you will be disappointed. Simple as that, nothing more and nothing less.

    This is the view I shared several times in this forum and live by whenever I shop and buy a new phone.
    Thanks King Hobbes, appreciate your comments. I like this phone over my old SPrint Treo 650, and I also love it when comparing it to my old 6601 which I'm contemplating running over with my car. As I've been saying, the Treo 700 works for me, so far, and i'm sure it's working out for thousands of Americans across the country.

    Simple as that, nothing more and nothing less!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by likestech
    "If this 700w vs. Palm OS wasn't a questionable thing then there would be NO threads debating it."

    Sure, your logic certainly seems sound. And, if the Jedi knight vs. Darth Vader thing wasn't a genuinely questionable matter, then there world be No one debating that either.

    if someone with a 650 wants to buy a 700w, the decision is going to be based on largely subjective factors (far more so than a move from a 600 to a 700w which is likely to include more objective factors),

    I think the point is in regards to the OP that the 700w is a little closer overall to the 650 then he stated. Granted you do gain some features, but at the same time you lose some features. I think the Palm Vs. WM thing will come down to personal choice.

    Don't get me wrong, am eyeballing it.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    What is funny is watching all the posts fly from people about how the 700w is a better phone than the 650 couple with the complaining that it's really all about Palm OS users bashing Microsoft's OS. So what is your point? That the 700w as a WM phone is an upgrade over the 650 as a Palm phone and Palm OS users just hate Microsoft?

    You and several people in this thread are, respectfully, in another world than what I'm seeing here. 650 users aren't comparing the 700w to the 650 but to other WM phones. As a competitor in the WM market, the 700w is average at best. The point that almost every 650 owner whom I've read who has complaints about the 700w seems to say is that if they were going to migrate to a WM based phone they wouldn't choose the 700w.

    I plan on moving to a WM based phone. The 650 came out a long time ago. As a phone, the 700w is barely an upgrade if you strip the OS out of the phone. You lose a good deal in resolution and get an EVDO radio and more program storage (but little in the way of comparable area to run programs). That's basically it. If I'm spending $600 or $450 and a 2 year contract commitment I better get a whole lot better than a radio upgrade.

    Guys, enjoy your 700w Treos. I'm sticking with my 650 until I find the WM phone that impresses me enough to shell out that kind of cash. With all the WiFi phones and the extra program memory since a GREAT MANY of us will use the phone as a PDA, there is no question in my mind that the 700w is unfortunately lacking and typical of Palm's underequipping its phones with RAM. Glad it's working now for you. But if it doesn't later, don't complain here.
    Hello from the other world, Slinky! I've owned both Palm OS and WM3 and now WM5. I enjoy WM over the Palm OS. I enjoy this Treo 700 (so far) much more than any other pda device I've owned (600, 650, 730, blackberries). Is that ok with you? I'm not sure why you have so much difficulty with it. I don't care why you don't like the Treo 700 or Verizon or any of the other reasons you cry foul about. I like it and that's all that matters to me.

    Have a nice day!
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Thanks King Hobbes,
    Cool....looks like I got promoted!!!!
  5. #25  
    sorry gotta totally disagree here.....the 700 does not complete the package of a "smartphone" at all. The 650 is the all around leader with email, pim, phone, etc.

    I have over 20 apps loaded on my 650 and they perform fast and smooth. Sure it has its hiccups but blows away the 700 when it comes to total one device fits all apps solution.

    If I added 10 apps to the 700 it would sink big time - you have to look at it from a smartphone perspective and it doesnt complete this definition in my opinion.
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  6. #26  
    Hmmm...

    You are not running 20 apps concurrently on your 650. Yes, you can switch back and forth quickly and you can bring up pop-up hacks but that is different.

    I've added a lot more than 10 apps and many of these can be run concurrently. 4 of these are always running and I can bring up 4-6 (depending on the size) before it starts acting up.

    3am Labs Remote Control
    All Mobile Mines
    Apsoft Systems apMemo
    Astraware Cubis
    Astraware Sudoku 1.2
    Audible - Inc. AudiblePlayer
    Birdsoft HandOCrazy8s
    C. Ghisler & Co. Total Commander
    China Starsoft MineSweeper
    DDH SW HanDBase and Forms for Pocket PC
    DinarSoft HandyLauncher 3.2
    DinarSoft HandyMenu 3.5
    DinarSoft HandySwitcher 2.5
    DinarSoft MemMaid 1.44
    DinarSoft TapText
    DoubleBit Software Pocket TV Browser
    Expose dbManager
    Expose MyPersonalDiet
    Flatfish TOMBO
    GarishKernels Egress 2.4.0-
    GreenSoftware GSFinder+
    GreenSoftware GSPlayer
    Laridian PocketBible
    Mapopolis.com Mapopolis
    Micaceler Pocket Bornes
    Micaceler Pocket Mancala
    Microsoft Remote Display Control
    Morawietz Smart Mahjongg
    Olive Tree Bible Software
    Paragon Software one for all Solitaires
    PHM Registry Editor
    PocketStreamer Pro
    portalPPC +Startpage 2.0
    SbpTime
    SBSH Pocket Weather 1.2
    SBSH.net PocketBreeze 5.0
    Sprite Backup (beta)
    Tlogi Solutions SpreadEm 1.2
    WESTTEK Clearvue PDF Viewer
    WESTTEK ClearVue Presentation

    Let's keep it real. The 650 is a cool device and probably not worth dumping (unless you need EVDO) but without the right launchers and apps like PowerRun or TealAlias, you are still limited.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    my old 6601 which I'm contemplating running over with my car.
    If you hate it so much and are contemplating trashing it.....let me know and I will buy it from you! Seriously. Since it is such a bad phone, how about $50? I will paypal you right away.
  8. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Hello from the other world, Slinky! I've owned both Palm OS and WM3 and now WM5. I enjoy WM over the Palm OS. I enjoy this Treo 700 (so far) much more than any other pda device I've owned (600, 650, 730, blackberries). Is that ok with you? I'm not sure why you have so much difficulty with it. I don't care why you don't like the Treo 700 or Verizon or any of the other reasons you cry foul about. I like it and that's all that matters to me.
    You don't understand because you are in denial, just like many others such as vw2002. It's so, so funny to watch vw2002 write that this is a Palm loyalists battle right after my post which says that I plan on switching to a WM device!

    Heck, I understand why you like your 700w and that is FINE. FINE! The fact is that for similar money I can do a whole lot better feature-wise than the 700w without the fear of the low program RAM issue -- whether or not it really is a problem, which logic, reason and experience of others dictates is the case with anyone who plans on using the 700w as a PDA with third party applications. So I'm happy that the issues aren't presenting an issue FOR YOU. But the fact remains that unless there are workarounds for AT LEAST the following: (1) WiFi without losing your SD storage (2) WiFi + Storage at a *reasonable* price (3) 64MB RAM or equivalent as is suggested by MS and provided in every other WM phone, (4) 240x240 incompatibilities for some important apps, then these issues remain issues for other people.

    I'm not sure it can be explained clearer.
  9. #29  
    My 650 isn't exactly a RAM god (especially after using a Zodiac2 w/128megs); with Goodlink I barely have enough room for other programs and wind up with DTG on an SD card; forget running PalmMame. I really like the 650 and Palm OS(actually moreso than WM5); but it comes down to whatever fits the user's needs best is teh right solution.

    IMHO, Palm needs to come out with a real multitasking OS so I can browse and switch to another app and go back to the browser without reloading the pages; plus get out a Palm Treo with EVDO.

    For now, I'm carrying my 700w and TungstenC to have the best of both worlds.

    Jim
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    You don't understand because you are in denial, just like many others such as vw2002. It's so, so funny to watch vw2002 write that this is a Palm loyalists battle right after my post which says that I plan on switching to a WM device!

    Heck, I understand why you like your 700w and that is FINE. FINE! The fact is that for similar money I can do a whole lot better feature-wise than the 700w without the fear of the low program RAM issue -- whether or not it really is a problem, which logic, reason and experience of others dictates is the case with anyone who plans on using the 700w as a PDA with third party applications. So I'm happy that the issues aren't presenting an issue FOR YOU. But the fact remains that unless there are workarounds for AT LEAST the following: (1) WiFi without losing your SD storage (2) WiFi + Storage at a *reasonable* price (3) 64MB RAM or equivalent as is suggested by MS and provided in every other WM phone, (4) 240x240 incompatibilities for some important apps, then these issues remain issues for other people.

    I'm not sure it can be explained clearer.
    We finally agree on something: Yes, you can find a more feature rich pda than the 700 for similar money, no doubt about it. The problem is that i absolutely hate all of those other pda options out there. I have owned lots and what I have found is that the Treo form-factor is best for me. I don't care for the Palm OS and I actually don't mind paying Verizon whatever $ they charge (i like the coverage, evdo, family plan, customer service, etc). Having said that, this new Treo 700 is best for me, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the next best form factor that either they or some other carrier offer. I absolutely agree with you on the issue of relative value, no doubt about it. Will I return this 700 this week in hopes of the Moto Q being released sometime soon? Maybe, maybe not, but as you can see, form factor is the most important thing to me.

    as for the "denial" statement, thanks for the laugh.

    regards
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/16/2006 at 11:41 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    If you hate it so much and are contemplating trashing it.....let me know and I will buy it from you! Seriously. Since it is such a bad phone, how about $50? I will paypal you right away.

    Thanks for the bid, Hobbes, I appreciate it. I paid almost $80 for the 2400mah extended battery alone. For $50 I'd rather keep it in the drawer for one of the kids to play with it. I've checked on Ebay to see where they are currently being offered, they're almost giving them away for free which doesn't surprise me given all of the options in the slide-out keyboard segment.

    Thanks again.
  12. #32  
    Oh well, it was a chance a chance to recoop at least something for a "worthless" phone that people on eBay are virtually "giving away".
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Oh well, it was a chance a chance to recoop at least something for a "worthless" phone that people on eBay are virtually "giving away".
    have you checked Ebay lately? buy it now for $50? based on the retail price of the phone last year and where they are currently offered, i'd say they're just about worthless. one could easily say they're "almost giving them away." i didn't say they were "giving away" as you state.

    again, thanks so much for that tremendous bid of yours, it speaks volumes for what the device is worth (your bid, $50).

    regards.
    Last edited by oalvarez; 01/16/2006 at 06:19 PM.
  14. #34  
    It's been great reading everything in this thread about the new 700W. I have a 650 with Sprint. One of my main uses of the 650 is as a modem while traveling down the road (this while my husband is driving).

    What is the difference in Internet connection between the 650 and 700?

    I have the extended 2 year warranty on my 650. It completely locks up every few days... when I ##377... it tells me that it's an "unknown program" causing the error. I have to soft reboot to make anything work, including just turning on the screen.

    I purchased the phone at CompUSA. Will they allow me to claim the 650 as defective and let me upgrade to the 700w.. paying the difference and buying a new warranty? Any other ideas of how to make the upgrade without spending $400?

    Thanks for the help.
    Kathy
    Collins Hardware
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by collinshardware
    It's been great reading everything in this thread about the new 700W. I have a 650 with Sprint. One of my main uses of the 650 is as a modem while traveling down the road (this while my husband is driving).

    What is the difference in Internet connection between the 650 and 700?

    I have the extended 2 year warranty on my 650. It completely locks up every few days... when I ##377... it tells me that it's an "unknown program" causing the error. I have to soft reboot to make anything work, including just turning on the screen.

    I purchased the phone at CompUSA. Will they allow me to claim the 650 as defective and let me upgrade to the 700w.. paying the difference and buying a new warranty? Any other ideas of how to make the upgrade without spending $400?

    Thanks for the help.
    Well if you're in a big city, the internet connection difference is huge from dialup speed to broadband speed.

    I don't know about your upgrade plan. Right now the 700 is only available from Palm or Verizon and only for Verizon service. At this time, you'd have to return it. If you wait a bit they will get it. No telling when, really, though.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    have you checked Ebay lately? buy it now for $50? based on the retail price of the phone last year and where they are currently offered, i'd say they're just about worthless. one could easily say they're "almost giving them away." i didn't say they were "giving away" as you state.

    again, thanks so much for that tremendous bid of yours, it speaks volumes for what the device is worth (your bid, $50).

    regards.
    They have been going for around $250-300'ish in eBay...I just thought since you were thinking of trashing it, I might get a steal of a deal! Oh well, it was worth a try.
  17. #37  
    Any chance to get a Palm based SprintpCS device with Broadband (EVDO)? I need the SprintPCS network.
    Anybody?
    thanks.
  18. #38  
    Who cares, just use the phone you want. Why do you care what other people use or what other people say aout your phone?

    Here is how this is working. You just spendt $400+ on your phone. If you bought a 650 you are going to justify why the 650 is better. If you bought a 700w, you are going to justify why the 700 is better. If many of these 700 users just bought a 650 they would be debating how great the 650 is.
  19. #39  
    I need a Sprint phone, palm based with broadband (evdo).
  20. #40  
    All i know is that my 700w hasn't reset itself for no apparent reason like my 650 use to....

    Love the EVDO SPEED! Love the multitasking!

    I dont' give two 5hit5 about palm or microsoft. Zero love loss for either one. I've said it before and i'll say it again. Whoever has the deepest pockets is going to eventually write the better software.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions