1.    #1  
    I have just upgraded to the 700w from a Verizon 650. The e-mail sync (even though not real push, might as well be) is really good and much better than before. The bluetooth quality is light years ahead. And the Internet speed is incredible!

That said: "I MISS MY 650!!!" Yet I won't go back because the pro's (for me) outway the cons. But boy do I miss the wonderful well integrated 5-way nav, the better Calendar, the Contacts list, etc. Read the full Treo Central article and you'll know what I mean. They hit the nail on the head regarding this device. What a clunky interface with half a$$ attention to detail. You HAVE to use a stylus to begin to change folders within an e-mail account, get real.

Okay, the question: Can you do a hard reset (completely start Treo out from factory default) and then do a sync to restore your settings? I don't think so from what I've been able to find with research.

Also, anybody know if the "ringtone" field syncs with Outlook so that it would stick if you had to do a hard reset? Or, would I be stuck re-configuring all the ring tones I set?

I had a bit of trouble with Exchange sync and had to remove the account and start over a few times and it ended up doubling some of my contacts. I don't see a way to remove ALL the contacts and then start again from the sync like you could with the 650 using wireless sync. Oh well.

Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(41108),ts=Palm_External2001#hard

Basically, there's very little that gets backed up in a sync. Just the raw data. No customizations you made, etc. Yuck. I'll take HotSync over ActiveSync any day!
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    To switch between email accounts using Messaging use left and right on the 5-way. Also I suggest you get a backup app such as Sunnysoft Backup Manager or Sprite Backup Beta for WM5. I try to backup as I install when the situation appears stable. Then if something new causes a hard reset you can at least get back to a known, good configuration.

Frank

EDIT: And yes there have been reports of restores after hard resets that are flawless. I haven't had to do that yet as I seem to have a stable set of apps.
    Last edited by fmcgirt; 01/14/2006 at 10:39 AM. Reason: more info
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the reply on backup. So what I'm hearing is that out of the box you can't get a full backup and then restore, right? That seems to be what the palm article says that I posted earlier.

Regarding the mail switching, switching accounts is no problem, it is switching folders that's a problem. I would imagine that most people that have such a sophisticated phone are not going to be "one folder e-mail" people. If you have a 700w, try switching from your "Inbox" to a subfolder of the "Inbox" without using your stylus (or finger) on the touch screen. As far as I can tell, you can't do it.

In the long run, I'm going to be okay with this phone, but I'd have to say that the actual user interface is still in its infancy and they need to pay a lot more attention to the details, especially the 5-way nav.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kazooless
    Thanks for the reply on backup. So what I'm hearing is that out of the box you can't get a full backup and then restore, right? That seems to be what the palm article says that I posted earlier.

Regarding the mail switching, switching accounts is no problem, it is switching folders that's a problem. I would imagine that most people that have such a sophisticated phone are not going to be "one folder e-mail" people. If you have a 700w, try switching from your "Inbox" to a subfolder of the "Inbox" without using your stylus (or finger) on the touch screen. As far as I can tell, you can't do it.

In the long run, I'm going to be okay with this phone, but I'd have to say that the actual user interface is still in its infancy and they need to pay a lot more attention to the details, especially the 5-way nav.
    You are right about switching folders - I didn't do a good job of reading your original question. And yes, for now, no out of the box backup/restore. There is some reason to expect that once Sprite releases its WM5 version that Palm may include it without charge. Guess we have to wait and see. But for now the beta version of Sprite Backup will be OK for me. I think the main point is to BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP as you go about trying new apps. And in addition I would copy the .cab file to your SD card so that if you have a hard reset, you can easily re-install it and restore. I keep mine in the same folder on the storage card as my BU files.

Frank